Boy, 4, shoots babysitter for stepping on his foot

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:04 am
Quote:

Tue Jan 6, 3:29 pm ET

"JACKSON, Ohio " Police say an angry 4-year-old Ohio boy grabbed a gun from a closet and shot his baby sitter. Nathan Beavers, 18, was hospitalized Sunday with minor wounds to his arm and side after the shotgun attack. Police say another teen was also injured.

Witnesses told police the child was angry because Beavers accidentally stepped on his foot. Beavers was watching the child at a mobile home in Jackson with several other teenagers and several other children.

Jackson County Sheriff John Shashteen says authorities are investigating. The child has not been charged."

AP Press

Seriously, society might be cutting children too much slack for bad behavior just cuz they're children.

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:13 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I don't think that a four year old is quite able to understand the ramifications of what he is done. If I were the police, I would be after the parents for allowing a 4 year old access to a gun.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:34 am
@Phoenix32890,
a four year old workin a shotgun is prima faciae that the kid was already being trained to use it.
Was this kid named Adolf by any chance?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:39 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Something does not smell right about this story on it face to say the least.

A four year old dragging out a shotgun and then using it on teenagers?

Seem more likely as there was two teenagers they was the one playing with the shotgun and are trying to place the blame on the kid.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:48 am
@BillRM,
this story was based on reports from several witnesses outside the mobile home. All said the same thing about what happened.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:54 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I did a google news search and found out the story was that a four years old that had seen shotguns being used but was not allow to handle guns himself went into a bedroom and loaded a shell into an empty single shot shotgun and then went back into the living room and discharge it at the baby setter.

I do not buy into this story at all it smell.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:56 am
@BillRM,
maybe it was already loaded by the time he got to that shotgun. Plus, a mobile home is usually one roomed so it's very possible for that kid to just grab that gun and fire a shot in a split second, especially if the babysitter is standing close enough to step on his foot.
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:27 am
@dirrtydozen22,
That not the story. The story is that the shotgun was empty and he open up a draw found a shell open up the shotgun place the shell into the shotgun.

Closed said shotgun and then move it into the living room and discharge it at the babysitter.

Now this is a four years old still do not see something wrong with this story?
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:42 am
@BillRM,
YEh, four years old and loading and discharging a firearm like a shotgun seems almost physically, if not mentally, impossible. A kid could be a good learner but a shotgun (20 gage and up) is really heavy and to open it requires physical attributes of finger length that isnt uaual for a 4 year old kid.
Ill suspend my initial conclusion and , like BillRM, I think theres more to this.
Did the kid deny the charges? Has he been araigned? Did the kid plead out by his attorney? will the kid get a light sentence as a first timer?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:12 am
@dirrtydozen22,
The very fact that a 4yr old could get his hands on any type of gun seems like a tragedy waiting to happen.
Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:00 am
Y'all must be some a them freedom haters I'mSick and Oralloy are always atalkin' about . . . thank Dog this child is able to exercise his constitutional rights!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:12 am
damn skippy set.

this is one teenager won't be stompin' on innocents feets.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:19 am
@rosborne979,
Guns in homes had always been fairly common and growing up in the 50s and 60s off hand I do not remember hearing of kids using them or being harm by them

My father had a hunting rifle and a shotgun in the household up in the attic when I was growing up and I never dream of going near them for some reason or other as there were nothing stopping me other then the fact I knew if I did so I would be in a world of trouble.

The weapons rarely got used as my father was not into hunting all that must. In fact I remember how he once took me and my mother to a shooting club he had just joined along with a brand new shotgun. He was trying to hit a target with solid rounds from the shotgun and was all over the place. He turned to the gentlemen surrounding us and stated that the sights must be off and he would need to go to the gun smith to have them corrected.

My dear mother ask then to try the weapon and as she did not even know how to hold if that cause a great deal of amusement with the men but nothing compare to the amusement that follow when the first shot that she ever fired with a shotgun was dead center on the target.

Poor Dad got us out of there fast and never did return to that club, however my mother being my mother grab the target and then mounted it for years on a wall in our kitchen.

In any case I was a growth adult long out of my parents home before I purchase a colt 1911A 45 and went shooting for the first time.

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:26 am
@BillRM,
My father grew up on a farm in Kentucky with four brothers. Having guns and hunting for food were a way of life. But I remember a real sense of responsibility and safety in that house, and that included not letting the babies in the house get ahold of the guns.
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:56 am
@rosborne979,
A shotgun that is unloaded with the shells in a draw is not something most people would think would be a danger to a four year old.

Shotguns are heavy even small shotguns are heavy and take some strength to handle, that seem off hand far beyond the ability of a ‘baby’ to harm himself or others with unless it happen to fall over on him.

That why the story smell to me.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:42 am
if the child, in fact, shot his babysitter, he might end up in juvie. when the story was published, he wasn't charged...yet.
0 Replies