Gender Challenge: Am I a woman or a man?

Intrepid

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:49 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Of course pointing this out could be considered ironically pedantic and sophomoric.

....and you accuse others of being unkind. Then again, you don't indicate what you are replying to which certainly clouds the subject.
Foxfyre

@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

<Sglass....... start a thread gal .... will MsrF reveal all about his lingerie! Razz >

I can quite truthfully and honestly say that up to this point, I have not had ANY curiosity about Francis's lingerie. Or anybody else's for that matter. Hmmm....

Shocked
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre…you are absolutely correct in much of your consternation with what has happened here…but there is the expression, “She asked for it!” to consider. Some of her castigation of America and Americans rises to the level of theater of the absurd.

Be that as it may, the fact that the exercise was set up the way it was…almost insured the problem would occur.

There is no way this should have been an open-ended exercise…and someone as intelligent as Fount should have known that.

If you were setting up something like this…with the aims Fount has suggested she had in mind when setting it up…wouldn’t you have stipulated that the questions had to be in a form requiring a “YES” or “NO” response…rather than saying that she would “sidestep or evade answers?”

This was a thread begging for the treatment it got.

Once again, the “piling on” and many of the comments (granted, some from me) were intentionally hurtful…but Fount herself is guilty of many of those kinds of statement.

Return fire in kind, as you mentioned, is off-base, but sometimes, it just happens.
Francis

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:50 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Unfair question?

That's certainly a weird concept!!

Dirty?

Sorry, I don't live in that world...
Montana

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Probably an astute observation, Montana, though I can't remember a time that YOU have been intentionally unkind to anybody here. Smile

Honestly, I must have missed any anti-American comments from FOW, though I certainly don't read every post on A2K or even on most threads. I don't read any post in some threads. I didn't see anti-Americanism implied in any of the negative comments that I posted however, but who knows what anybody's true motives are about anything?

Thank you Fox. I try to be kind to everyone and look at us all as equal, but when someone is unkind to me, the claws tend to come out a bit Wink

I am involved in some threads that Fount is also involved in, but I missed it as well, just stumbling on it when I went back to read some of his/her post in an attempt to guess his/her sex.
I won't say what thread it was because I don't want to make matters worse for him/her, but it's obvious that many here have already seen it.

0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:57 pm
@Montana,
Partly fair. I accept I have made some provocative comments about America, mostly about the government, but also observations about the people I was talking to, which were generalised, probably unfairly.
I was also chided a lot, I noticed some went straight to abuse. I think that I have been accused of having no sense of humour and being over sensitive. If you are suggesting to me that people are still upset over stuff that happened days ago, and in different debates then I suggest respectably they grow up.
I believe there is a pack mentality. People just go straight to abuse and then there is a free for all. People feel they have to join in.
I personally hold no malice to anyone from the past except Stunta who I believe was rude beyond any need for a long time.
I appreciate the sincerity and candour of your comments.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I know Frank, and I have accepted that as the way of life on A2K. I just took the time to go back through the thread to really note the dynamics as they unfolded this time, and it was an interesting exercise. Yes, FOW could have thought out the 'rules' more clearly at the get go, but sometimes you do stuff off the top of your head and adapt when the stuff you didn't initially think of comes up. Of course in a 'guess my gender' game, there are some questions that one would have to disallow or answer in a vague way because a direct answer would remove all the guesswork.

The rest of us have a choice. 1) Understand the vagueness or 2) be offended that it exists.

I'm going out on a limb here to guess that FOW is not only a male, but an extraverted male which would explain one reason that the game was developed in motion rather than carefully designed before it was posted. I don't have a clear idea whether heterosexual or gay though I am leaning a bit toward the gay only because of some empathy I've detected that is not absent from but is relatively uncommon in heterosexual males.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
I appreciate your comments. Mostly because I think it takes a certain type of courage to go against the prevailing mood. Its like the sheriff calming down a lynch mob. Personally I think that once one person starts. Others feel they have to join in. I know you felt that I was angry, indeed I was, however part of this was to show people had overstepped the mark.
Part of it was also negative anger too. I can't claim perfection,yet.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:07 pm
@Intrepid,
i was replying to post 3535172. With an ironic mention of earlier criticisms. I thought it was clever, barbed but not offensive. Apologies if you didn't think so.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:08 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Quote:
You are 100% right. I spent years hiding my intelligence.
I point out I didn't once bring it up.
People act as though I SHOULD BE ASHAMED of my IQ.

The preponderance of the evidence suggests that u r a male
with emotional concerns of femininity, as I posted before,
but this appears to be a female experience.
It stands starkly in contrast with my own life 's experience.

When I began correcting the teachers' errors at age 12,
the other students admired it and encouraged it.
Thay applied nicknames of approval to me.
Thay asked me to lead their groups or projects.
Their parents asked me to babysit their children
who were my own age and sometimes my classmates.
My I.Q. enabled me to control situations that were good to control.

I thought it very odd (and will certainly understand if anyone
rejects this as unbelievable) when I used to be approached
by kids my own age who asked me to babysit them.
( I did not accept the job. )
I never encountered anything negative about high I.Q.

In other words, Fount, thay kept dumping honors,
praise, admiration and friendship all over me because of
what thay considered demonstrated intellectual power, yet YOU
tell us that for years u found a need to conceal this.
Something resonates as being somehow not quite right about that.

The only reason of which I can conceive to hide one 's intelligence
is if it is low intelligence.
By what reasoning did u choose to perpetrate that deception ?
Your experience and mine were inconsistent with one another.
I felt no need hide my intelligence and no one ever acted
as tho I shoud be "ASHAMED of my IQ" as u put it.

To WHAT shoud these divergences of experience be attributed ?

Distinctions of gender ?

David
Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So I was begging for it. Like women who get raped. I think you are trying to defend the indefensible here.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:10 pm
@Francis,
Shame: we might have had fun.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:13 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Quote:
Partly fair. I accept I have made some provocative comments about America, mostly about the government, but also observations about the people I was talking to, which were generalised, probably unfairly.
I was also chided a lot, I noticed some went straight to abuse. I think that I have been accused of having no sense of humour and being over sensitive. If you are suggesting to me that people are still upset over stuff that happened days ago, and in different debates then I suggest respectably they grow up.
I believe there is a pack mentality. People just go straight to abuse and then there is a free for all. People feel they have to join in.

Who on Earth are you kidding, Fount?

I cannot imagine anyone who has seen your posts in other threads thinks this is an accurate depiction of your dealings with your feelings for America and Americans.

I am no flag waving super patriot…and I can fault America plenty when I think it is going off course, but you are a sniper…constantly taking pot shots.

You agitate and agitate…and then when the shots start coming, immediately you go to…”Americans have no culture…and no intelligence. That is why they immediately go to abuse.”

Wake the hell up.

Whatever crap is coming your way…you have invited in spades.

And your whining about it is pathetic.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:15 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
No Fount...not like women who get raped!

And that kind of bullshit is why you are getting all you deserve.

You taunt...and then when someone reacts, you whine!
Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:16 pm
someone...quick lock the thread. Frank summed it up.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:21 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

someone...quick lock the thread. Frank summed it up.

He did indeed !
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
I thought it would be fun to try. I think whatever the rules devised, there would have been some thinking on my feet. I can't see why anyone should get upset by vagueness. In my defence, a lot of people ignored the rules and just made cruel statements.I think some of the posters were more interested in abuse.I don't think they have any defence. Certainly I have nothing but contempt at for the parody thread.
I have tried to answer the questions truthfully but in an interesting way. One of the things that may cloud the issue is I have a different cultural background, being a second generation immigrant. This skews the "normality" of some of my answers, I believe.
I certainly can plead guilty to extraversion. A thoughtful contribution Foxfire. Thanks.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Get a life; that was days,maybe even weeks ago.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I am sorry you feel that way. perhaps you need a sense of perspective.And a sense of humour. I am intelligent enough to express myself without profanity.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 03:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think you might be the fortunate exception rather than the rule though David, unless you are an incredibly sexy great looking jock who would be adored if he was dumb as dirt. You may be drawing an incorrect assumption based on your own experience here.

I certainly am not Mensa material, but I have a few friends who are. Each has admitted they were sometimes teased about being 'egg heads' or some such and each deliberately provided wrong information or missed a question on a test to avoid the snotty remarks that would result from being 'perfect'. Most kids don't want to be different and are sometimes treated unkindly by at least some when they are.

Each did mature sufficiently to make peace with their intellect, however, and graduated from highschool and college early with honors and have gone on to make successes of their lives though none of them 'flaunt' their impressive intellects even to this day. I am speaking of two guys and one gal.