Relative pronouns - that and who

Miklos7

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:53 pm
@Letty,
Ever since our class system switched from blood lines to bank accounts, it's harder to be considered stuffy by speaking "proper" English. In the current social order--and I do not miss the old one--there are many people with what the NYT calls "sudden money," and most of those with such money seem to employ the usage they always have employed. If one has the good luck to become suddenly rich, is that person going to invest immediately in a tutor to coach him/her in "correct" English? I'll bet that's a very rare move--and it might reflect an uncertainty about one's value as a person that could ultimately undermine the new fortune. There is a continuity here: the upper class, old style or new style, sets the acceptable usage. But clever people of any class know that it's best not to insist on a certain style; that makes other people uncomfortable--and why do that? It's rude.
I am pleased to hear that you, another former English teacher, are a "lousy" speller. I am a near-perfect speller--but not because of any splendid set of rules for English spelling; it's all a matter of rote memory--same as those, to me, stultifying spelling bees. Another boring syndrome: if one spells perfectly, one is always being asked to spell words as if one were a freaking dictionary.
I really think the move towards standardization of English spelling that began 250 or so years ago was a Puritan-style mistake. I love variant spellings; they are a way to be expressive and, sometimes, even witty. Witty is good; it helps life move along more smoothly.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good answer. Thank you. My spelling and grammer suck but I try to express myself as best I can.
JTT

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:01 am
@rabel22,
Quote:
My spelling and grammer suck but I try to express myself as best I can.

They are two different things, Rabel, spelling and grammar. You know the grammar of your language as well as any teacher you ever had. Spelling is an totally artificial part of language that has nothing to do with real language. The hardest thing that anyone will ever do is language and we all deploy the grammar in more or less the same fashion.

You must have been taught grammar in school.

split infinitives, use may for permission, relative pronouns issues, ending a sentence with a preposition, starting a sentence with a conjunction, must use 'were' with if to express a counterfactual, modal verbs have tenses, English has a rigid sequence of tenses regimen, ...

Well, this and the other nonsense wasn't English grammar.

rabel22

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:35 am
@JTT,
I would ask you to explain what you just posted but I wouldent understand so dont bother.
JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:38 am
@rabel22,
In a nutshell, you do NOT have bad grammar. Don't mistake not consciously knowing about grammar with knowing grammar. Very few people consciously understand the grammar of their language.

As a native speaker, you knew virtually all of the grammar of English by the age of five or six. If you didn't know your grammar, you wouldn't be able to speak and I know you can do that.

You might be a poor speller but that has precious little connection to language.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:56 am
@JTT,
I think, though, that there IS a consensus about what is good (or proper) English grammar…and what is not. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Libraries of books have been written about proper English grammar…I have several on my bookshelves.

This is not to say that plenty of leeway is not allowed in casual or informal settings.

But…and this is a big but…there are rules (suggestions, if you will) for what is good or proper English grammar…and what is poor.

I dare say I could go to sites on the Internet or to those books on my bookshelves (not going to do it at this time) where the accepted proper usage for these two words would be as I posted in my first commentary, namely "who" refers to a person"“that” refers to a group or to a thing.

And although I was busting balls with my comments over in the other thread"I do not think it inappropriate to consider usage inconsistent with that “proper usage” to be characterized as “grammatically incorrect.”
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:07 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Quote:
Frank is polarized to the point where some of his substance has transgressed into the fourth state of matter.

Rather a triple pun for those with physics / philosophic backgrounds and some knowledge of his prior postings.

Chumly...over in the thread where we were discussing various matters last week...I asked you repeatedly to cut and paste the remarks with which you were in disagreement…and then to discuss what I actually said"rather than using the highly distorted and misleading paraphrasing you were trying to foist on me.

You didn’t do it.

If you want to have the discussion...go do the cut and paste.

But these smarmy remarks are beneath you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good morning, Frank.

Some of what you've said is true, there is a strong consensus among some people about what is good/proper grammar, but, and this may shock you, it has no scientific validity. If you went to those books, I could probably name a few of them ... Warriners [sp], Fowler, Eric{?} Partridge, Chicago or some other Manual of Style, Stunk and White, Brian the lawyer {I forget his last name},

These are all prescriptive and the problem with prescriptions and prescriptivists is that they never applied any thought to the language issues, they simply repeated the same old canards. Did you read that article I cited?

Quote:
Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level. They are bits of folklore that originated for screwball reasons several hundred years ago and have perpetuated themselves ever since. For as long as they have existed, speakers have flouted them, spawning identical plaints about the imminent decline of the language century after century. All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition, and if they were ever followed they would force writers into fuzzy, clumsy, wordy, ambiguous, incomprehensible prose, in which certain thoughts are not expressible at all. Indeed, most of the "ignorant errors" these rules are supposed to correct display an elegant logic and an acute sensitivity to the grammatical texture of the language, to which the mavens are oblivious.

Quote:
namely "who" refers to a person"“that” refers to a group or to a thing.

We know that's false, Frank, because we all say,

that lady/man/child/guy/gal/girl/boy/...

or

That's Tico/Montana/Bernie/...

An exact phrase google search shows that 'that' is used as a relative pronoun for people.

Results 1 - 10 of about 41,200,000 English pages for "the man who"

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,550,000 English pages for "the man that".

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:45 pm
@JTT,
Article the read I, Jtt, I while and now know there two who people are feel notion of grammar good feel and grammar either bad is , unnecessary absurd,,or headed-wrong…I produce can many people instances of otherwise think who.

I while line bottom…you understand where I are you coming from still I my comment, think guy other in thread made was over holds grammar poor was.

?Agree
JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I read and understood you, Frank, though it's not English. You feel comfortable with English word order, as well you should, but the word order who've chosen to make some point, may well function for another language.

If you can provide something on this particular issue, please feel do, Frank.

A small caveat though that might save us both some time. Please don't just quote someone who repeats the prescription but provides no support.

Did I get a hit on any of your grammar manuals?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:21 pm
@JTT,
The three closest to me at the moment, JTT, (there are several more in other shelves) are: Kingsley Amis "The King's English"; Edward D. Johnson "The Handbook of Good English; and Richard Lederer "Play of Words."

Not going to bother with quotes...because I know that there are as many, undoubtedly a lot more, scholars who subscribe to the concept of "good English grammar" and "poor."

Some folks like to defy convention...and often I am one of them. That does not detract from what I said in the other thread...nor from the thrust of my remarks here. Language chaos would result from total disregard of rules of grammar…and what you and Steven Pinker are doing is merely setting arbitrary boundaries for what you accept and what you see as unseemly or unnecessary.

Great. Sorta like OmSigDavid who insists on phonetic spelling. No problem.

But I suspect there is as little chance of concession from me as from you on this issue.

Francis

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:27 pm
Franck wrote:
...and Richard Lederer "Play of Words."

Amazing, I have it too, along with Oxymoronica..
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:42 pm
@Francis,
Excellent book...filled with all sorts of good, fun information.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm not familiar with Amis, Frank, but one would think that you'd be put off by a title, "The King's English". Wink

Whenever you see "The Handbook ...", "A Handbook ..."don't buy it or the stuff inside it. As if one could describe such a complicated endeavor in a handbook.

Richard Lederer is an absolute joke. In emails requesting he point to articles where he defended his language positions, he was unable to do so. And if I'm not mistaken, the man has got a doctorate. One wonders, in what?

Regardless, I can't dismiss the two I know nothing about, so what do they have to say about this issue?

Quote:
Not going to bother with quotes...because I know that there are as many, undoubtedly a lot more, scholars who subscribe to the concept of "good English grammar" and "poor."

There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable.

Quote:

Some folks like to defy convention...and often I am one of them. That does not detract from what I said in the other thread...nor from the thrust of my remarks here. Language chaos would result from total disregard of rules of grammar…and what you and Steven Pinker are doing is merely setting arbitrary boundaries for what you accept and what you see as unseemly or unnecessary.

"the old language chaos' theory. Native speakers have always ignored these prescriptions, Frank because they are not natural rules of English grammar. And the language has never descended in chaos because it has native speakers the planet over fastidiously following the natural rules of language.

Quote:

The Decline of Grammar

Geoffrey Nunberg

IS the English language -- or to put it less apocalyptically, English prose writing -- really in a bad way? How would one tell? The standard jeremiads of the Sunday supplements give only anecdotal evidence, and that of a curious sort; the examples of degradation that they present are drawn not from current plays or novels, which are grammatically and syntactically extra judicium, but from advertisements, scholarly papers, and -- most popular of all -- memos from college deans. It is hard to believe that any of these texts will survive even until the next century, much less that late-twentieth-century English will be judged by their example. Our picture of the English of previous centuries, after all, has been formed on the basis of a careful selection of the best that was said and thought back then; their hacks and bureaucrats are mercifully silent now.

But while it is understandable that speakers of a language with a literary tradition would tend to be pessimistic about its course, there is no more hard evidence for a general linguistic degeneration than there is reason to believe that Aaron and Rose are inferior to Ruth and Gehrig.

Most of my fellow linguists, in fact, would say that it is absurd even to talk about a language changing for the better or the worse. When you have the historical picture before you, and can see how Indo-European gradually slipped into Germanic, Germanic into Anglo-Saxon, and Anglo-Saxon into the English of Chaucer, then Shakespeare, and then Henry James, the process of linguistic change seems as ineluctable and impersonal as continental drift. From this Olympian point of view, not even the Norman invasion had much of an effect on the structure of the language, and all the tirades of all the grammarians since the Renaissance sound like the prattlings of landscape gardeners who hope by frantic efforts to keep Alaska from bumping into Asia.

The long run will surely prove the linguists right: English will survive whatever "abuses" its current critics complain of. And by that I mean not just that people will go on using English and its descendants in their daily commerce but that they will continue to make art with it as well.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/correct/decline/

Frank, language is so much more complicated and beautiful than the simplistic rules and guidelines of those manuals you possess. Those people debase language. They have almost a zero idea of the rules of language.

I don't expect nor hope for concession from you. You asked and I'm giving you the facts. You must take note that you've provided no reasons for the grammatical assumptions you made.

The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language spends an entire chapter, one of 18 or so, [it's not at hand right now], in a book that contains some 2000 pages, dealing with how, and when, we actually use relative pronouns.

Surely, these manuals, these handbooks of English can provide something, anything that tells us more than "it's wrong/it's bad/poor English". Those are mere opinions, Frank, and opinions don't, can't possibly drive something as complicated as language.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 01:58 pm
@Francis,
By the way...he is the father of Howard Lederer and Annie Duke--two of the best Hold 'em players in the world!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 02:24 pm
@JTT,
JTT…you wrote:

Quote:
There are no language scholars at all who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion, Frank. Why? Because it is simply unsupportable.

Well…I submit that you are wrong…and I will say that the authors of just the books I mentioned earlier are all “language scholars” and all subscribe to the notion that there exists both good grammar and bad grammar. In fact, they've written books about it. And I have read other books (not going to look for them now) that have “language scholars” as authors…who see that distinction.

Now you might say, as I am beginning to suspect you may, that any anyone subscribing to the notion cannot be considered a “language scholar.”

Do it if you want.

There are a couple of million hits on the Internet for good grammar…and for bad grammar…and I chose to suspect that there are “language scholars” as contributors.

Under any circumstances, I submit Kingsley Amis, Edward D. Johnson, and Richard Lederer…along with William Safire…as “language scholars”"and all of them suggest there is such a thing as good grammar and bad grammar.

JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, repectfully, you're doing the same thing these language mavens do, talk around the issues.

With these founts of knowledge at your disposal, why haven't you been able to provide one reason in defence of the positions you raised.

All these guys do is stamp their feet and opine that such and such must/should /not be done. That isn't science, Frank. That you're having so much trouble sourcing a plausible reply to this from these "language authorities" should give you pause.

Safire is able to use his language well, but as an authority on language he is an absolute joke. You couldn't have read Professor Pinker's article. He completely dismantled Bill Safire's arguments.

Years ago, Safire wrote an article in his 'On Language', wherein Jacques Barzun wrote to correct something that Safire himself had earlier written. It seems that Safire, the brilliant writer, had made a grammar mistake that both he and his editors missed.

Well, instead of thinking it through, you know, analyzing it grammatically the way you'd expect a language authority to do, Safire completely caved, made a few mea culpas, and tried to explain away his "mistake", explaining how he should have done it.

Safire had made no mistake at all. He was using language in a completely natural, grammatical fashion. Barzun described a prescription that has no validity. These guys never think things through. They just repeat the old nonsense, again and again.

I wrote to Safire, explaining to him how he had done nothing wrong, grammatically but that he had abdicated his responsibilities to his audience. He promised that he would review the material and post it in a later column. He had no intention of doing that because he didn't and doesn't have the knowledge of how language works to do that.

None of these prescriptivists have a knowledge of language sufficient to debate and defend their ideas.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@JTT,
JTT...

...my last post dealt with one specific item you had offered, namely:

Quote:

I am saying there are. In fact, I gave the names of language scholars who have written books about good and bad English grammar.

Are you saying they are not language scholars?

Are you saying they were kidding when they wrote the books?

Where are we on this one subset of our discussion here?

Because if we cannot even agree that people who hold themselves out as language scholars...and who have academic credentials that pretty much confirm that they are...and if they have written books dealing with good and bad grammar...

...calls into question the single assertion with which I was dealing...

...where are we, JTT?

I understand you position regarding language and grammar...and I quite agree with lots of what you are saying...

...but when you take it to the extreme that there is no such thing as good or bad grammar...

...or even further, that there are NO language scholars AT ALL who subscribe to that errant, outdated notion...

...then I gotta respectfully disagree.
JTT

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Okay, Frank, I'll start, but it really should be your carry, should it not?

William L. Safire (born December 17, 1929) is an American author, semi-retired columnist, and former journalist and presidential speechwriter.

====================================

Lederer attended Haverford College as a pre-med student. He attended Harvard Law School for one year, then switched to the Master of Arts in Teaching Program at Harvard University. He taught English and media at St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire for 27 years, and earned a Ph.D in Linguistics from the University of New Hampshire.

++++++++++++++++

Richard Lederer is the author of more than 30 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current book, Presidential Trivia. He has been profiled in magazines as diverse as The New Yorker, People, and the National Enquirer and frequently appears on radio as a commentator on language.

Dr. Lederer's syndicated column, "Looking at Language," appears in newspapers and magazines throughout the United States. He has been named International Punster of the Year and Toastmasters International's Golden Gavel winner.
++++++++++++++++++++

I have to ask, why can't someone with a PhD in Linguistics address actual language issues? The second blurb was put together by Lederer himself. In it, he doesn't bother to even mention his education. The sign of a real song and dance man.

Actual Lederer quote:
"Well, it may be that for lo these many years I've been talking and writing through my butt, but that doesn't stop me from being an unrepentant verbivore."

Compare these guys to Steven Pinker, Frank.

+++++++++++++++++

Curriculum Vitae
Steven Pinker

Department of Psychology
Harvard University
William James Hall 970
Cambridge, MA 02l38
33 Kirkland St.
Office: 617-495-0831
Fax: 617-495-3278
Internet address: pinker at wjh period Harvard period edu
Web site: http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu

Biographical Information

Born September 18, 1954, Montreal, Canada
U. S. Citizen

Education

Doctor of Philosophy (Experimental Psychology), Harvard University, 1979.
Bachelor of Arts (First Class Honors in Psychology), McGill University, 1976.
Diploma of College Studies, Dawson College, 1971.

Academic Positions

2008-2013 Harvard College Professor, Harvard University
2003- Johnstone Family Professor of Psychology, Harvard University
2000-2003 Peter de Florez Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1994-99 Director, McDonnell-Pew Center for Cognitive Neuroscience at MIT
1989-2000 Professor, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1985-94 Co-Director, Center for Cognitive Science, Massachusetts Institute of
Technology
1985-89 Associate Professor, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1982-85 Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1981-82 Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Stanford University
1980-81 Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Harvard University
1979-80 Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Cognitive Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Honors and Awards

General:
Honorary President, Canadian Psychological Association, 2008.
Doctor of Philosophy honoris causa, University of Tromsø, Norway, 2008.
Prospect and Foreign Policy, “The World’s Top 100 Public Intellectuals,” 2005, 2008.
Doctor of Humane Letters, Albion College, 2007.
Humanist of the Year, American Humanist Association, 2006.
Communication and Leadership Award, Toastmasters International (District 31), 2006.
02138 Magazine: “The Harvard 100: The Most Influential Alumni,” 2006.
Doctor of Science honoris causa, University of Newcastle, 2005.
Time 100: “The 100 Most Influential People in the World Today,” 2004.
Doctor of the University honoris causa, University of Surrey, 2003.
Doctor Philosophiae honoris causa, Tel Aviv University, 2003
Humanist Laureate, International Academy of Humanism, 2001.
Doctor of Science honoris causa, McGill University, 1999.
Golden Plate Award, American Academy of Achievement, 1999.
Newsweek One Hundred Americans for the Next Century, 1995.
Esquire Register of Outstanding Men and Women Under Forty, 1986.

Research:
Henry Dale Prize, The Royal Institution of Great Britain, 2004.
Troland Research Award, National Academy of Sciences, April 1993.
Boyd R. McCandless Young Scientist Award, Division of Developmental Psychology, American Psychological Association, 1986.
Distinguished Scientific Award for an Early Career Contribution to Psychology, American Psychological Association, 1984.

Books: The Language Instinct
Public Interest Award, Linguistics Society of America, 1997.
William James Book Prize, American Psychological Association, 1995.
New York Times Book Review Editor's Choice: Ten Best Books of 1994.
Finalist, Rhone-Poulenc Science Book Prize, 1994.
One Hundred Best Science Books of the Century, American Scientist.
Honorable Mention, Best Books of the 1990s, Lingua Franca

Books: How the Mind Works
William James Book Prize, American Psychological Association, 1999.
Los Angeles Times Book Prize in Science and Technology, 1998.
Finalist, Pulitzer Prize in Nonfiction, 1998.
Ten Best Books of the Decade / One Hundred Best Books of the Century, Amazon.com, 1999.
Good Book Guide Award: Best Science Book of 1998.
Finalist, Rhone-Poulenc Science Book Prize, 1999.
Finalist, National Book Critics' Circle Award, 1998.
Finalist, Winship Book Prize, PEN New England, 1998.
Literary Lights, Boston Public Library, 1998.
Books to Remember (25 best of 1997), New York Public Library, 1998.
Best Books of 2002, Publishers Weekly
Honored Author, Newton Public Library, 2000.
Great Brain Books, Dana Alliance for Brain Initiatives.

Books: The Blank Slate
50 Psychology Classics, T. Butler-Bowdon, Brealey Publishing, 2007
Kistler Book Award, Foundation for the Future, 2005
William James Book Prize, American Psychological Association, 2003
Eleanor Maccoby Book Award, American Psychological Association, 2003
Literary Lights, Boston Public Library, 2005.
Finalist, Pulitzer Prize in Nonfiction, 2003.
Finalist, Aventis Science Book Prize, 2003.
Book of the Year 2003, Yorkshire Post
Best Books of 2002: amazon.com, Borders Bookstores, The Evening Standard, The Globe and Mail, The Independent, The Los Angeles Times, New Statesman, New York Times (“Notable Books”), Publishers Weekly, The Spectator, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, The Telegraph, Times Literary Supplement

Books: The Stuff of Thought
Editors’ Picks: Ten Best Science Books of 2007, amazon.com

Teaching:
Harvard College Professorship, 2008-2013.
School of Science Teaching Prize for Excellence in Undergraduate Education, MIT, 2001
Margaret MacVicar Faculty Fellow, MIT, 2000-2003.
Graduate Student Council Teaching Award, MIT, 1986.

Essays:
Sidney Hook Award, best essays of 2005 (from David Brook’s New York Times column), “The Science of Gender and Science” with Elizabeth Spelke.

Elected Fellowships in Scholarly Societies:
Fellow, Linguistics Society of America, 2007- .
Herbert Simon Fellow, The American Academy of Political and Social Science, 2006- .
Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1998-.
Fellow, Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal, 2000-.
Fellow, Neurosciences Research Program, 1995-2002.
Fellow, American Psychological Association, 1992- .
Fellow, Division of Experimental Psychology, American Psychological Association

[truncated, a great deal truncated]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can continue with the others, Frank. But shouldn't you address the more important part of the issue. Why can't you find something from these language authorities that even addresses these issues?

Quote:

...but when you take it to the extreme that there is no such thing as good or bad grammar...

I should have made it clearer. Sorry, Frank. I think that you are operating under the notion that we somehow learn the grammar of our language in school. Nothing is further from the truth.

'good' and 'bad' , correct/incorrect are words poorly suited to described grammar. What is used and it's not even that great, is Standard versus Non-standard.

But Standard does not mean good, correct, best or any other of the words grammar marms/prescriptivists have been using for, well, forever.

Read this, if you would.

Quote:

Levels of Usage
In this book we use a number of terms to indicate different levels of usage to give you an idea under what circumstances a given usage will be appropriate. 9

Standard English Standard English is the language we use for public discourse. It is the working language of our social institutions. The news media, the government, the legal profession, and the teachers in our schools and universities all aim at Standard English as a norm of communication, primarily in expository and argumentative writing, but also in public speaking. Standard English is thus different from what we normally think of as speech in that Standard English must be taught, whereas children learn to speak naturally without being taught. Of course, Standard English shares with spoken English certain features common to all forms of language. It has rules for making grammatical sentences, and it changes over time. The issues of pronunciation discussed in this book mainly involve how to pronounce specific written words or written letters, such as ch or g, in different words. The guidance to pronunciation is not meant to standardize or correct anyone’s naturally acquired form of spoken English. 10

The name Standard English is perhaps not the best, since it implies a standard against which various kinds of spoken English are to be measured, and this is hardly a fair comparison. A better name might be Institutional English, Conventional English, Commercial English, or Standardized English for Writing and Public Speaking, but these names all have their own negative connotations and shortcomings. So, since Standard is what this brand of English has been called for generations, we use the name here. 11

Nonstandard English There are many expressions and grammatical constructions that are not normally used in Standard English. These include regional expressions, such as might could, and other usages, such as ain’t and it don’t, that are typically associated with dialects used by people belonging to less prestigious social groups. These nonstandard varieties of English are no less logical or systematic than Standard English. In this book an expression labeled nonstandard is not wrong; it is merely inappropriate for ordinary usage in Standard English. 12

Formal English On some occasions it is important to adhere to the conventions that characterize serious public discourse and to avoid expressions that we might use in more casual situations. Formal writing and speaking are characterized by the tendency to give full treatment to all the elements that are required for grammatical sentences. Thus in formal English you might hear May I suggest that we reexamine the problem? where both clauses have a subject and verb and the subordinate clause is introduced by the conjunction that. Of course, formal English has many other features. Among these are the careful explanation of background information, complexity in sentence structure, explicit transitions between thoughts, and the use of certain words such as may that are reserved chiefly for creating a formal tone. Situations that normally require formal usage would include an article discussing a serious matter submitted to a respected journal, an official report by a group of researchers to a government body, a talk presented to a professional organization, and a letter of job application. 13

Informal English This is a broad category applied to situations in which it is not necessary, and in many cases not even desirable, to use the conventions of formal discourse. Informal language incorporates many of the familiar features of spoken English, especially the tendency to use contractions and to abbreviate sentences by omitting certain elements. Where formal English has May I suggest that we reexamine the manuscript? in informal English you might get Want to look this over again? Informal English tends to assume that the audience shares basic assumptions and background knowledge with the writer or speaker, who therefore alludes to or even omits reference to this information, rather than carefully explaining it as formal discourse requires. Typical informal situations would include a casual conversation with classmates, a letter to a close friend, or an article on a light topic written for a newspaper or magazine whose readership shares certain interests of the writer. 14

Of course, these functional categories are not hard and fast divisions of language; rather they are general tendencies of usage. People use language over a spectrum that shifts from intimate situations to public discourse, and a given piece of writing may have a mixture of formal and informal elements. We use the labels formal and informal in this book as guideposts to give you a clearer notion about when it is appropriate to use a particular usage. 15
It is important to remember that formal and informal refer to styles of expression, not standards of correctness. Informal English has its own rules of grammar and is just as logical as formal English. You can be serious using informal English, just as you can be comical using formal English. The two styles are simply used for different occasions.

http://www.bartleby.com/64/13.html

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:56 pm
@JTT,
JTT…you wrote:

Quote:
I should have made it clearer. Sorry, Frank. I think that you are operating under the notion that we somehow learn the grammar of our language in school. Nothing is further from the truth.

There is absolutely nothing I have written here that comes anywhere near close to what you are asserting here. Nothing.

Where does this come from?

Quote:
'good' and 'bad' , correct/incorrect are words poorly suited to described grammar. What is used and it's not even that great, is Standard versus Non-standard.

Well, that may be your opinion…and I truly do respect that, JTT…but it is not the opinion of many, many people. I’ve seen several books by qualified authors (people I still claim can be considered “language scholars”…who use those terms.) You could probably get a couple of million hits in Google using that. And just because you don't want their opinions to count really is not the operative factor here.

Let’s not get too exclusionary or elitist here!

Decent, well-educated, reasonable, well-intentioned people use the terms good grammar and bad grammar…and accept the notion of there being such a thing.

C’mon! For all I know, Pinker has a bug up his ass about something…and has gone off on a tangent on the issue. Academics do that sort of thing, you know! For all I know, you are Pinker...or his son or a friend...or for whatever reason, his word is gospel to you.

I understand all that other stuff, but you are trying to make it seem simple minded to refer to what almost any user of the language would call “bad grammar.” What say we get a bit of perspective here.

H2O has the brains of a celery stalk…and he was calling me a moron and calling my posts stupid…in posts containing what goddam near any user of the language would call “questionable” if not “poor” or “bad” grammar. And I called it to his attention.

It was obvious what was happening.

Why you got involved on this esoteric a level is beyond me…but now that you have, I am not going to concede your point…BECAUSE I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT.

I had an op ed piece published once where I took on Ms. Manners on an issue similar to this but in eating etiquette. My arguments were almost identical to yours here. Who the hell is the "they" that tells us we have to eat chicken wings with a fork???

But that does not mean that you can be as dismissive as you are being about this issue.

MY GUESS: There are more people in this country that would agree that good grammar and bad grammar exist…and I think the percentage would favor my side by a huge factor. We may not all agree on what is good and what is bad in all instances (the Internet, for instance allows lots of leeway)…but if the issue is; Can grammar properly be considered good grammar and bad grammar…I think I know how this goes.