If I reapply at the same store that canned me, what are my chances?

dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
You're right. I don't deserve to deal with ppl, not even coworkers. Therefore, I'm considering work from home jobs. Unfortunately, they all seem to require higher than a high school diploma : (.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:56 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Good luck with your hunt, DD. You seem like a decent person with a problem you are working on. I hope you conquer the problem...and I hope you find a short term solution to your work situation.

You're gonna make it. You are on the right track.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:58 am
The problem can be conquered or at least made manageable.
I have a similar problem. I got it under control.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:59 am
@Ragman,
oops i prolly failed to mention in my last post that both technical competence (work performance) and soft skills (ppl skills) are needed to succeed at any job in the long run. If you suck at either one, you're out. In this case, I suck at the ppl skills part lol. Therefore, I completely deserve what I got.
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:09 am
@dirrtydozen22,
DD: I understand. You seem to be a good person. I think you'll do fine as you learn more about how to manage that anger. Even if you don't ever do front line retail, there's plenty other type of work for you at which you'll excell. Don't feel defeated, as this is ONLY a temp setback. This embarassment will pass...just forgive yourself. Out of curiosity, what do you parents say about this?
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:10 am
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22- ALL jobs require some level of people skills, some much more than others. Even if you are in a back office with one other person, you have to get along with him/her. Working with both bosses and customers require a high level of people skills.

As for your question about what I did, I supervised and then directed psychiatric rehabilitation programs. The work could sometimes be very stressful, especially for entry level staff, who worked with people who were mentally ill. I found that a good deal of the problems that I dealt with at work were not with the clients, but with the staff.

I remember one young man that I had to fire. He was a nice kid, but totally incompetent. I don't know what I was thinking when I hired him. Anyway, when I let him go, we talked about good marriages, and bad marriages. We spoke about how a person could be terrible at one kind of job, and perfectly fine in another.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:13 am
have you ever considered doing some volunteer work, like helping at a food bank, no pressure to stay, leave if you want, but in a volunteer environment you would be surrounded by people who want to be there, this would give you exposure to working with people in a positive environment, combined with therapy this might be a good way to develop better people skills
dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@Ragman,
my parents actually kinda saw it coming a few days b4 I got canned. They told me how urgent my situation was the day I had a fight with my coworker. Then as the four days passed, they kept acting like I'm totally screwed. So the day I got canned, they didn't tear my head off. We were all simply just disappointed as a family.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:43 am
@djjd62,
currently considering that actually. in fact, it could help my resume.
0 Replies