Relative pronouns - that and who

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

There is absolutely nothing I have written here that comes anywhere near close to what you are asserting here. Nothing.

Where does this come from?

It wasn't all that strong of an assertion, Frank. I said "I think". Where do you think we learn our grammar?

Quote:
Well, that may be your opinion…and I truly do respect that, JTT…but it is not the opinion of many, many people. I’ve seen several books by qualified authors (people I still claim can be considered “language scholars”…who use those terms.) You could probably get a couple of million hits in Google using that. And just because you don't want their opinions to count really is not the operative factor here.

Let’s not get too exclusionary or elitist here!

Frank, it's funny but you are the one that's being elitist. You're trying to suggest that some people have bad grammar. Did you read the AHD? I've provide multiple sources, from true language scholars, and you, well, you've provided nothing but your own personal opinions that "many many people" believe this. Many many people believed the Earth was flat, manny many people have believed a long of cockamamie things and prescriptions are one of those things.

Quote:

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

Perhaps most importantly, since prescriptive rules are so psychologically unnatural that only those with access to the right schooling can abide by them, they serve as shibboleths, differentiating the elite from the rabble.

You still haven't quoted from your sources, the ones that you claim can make the claim to being language scholars, to defend these errant prescriptions.

Quote:
Decent, well-educated, reasonable, well-intentioned people use the terms good grammar and bad grammar…and accept the notion of there being such a thing.

Being decent, well-educated, reasonable, and well-intentioned hardly makes one qualified to pass judgment on things they know little or nothing about. But you know this already.

Quote:

C’mon! For all I know, Pinker has a bug up his ass about something…and has gone off on a tangent on the issue. Academics do that sort of thing, you know! For all I know, you are Pinker...or his son or a friend...or for whatever reason, his word is gospel to you.

I understand all that other stuff, but you are trying to make it seem simple minded to refer to what almost any user of the language would call “bad grammar.” What say we get a bit of perspective here.

It is a simple minded notion, Frank. There's just no way to get around it. You're clearly not simple minded, but you entertain this notion because you haven't been exposed to the latest research.

Quote:
Many prescriptive rules are just plain dumb and should be deleted from the usage handbooks. And most of standard English is just that, standard, in the sense of standard units of currency or household voltages. It is just common sense that people should be given every encouragement and opportunity to learn the dialect that has become the standard one in their society and to employ it in many formal settings. But there is no need to use terms like "bad grammar," "fractured syntax," and "incorrect usage" when referring to rural and Black dialects. Though I am no fan of "politically correct" euphemism (in which, according to the satire, "white woman" should be replaced by "melanin-impoverished person of gender"), using terms like "bad grammar" for "nonstandard" is both insulting and scientifically inaccurate.

[added emphasis is mine]

Quote:
HOW GRAMMARS OF ENGLISH
HAVE MISSED THE BOAT
There’s been more flummoxing than meets the eye
Charles-James N. Bailey

Consider the possibility that English grammar has been misan¬a¬lysed for centuries because of grammarians’ accepting fundamentally flawed assumptions about grammar and, even more so, about the his¬tory of English"and that this has resulted in a huge disconnect be¬tween English grammars and the genius of the English that really exists. The development of the information age and of English as a world language means that such lapses have greater import than formerly. But what is available on the shelves has fallen into sufficient discredit for grammar to have forfeited its place in the curriculum, unrespected and little heeded by the brighter students.

http://orlapubs.com/AL/L7.html

[click on the orchid and it will download as a MS Word]

Quote:

H2O has the brains of a celery stalk…and he was calling me a moron and calling my posts stupid…in posts containing what goddam near any user of the language would call “questionable” if not “poor” or “bad” grammar. And I called it to his attention.

On your first sentence we agree. What other type of argument would you expect from a celery stalk?

But when it comes to language, even celery stalks know the grammar. That said, to my mind, there's no good or honest or fair reason that someone should have to suffer for doing something that's as natural as breathing. What you do with h2oman on this issue is up to you, but he made no grammatical errors, at least for the two in question.

I doubt that you're going to be convinced about this, Frank, but that really isn't that important. You seem like a fair person. I've provided a great deal of info, good info, that will require some digestion for language clearly isn't the simplistic nonsense that is portrayed by Lederer, Safire, Garner, [that's the lawyer prescriptivist], et al.

Why would the two main authors of the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language have spent ten years of the life doing language research for the book when they could have just read Lederer et al?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:12 am
@JTT,
JTT

I challenged one of the statements you made:

Quote:
There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable.

I have three books on my desk right now (authors I have furnished) that pretty much indicate you are wrong about this. William Safire also considers grammar to be “good” “bad” “acceptable” not acceptable” (whatever words you prefer). There are millions of hits in Google talking about “good” and “bad” grammar.

When I submitted the names, I mentioned that what I expected you to do would be to say, “Well these people are not really language scholars.”

You did.

I suspect no matter who or what I produce…you will define “language scholars” as people who do not subscibe to “that errant, outdated notion.” That way your statement stands no matter what!

But that is just plain bullshit, JTT.

I am not big on this call to authority in the first place. There is another thread active at the moment that has citations from several individuals with impeccable academic credentials in geology and paleontology who claim humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.

These are ******* nut cases…with a Christian axe to grind.

For all I know, Pinker is that kind of person. And like I said, no way for me to know that you are not Pinker...and simply using your own opinions to justify your own opinions.

Under any circumstances, in discussions of this kind…whenever I hear someone be as difinitive as you were in that quoted comment…bells go off. And when I see someone doing the what you are doing with the “these folks are not language scholars so I am correct”…even more bells go off.

I claim your comment up above is incorrect. Despite your constant protestations that I have no evidence but my “opinion”…I have produced four individuals who write about “good” and “bad” English grammar…(substitute acceptable or standard or whatever you want)…and all you have done in defense of your comment is to define them as not being language scholars!

Handle this whatever way you want to, JTT…but if you insist on arguing this way, five years from now we will still be at this. I am not conceding to you nor to your arguments from authority. There is general concensus (which I agree with you is bullshit) that some grammatic constructs are “wrong” and some “correct” (preferred)…and some constructs are more indicitive of substandard intelligence than others.

I will return to the comment up above for as long as it takes to resolve it before moving on to any other aspect of this discussion.

Quote:
Frank, it's funny but you are the one that's being elitist.

Well I can see why my comment to H2O bothered you--and why you consider that he made no grammatical error. Use that construct if you choose...but it sounds moronic to my ear.

JTT

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I challenged one of the statements you made:

"There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable."

I have three books on my desk right now (authors I have furnished) that pretty much indicate you are wrong about this. William Safire also considers grammar to be “good” “bad” “acceptable” not acceptable” (whatever words you prefer). There are millions of hits in Google talking about “good” and “bad” grammar.

When I submitted the names, I mentioned that what I expected you to do would be to say, “Well these people are not really language scholars.”

I'm astounded, Frank. I thought you possessed a greater sense of discernment. What does the mere mention of good and bad grammar on Google have to do with what actually is.

Look what 'flat earth' brought up.

Results 1 - 10 of about 14,600,000 for flat earth

Why haven't your scholars addressed this very issue, why haven't you? Letty told you, nicely, that you are out to lunch.

Read the bios on your scholars, quote from these mighty tomes the reasoning for this specious little prescription.

Quote:
I suspect no matter who or what I produce…you will define “language scholars” as people who do not subscibe to “that errant, outdated notion.” That way your statement stands no matter what!

But that is just plain bullshit, JTT.

I am not big on this call to authority in the first place. There is another thread active at the moment that has citations from several individuals with impeccable academic credentials in geology and paleontology who claim humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.

These are ******* nut cases…with a Christian axe to grind.

For all I know, Pinker is that kind of person. And like I said, no way for me to know that you are not Pinker...and simply using your own opinions to justify your own opinions.

Forgive me, but this is ignorance, Frank. You say you're not big on "this call to authority" yet you run to "authorities" that cannot even provide you with anything to support your contention.

Then you go off on some crazy tangent, trying to lump Professor Pinker, whose CV is longer and more academic than all the authors from every language book you possess, with some wacky Christians; that's truly wacky in and of itself, Frank.

I posted Safire's bio. Did the man even attend a university? He is not even a language authority, let alone a language scholar. He knows nothing of the workings of language. He is like every other prescriptivist, he merely parrots outdated canards and when pressed to defend them he is, not so strangely, silent.

Same for Lederer. Here's a series of emails that gives an excellent indication of just how professional, just how scholarly Richard Lederer is.

Quote:
Dear Mr Lederer,

I'm trying to track down, for a paper I'm writing, any speech or written replies made in response to Steven Pinker's comments about "language mavens" in his book "The Language Instinct".

Did you personally address any of his comments in any public forum? I would be very grateful if you could point me to any internet or magazine articles in which you or other purported "mavens" responded to Mr Pinker's comments.

Thank you

Mr Lederer replied:
I apologize for being so late in responding to your inquiry below, but I don;t have any useful information toi [sic] share with you about these responses to Pinker's book.

============

Thank you for your reply, Mr Lederer. Can I take it to mean that you have never made any response or that your responses weren't, as you put it, "useful"?

Actually, anything that has been written/spoken in response to the material contained with that book would be very useful for my paper.

If I may impose just a wee bit more on your time, have you encountered any public responses from the people who were discussed in that book?

Thank you again
------- --------

Mr Lederer replied:

Subject: Re: your inquiry
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:52:55 -0800

You're right. In my rush to catch up with my email, I wasn't clear. I never issued any response and never encountered any response from other mavens.

=================

Thank you again for your response, Mr Lederer.

Part of my article addresses this very issue that you've raised with your reply. Why haven't there been any responses, by you or anyone, to the issues adressed by S Pinker in The Language Instinct?

This is truly puzzling for it seems to me that language professionals would defend their respective positions. Would you care to comment further on this? It would be most helpful if you would.

Sincerely,
----------- -----

Mr Lederer replied:
I have nothing additionally helpful to add here.

Quote:
I will return to the comment up above for as long as it takes to resolve it before moving on to any other aspect of this discussion

If that's to be your out, Frank, there's not much one can do. But since you believe that 'that' can't be used when referencing people, I hope you're going to stop saying, "that person" [29.4 million hits]; "that man" [26.5 mill]; "that child" [13.6 mill];

"the man that" [3.56 mill] the first one is Mark Twain - The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg

This points up the ignorance of the prescriptive mentality. They can't even see what's going on around them.

"the woman that" [274 thousand]

"the people that" [15.1 million]

Now, of course, you can put this all to rest with a few quotes from your pile of sources showing how 'that' used for people is ungrammatical/incorrect/bad language/...
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:58 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Now, of course, you can put this all to rest with a few quotes from your pile of sources showing how 'that' used for people is ungrammatical/incorrect/bad language/...

We’ll get to that in due time.

Right now though, the thing you are evading here is the discussion of your comment:
Quote:
There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable

I already have produced names of language scholars who do…and you have simply dismissed them as not being language scholars…which, as I mentioned, is what I expected you to do.

So we are still hashing that out.

When we get finished with that, we’ll go on to other things.

Sorry you have such a hard on for Richard Lederer, JTT; his book is a delight. A joy for anyone who enjoys words and language.

Not sure why you are so intent on trashing him...don't remember him saying anything bad about you.

Anyway...what about Kingsley Amis and Edward D. Johnson…who wrote books detailing what they consider proper grammar? What about them?

I want to establish that you are not just bullshitting me…that there are "no language scholars AT ALL who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion”, JTT.

The ball is in your court since you demand that it be.

By the way"do you have something going with Pinker. You mentioned him in your emails to Lederer also. Sounds like some hanky panky!
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

We’ll get to that in due time.

Right now though, the thing you are evading here is the discussion of your comment:
Quote:
There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable

I already have produced names of language scholars who do…and you have simply dismissed them as not being language scholars…which, as I mentioned, is what I expected you to do.

So we are still hashing that out.

When we get finished with that, we’ll go on to other things.

Frank, please, get real. You have produced not an iota showing that these gents are anything at all but song and dance men. I produced Lederer's Bio, written by Lederer himself. There's nothing there that shows any scholarship at all, nothing, zero.

Quote:
Sorry you have such a hard on for Richard Lederer, JTT; his book is a delight. A joy for anyone who enjoys words and language.

Not sure why you are so intent on trashing him...don't remember him saying anything bad about you.

I'm not trashing him at all. He does that to himself. A PhD in Linguistics and he can't even defend his position. He's a song and dance man, Frank. How can it be that he's got a bright guy like you fooled?

Is his book a delight? Read a little deeper and you'll note that he talks not at all about grammar. He's incapable of it. His books are so stultifyingly mundane.

If you took the time to research it, you'd likely find that even in his "area of expertise", he's likely scrimped on the research.

Quote:
Anyway...what about Kingsley Amis and Edward D. Johnson…who wrote books detailing what they consider proper grammar? What about them?

Yes, Frank, what about them? As I said, it's your carry. Set out their credentials.

Quote:
By the way"do you have something going with Pinker. You mentioned him in your emails to Lederer also. Sounds like some hanky panky!

Frank, it is imperative that you have the facts before you put your mouth in motion. There's a very good reason that Steven Pinker was mentioned in the emails. You're starting to make as much sense as h20man.

Why don't you address the pertinent issue? Here we have someone that you regard as a language scholar making weak excuses for his lack of intellectual honesty and you throw these red herrings, really poor ones at that, out for, what possible reason?

Frank, come on, get off the pot. You advance this prescription, you think you have a handle on this and in all these postings, there is nothing from you or these scholars on this. How long can it take to peruse a handbook?

A handbook on the English language. I've got a handbook on brain surgery that I'll sell you.
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:27 pm
Quote:

M-W:
usage That, which, who: In current usage that refers to persons or things, which chiefly to things and rarely to subhuman entities, who chiefly to persons and sometimes to animals. The notion that that should not be used to refer to persons is without foundation; such use is entirely standard. Because that has no genitive form or construction, of which or whose must be substituted for it in contexts that call for the genitive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/that[4]

[added emphasis is mine]

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:41 am
@JTT,
JTT...there are books crowding book shelves in bookstores and libraries by language experts talking about good and bad grammar (acceptable or not so acceptable grammar)...

...and if you want to think that anyone who writes such a book is, by definition, not a language scholar...

...do so.

Whatever gets you past whatever devils are eating at you. It is fine with me.

I’m getting lots of enjoyment out of way this thing conversation has gone from reasonable to unreasonable...and I am confident that most of the fault for that departure is on you.

You made a blanket statement that I think cannot be defended.

Quote:
There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable.

If we cannot get past that absolutely absurd assertion…how can we possibly hope to get to the meat of the discussion?

I’d be an idiot to take your debate seriously, JTT…because if you are willing to stick to absurdity, why would I ever expect you to make any concessions where the terrain gets a bit muddier.

Keep on coming back at me. I truly am enjoying this. I see no reason to ever stop it.

And if you ever want to inject a bit of ethical behavior into your presentation, do it by finally disavowing that absurd assertion.

Of course, if you do, the entire balance of your argument goes right out the door, so I don’t expect a “road to Damascus” kind of moment from you.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@JTT,
Quote:
M-W:
usage That, which, who: In current usage that refers to persons or things, which chiefly to things and rarely to subhuman entities, who chiefly to persons and sometimes to animals. The notion that that should not be used to refer to persons is without foundation; such use is entirely standard. Because that has no genitive form or construction, of which or whose must be substituted for it in contexts that call for the genitive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/that[4]

Are you ******* kidding me here, JTT.

You are introducing a passage that talks about proper or acceptable usage from a publication like Merriam Webster…

…in a conversation where you are defending the proposition that “there are no language scholars at all who subscribe to” the errant and outdated notion that there is proper or acceptable usage????

Have you fallen off the edge?
JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you're obviously the one who's been kidding all this time. You advanced a position on the English language, a highly fallacious one, and you've not once defended it, even with the phalanx of language scholars you have at your fingertips. What gives with that?

You've learned well the central theme of prescriptivism, when you have no proof, shout loudly and stamp your feet.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You are introducing a passage that talks about proper or acceptable usage from a publication like Merriam Webster…

The issue isn't a matter of opinion, Frank. That's what's gotten prescriptivists in so much trouble; that they relied solely upon opinion when they derived their foolish notions. That's precisely the same position you find yourself in, hung up on a stump, with nothing but uninformed opinion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:53 pm
@JTT,
JTT…you are being so phony on this thing it is beyond hilarious.

You have asserted that, “There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable.”

I say that is absurd on its face.

I have mentioned that there are library stacks filled with books about good and bad (acceptable/not so acceptable) grammar"and that they were written, in large part, by language scholars.

You have stooped to the expient of labelling anybody who does write on grammar and who does not agree with you and your significant other Dr. Pinker on this issue.…as a non-language scholar.

As far as I am concerned, this is an intellectually cowardly way of dealing with this situtation…and I suspect you realize that. But you are committed.

So am I!

In any case, you just posted a link to an excerpt from the Merriam Webster Dictionary"which, it turns out discussed grammar from the perspective of what is acceptable and what is not.

That certainly is a scholarly source.

So I hereby submit your submission in futherance of my contention that your contention is bullshit.

Your move!
JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
In any case, you just posted a link to an excerpt from the Merriam Webster Dictionary"which, it turns out discussed grammar from the perspective of what is acceptable and what is not.

Point out how they did this, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
@JTT,
Here is the quote you used:

Quote:
M-W:

Why would they use the word "standard" (i.e., it is acceptable) if they thought everything were standard?

Why would they even comment on this...this way...if the operative phrasing should be "of course it is standard (acceptable) everything is?"

Why would they suggest this particular instance is without foundation...if they truly meant to say, no grammatical construct would have the foundation to be considered non-standard or not acceptable?

Obviously the wording implies that considering it non-standard is wrong...and that itself implies that there are non-standard grammatical constructs--but this happens (in their opinion) not to be one of them.

So this is an example of language scholars on the other side of the issue from you.

Why not stop the bullshit, JTT...and simply acknowledge that some language scholars may not agree with you on this?

Oh, I forgot. If you do--your whole argument goes into the toilet...so you've got to continue this farce!

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, the problem is, --- and though I say it pointedly, I'm not saying it with rancor --- you don't even know what you don't know.

Quote:
The notion that that should not be used to refer to persons is without foundation; such use is entirely standard.

First, let's note that you were wrong and you probably owe h20man an apology.

Next, I know that there was a lot to digest in the material I sourced for you, but it seems like you didn't even read it. 'standard' does not mean acceptable/correct/good grammar.

Quote:
" standard English is just that, standard, in the sense of standard units of currency or household voltages".

European countries use 220v and we use 120v and Japan uses 100v. One isn't inherently better than the other, in fact each is a standard itself.

Quote:
using terms like "bad grammar" for "nonstandard" is both insulting and scientifically inaccurate.

Now, the reason that M-W noted that using 'that' as a relative pronoun for people was standard was because they had to counter the ridiculous notion that has been advanced by prescriptivists. We both know what that notion is and just how fallacious it is, don't we. Frank?

Quote:
Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level. They are bits of folklore that originated for screwball reasons several hundred years ago and have perpetuated themselves ever since. For as long as they have existed, speakers have flouted them, spawning identical plaints about the imminent decline of the language century after century. All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition,

So far, the most important thing in this whole thread has not been addressed by you. You can't show, nor offer any proof from that veritable fount of collective wisdom you have on your bookshelf.

Quote:
The name Standard English is perhaps not the best, since it implies a standard against which various kinds of spoken English are to be measured, and this is hardly a fair comparison.

Quote:
These nonstandard varieties of English are no less logical or systematic than Standard English. In this book an expression labeled nonstandard is not wrong; it is merely inappropriate for ordinary usage in Standard English.

Quote:
It is important to remember that formal and informal refer to styles of expression, not standards of correctness. Informal English has its own rules of grammar and is just as logical as formal English. You can be serious using informal English, just as you can be comical using formal English. The two styles are simply used for different occasions.

The quotes above have all been posted in this thread before. Are you sure you read them, Frank?

The rules for speech are much different than the rules for writing. I noted this when I told you that these often are matters of register, as indeed, from a perusal of knowledgeable sources on language, we see they are.

If you still do not understand the differences and what they mean to language, please feel free to ask further.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
If you still do not understand the differences and what they mean to language, please feel free to ask further.

JTT...as respectfully as I can phrase this...I have not asked you anything, so I cannot "ask further"...and I doubt I'll ever ask you anything, because I think you do not know what your are talking about...and I don't see the ethics in you necessary for serious debate or consideration.

You fucked up big time, my friend, by getting involved at all. It was a tit-for-tat thing going on...but you stuck your nose into it. That's your right...just as it is my right to consider it a major **** up on your part.

You further fucked up when you made the absurd assertion that “There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable.”

Anyone with any brains and debating skills knows you do not make assertion like that, because it cannot logically be defended any more than an assertion that there are no unicorns in the universe.

Now you are stuck with a graceful way to exit from this thing with your dignity intact.

That ain’t gonna happen…and it is your own fault.

I’ve given you plenty of material in defense of my contention that your assertion is absurd.

The only thing you’ve done is to pretend that it is reasonable to simply discount anyone who disagrees with you…as not being a language scholar.

This is no longer a discussion or debate...it is a joke. I, at least, am intelligent enough to just treat it for the laughs it provides.

If I can persuade you to continue for as long as possible, I will.

So…you ever going to tell me where you come from? (Gosh, I love ending a sentence that way!)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
That should be "you are" or "you're"
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You fucked up big time, my friend, by getting involved at all. It was a tit-for-tat thing going on...but you stuck your nose into it. That's your right...just as it is my right to consider it a major **** up on your part.

No, Frank, it was not a tit for tat thing. It was you, using one of the cheapest methods known in an attempt to lord over h20man. You were completely wrong and now you're not even man enough to admit it.

Point to one place in the whole thread, Frank, where you have discussed the main thrust of the thread. Let me remind you what that is, Frank.

Is it grammatical to use 'that' as a relative pronoun when referencing people?

Why hasn't there been one quote from you from that stack of books written by those "language scholars"? Not one. That is laughable. That you haven't provided one speck of proof, let alone discussion of the central issue is laughable.

Let me repeat; you don't even have an idea of the amount that you don't know. From this relatively short discussion, on language, it's abundantly clear that that's considerable.

Why not try to actually defend your contention, Frank? You said it's not grammatical, show us how it's not grammatical.

If you like, I could make your apology to h20man for you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:14 am
@JTT,
JTT, your wrote:it was not a tit for tat thing. It was you, using one of the cheapest methods known in an attempt to lord over h20man.[/quote]

You are wrong, JTT. It was a tit for tat thing. I was responding to H2O calling me stupid and ignorant. Go back and check. YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG…AND YOU ARE NOT MAN ENOUGH TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT!

Grow the hell up!

Quote:
You were completely wrong and now you're not even man enough to admit it.

Pot meet kettle; discuss the color black!

When you grow enough balls to “admit” you fucked up by making the statement we have actually been discussing…then we can on to the other item.

We cannot logically go on to that other item"the item you call the thrust of this thread, because you have already shown that you do not have the ethics necessary for reasonable debate. If you did…you already would have acknowledged that your statement that “no language scholars…” was over the top. If you are not even willing to acknowledge an error like this…one as obvious at the monitor screen you are using…what hope is there of you ever acknowledging more subtle arguments?

You cannot make this initial acknowledgement, however, without annihilating your original contention…so you are stonewalling.

I am just stonewalling along side you, ole buddy.

Quote:
If you like, I could make your apology to h20man for you.

I’ve got a better idea of what you can do for me…but I’d hate to have you hurt your back during the contortions necessary for the doing…so I’ll just leave that be.
JTT

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 11:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
You've been stonewalling from the get go, Frank. You're petrified about dealing with the actual issue.

Well, here's the deal. You were flat out wrong when you attempted to correct h2oman. That is indeed a cheap form of "debate", made all the more egregious because you were/are so wrong on the very things you tried to correct.

I read the response. I know why you did it but it isn't germane to this language issue.

Further, why on earth would you think it a good idea to keep bringing up the fact that h2oman called you stupid and ignorant and then go to such great lengths proving him to have been correct, at least as regards language issues.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
@JTT,
JTT

Just can't get yourself to acknowledge that I have dealt with the issue--but that all you've done is to deny that I have.

For the record...here is my first post on the issue:

Quote:
Look…I am trying real hard to handle H2O in a reasonable manner. He started this name calling…with emphasis on my being stupid. I am making every attempt to keep my responses moderate…teasing and provoking…but holding back on the name-calling.

I suspect he is just a kid…and I’m not looking for overkill here; don’t want this to be Mike Tyson stomping on a girl scout. I want to keep my responses proportional. But whether he is a kid or not (or even if he is not a “he”)…the fact remains that he has been slinging insults at me and disparaging my intelligence…and he has been doing so in posts filled with the kind of grammar only ignorant people use. If you want to attribute that or excuse it via “register”…I guess that is your right.

But it seems to me that we are getting to the point where ignorant grammatical mistakes are all excused on the basis of Register…and in light of what has been happening between H2O (his charges)…that excuse is inappropriate here. A more reasoned characterization of them is that they are ignorant grammatical errors"made by a person who is an intellectual lightweight.

If you absolutely have to carry this further, go for it. But the only way I can address what you are raising is to do more of what I am trying very hard not to do.

What say???

I was decent, respectful, reasonable...and I explained myself. That was not good enough for you.

My second response was:

Quote:

The much preferred version would be:

"It's always a great day when liberal loons try to sound superior."

In fact, I would say that "try and" is grammatically incorrect--although I know you argue that it is a register situation.

My feelings are that “register” is being used to excuse poor grammar.

In any case, I wouldn’t make anything of this, except that it sounds ignorant…and it was used in a post calling me ignorant…so I called it to his attention.

Most educated people…particularly when the words are being written rather than spoken…would use the version I called the “preferred” version.

I was decent, respectful, reasonable...and I explained myself. That was not good enough for you.

My third comment on the issue was:

Quote:

I think, though, that there IS a consensus about what is good (or proper) English grammar…and what is not. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Libraries of books have been written about proper English grammar…I have several on my bookshelves.

This is not to say that plenty of leeway is not allowed in casual or informal settings.

But…and this is a big but…there are rules (suggestions, if you will) for what is good or proper English grammar…and what is poor.

I dare say I could go to sites on the Internet or to those books on my bookshelves (not going to do it at this time) where the accepted proper usage for these two words would be as I posted in my first commentary, namely "who" refers to a person"“that” refers to a group or to a thing.

And although I was busting balls with my comments over in the other thread"I do not think it inappropriate to consider usage inconsistent with that “proper usage” to be characterized as “grammatically incorrect.”

My next response was:

Quote:
The three closest to me at the moment, JTT, (there are several more in other shelves) are: Kingsley Amis "The King's English"; Edward D. Johnson "The Handbook of Good English; and Richard Lederer "Play of Words."

Not going to bother with quotes...because I know that there are as many, undoubtedly a lot more, scholars who subscribe to the concept of "good English grammar" and "poor."

Some folks like to defy convention...and often I am one of them. That does not detract from what I said in the other thread...nor from the thrust of my remarks here. Language chaos would result from total disregard of rules of grammar…and what you and Steven Pinker are doing is merely setting arbitrary boundaries for what you accept and what you see as unseemly or unnecessary.

Great. Sorta like OmSigDavid who insists on phonetic spelling. No problem.

But I suspect there is as little chance of concession from me as from you on this issue.

Then in response to my comment: "Not going to bother with quotes...because I know that there are as many, undoubtedly a lot more, scholars who subscribe to the concept of "good English grammar" and “poor.”…"

…you wrote:

Quote:

At that point, I realized that you were not being reasonable or anything else but a pain-in-the-ass. But still I gave one more reasonable, respectful response a try:

Quote:
Well…I submit that you are wrong…and I will say that the authors of just the books I mentioned earlier are all “language scholars” and all subscribe to the notion that there exists both good grammar and bad grammar. In fact, they've written books about it. And I have read other books (not going to look for them now) that have “language scholars” as authors…who see that distinction.

Now you might say, as I am beginning to suspect you may, that any anyone subscribing to the notion cannot be considered a “language scholar.”

Do it if you want.

There are a couple of million hits on the Internet for good grammar…and for bad grammar…and I chose to suspect that there are “language scholars” as contributors.

Under any circumstances, I submit Kingsley Amis, Edward D. Johnson, and Richard Lederer…along with William Safire…as “language scholars”"and all of them suggest there is such a thing as good grammar and bad grammar.?

And you still refused to let up.

You entered an area you should have kept your nose out of...and have acted like a goddam child from the git go...and now you are accusing me of doing that.

**** you very much, JTT.