If I reapply at the same store that canned me, what are my chances?

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:19 pm
I realized from answers to "Is it fair of them to fire me?" that what I did was clearly out of line. No employer would tolerate such violent behavior. However, supppose I got my anger issues permanently resolved by the time I reapply. Will they consider me or will they still be concerned that I might lose my temper on the job again?
Note: They're a huge retail corporation and they're always hiring. They get tons of applications and positions fill up very quickly. I'm just concerned that other applicants are better than me. Only 2 managers know about this incident at the fitting room and won't be sharing the details with other managers. Still, is that enough to have that place not even consider me?
Will I be better off applying at another store within the same company?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 6,575 • Replies: 48
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
If you have anger and violence issues, you can be pretty sure they will never rehire you. They'd be open for huge lawsuits for having that knowledge, then rehiring you. They'd lose big time.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ok but they said I'm eligible for rehire in 90 days. b4 they canned me, I only exploded twice. First time was verbally abusing a coworker and second time was days after when I punched the pole in the fitting room. Will they only rehire me if it was at a different store/same company?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
careful, CI. He may not like your answer.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:29 pm
@Ragman,
What's that supposed to mean? FYI, I'm a girl.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:32 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Managers of any corporation have to file a report as to why you were fired. This is a permanent part of your record and viewable by any of the hiring managers within the corporation. If you are considered a "loose cannon" it is unlikely you would be rehired due to insurance issues. I suggest you go to a different company and do not list this company as a reference, or your anger history will come bank to haunt you.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
When I had the responsibility for hiring and firing people, I generally made it a practice not to hire people I fired for cause. If it was simply a matter of incompetence in the job, I could honest give the person a recommendation for another job that I thought better utilized the person's observed strengths. But there is no way I would rehire somebody whose bad behavior upset or frightened customers and/or coworkers nor would I recommend such a person to anybody else.

Best to choose to manage your anger issues and apply somewhere nobody knows of your work history. Take whatever work you can get, behave yourself, prove yourself, and thereby redeem yourself. It can be done. It is a certainty that you can do it if you choose to. And I wish you well.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:39 pm
@Green Witch,
why didn't they tell me that during the canning? Why didn't they tell me the whole truth? they're vicious and vindictive. Some kind of malice aforethought prompted them to get my hopes up and then slam me with "no we can't rehire you." Still that doens't change the fact I regret what I did just cuz I'm pissed. *sighs.*
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:40 pm
i'd look elsewhere, get help for your anger and try to start fresh with an unblemished record, even if they wipe the record clean, you can't erase memories and they'll be watching you like a hawk
Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:42 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I think you should take some anger management courses. After you graduate get a note from the instructor and go back to your original manager at this company. Maybe he would reconsider if he sees you are serious about dealing with your problem. Even if they don''t take you back, the classes will help you deal with life in general and prevent this problem from happening again .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:42 pm
@djjd62,
Great minds think alike.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:20 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Chances are somewhere between "slim chance" and "fat chance". Do you have any idea how many people are looking for work right now? Any kind of work? Subtract the number who have marginal people skills, and the number is still overwhelming.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
@roger,
Excuse me? How do I have marginal people skills? ppl actually like me alot when I'm not angered easily, though the longest that ever lasted was a few months.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:27 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Roger wasn't saying you personally have marginal skills, but rather you could discount the ones who do as competition. At least that is how I read it.
Ragman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:30 pm
@Green Witch,
GW: so you don't think her yelling at people and punching objects in front of customers indicates marginal people skills?
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:32 pm
@Green Witch,
When he said slim chance and fat chance that i'll be rehired, he seemed to be implying that I have marginal ppl skills. But yeah, I acknowledge that shitload of ppl r looking for a job right now and those who could behave better at work will beat me at this competition.
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:38 pm
@Green Witch,
Well, if she doesn't mention this company on her work record, it's going to show up as a former employer during the background check, which all large corporations do.

Also, if she doesn't put them down, there's going to be a gap in her employment history, that she'll have to explain. If she makes up some story about what she was doing during that time, again, she'll be caught during the background check.

Dirty 12, they didn't lie to you. They said after 90 days you would be "eligible" for rehire. That certainly doesn't say they are under obligation to rehire you.

Being violent and/or verbally abusive is reason for immediate termination. I certainly would never hire or rehire someone who was threatening to other employees.

Why do you think you are deserving of rehire?

It doesn't sound like you are willing to be accountable for your actions. That means in your case not blaming the company for lying and being vindictive, but admitting that you royally screwed up.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:40 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

why didn't they tell me that during the canning? Why didn't they tell me the whole truth? they're vicious and vindictive. Some kind of malice aforethought prompted them to get my hopes up and then slam me with "no we can't rehire you." Still that doens't change the fact I regret what I did just cuz I'm pissed. *sighs.*

There are people who have a hard time telling somebody what an idiot or misfit they believe them to be. Perhaps they wanted to spare your feelings as much as possible. And there are also legal ramifications for saying something that could be used as evidence of 'verbal abuse' to an employee on the job or in an exit interview. The fact is, you could actually be eligible for rehire which would be indicated in the personnel manual. That does not translate into your being seriously considered for rehire when you were fired for misconduct.

There are millions of people who have regrets when they screw something up for themselves. I have certainly been there. But unfortunately being sorry doesn't unring the bell.

Decide you will separate your anger and lashing out from this day forward so that you don't find yourself in this position again. And then move on, get another job somewhere else, make yourself into an employee you would be proud of, and develop references that help you get ahead in life. You are young. This is the first day of the rest of your life. You can't undo what is already done, but you can darn sure make the best of things from now on.
roger

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:41 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Read Ragman's comment. I did not mean to say your people skills are marginal. They are not.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 04:46 pm
@chai2,
I deserve to be rehired because this is actually the first time in my life I'm owning up. I'm taking meds, seeing a counselor, seeking an IED (intermittent explosive disorder) diagnosis, and planning on taking anger management classes. I'm sure the company wouldn't lie to me. There just simply wasn't time to tell me everything, which is why I ended up on the internet in the first place. When I wrote "vicious and vindictive," it was just another outburst of anger that I didn't discover the additional information sooner.