Hi-Yo Silver -- Away!: The Western Film

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 08:54 am
I would say DWW is a Western -- how else would one classify it? IMDb classifies it as an adventure/drama/western:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0146379/combined
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:33 pm
One of my favorites that I don't think I saw listed here was The Sheepherder with Glen Ford. Of course, he was up against the cattlemen, but he was up to the task.

Reading all these titles certainly brings back the memories.

Another good one was Usama's Raid with Burt Lancaster.

Also, Man from Laramie with Jimmy Stewart. This is the one wherein the bad guys roped him and pulled him behind a horse through a campfire, which proved to be a bad mistake. I have tried several times lately to rent this movie but with no luck.

Did Gregory Peck make a revenge film Rio Bravo. It was worth watching.

How about Nevada Smith with Steve McQueen.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:44 pm
I'd like to second farmer's choice of Going South. This was a funny movie with Jack Nicholson.

Dis, I think it was Tom Horn. In my opinion any western or any other movie with Steve McQueen is worth watching.

If we were to get into funny westerns, who could forget Bob Hope and Jane Russell in Son of Paleface? For that matter, there is the Road to the Yukon.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:40 pm
I would call DWW 'historical fiction'. . . But it's easy to clump any movie that takes place in the latter part of the 19th century and west of the Mississippi a western.

I didn't like Unforgiven. It was good up to the ending for me. I do recall liking Pale Rider, but I saw it on cable when it first came out and don't remember seeing it again.

Does anyone remember The Great Brain? More a kids movie, I think (the books were) but I remember seeing it as a movie, maybe late 70's? I could look it up on IMDB, I suppose. . .

Isn't The Frisco Kid another comedic western? That was funny. . . love Gene Wilder.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:09 am
Turner 727, thanks for the Frisco Kid tip. I like Gene Wilder too and will try to rent the video. Do you remember The Woman in the Red Dress? Pretty funny, although not a western (Unless we consider the scene where he finally makes it to bed with the high powered beauty he'd been chasing all through the movie. He's timid and fumbling when she exhorts him with, "Okay, Ride 'em cowboy." Perhaps that line would slip this one under the wire as a western??).
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:17 am
Turner 727, thanks for the Frisco Kid tip. I like Gene Wilder too and will try to rent the video. Do you remember The Woman in Red? Pretty funny, although not a western (Unless we consider the scene where he finally makes it to bed with the high powered beauty he'd been chasing all through the movie. He's timid and fumbling when she exhorts him with, "Okay, Ride 'em cowboy." Perhaps that line would slip this one under the wire as a western??).
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:18 am
Turner 727, thanks for the Frisco Kid tip. I like Gene Wilder too and will try to rent the video. Do you remember The Woman in Red? Pretty funny, although not a western (Unless we consider the scene where he finally makes it to bed with the high powered beauty he'd been chasing all through the movie. He's timid and fumbling when she exhorts him with, "Okay, Ride 'em cowboy." Perhaps that line would slip this one under the wire as a western??).
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:30 am
Hazlett said: Did Gregory Peck make a revenge film Rio Bravo. It was worth watching.

Hazlett, you may be thinking of The Bravados where Peck chases the four outlaws who were responsible for his wife's death. It was a good one.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:46 am
Raggedy, you are right. It was The Bravados. But didn't it end up that after killing the 4 "bad" guys, he discovered that it had been his neighbor who had killed his wife? Or am I thinking of yet another western?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:17 pm
Hazlett. You are right. I had forgotten that his neighbor was the guilty guy. The men Peck kills are 4 escaped killers, but that doesn't help ease Peck's guilt-ridden conscience and he returns home to his little girl and visits a church where a priest offers him hope of absolution and that's how the movie ends. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 02:41 pm
Of course, the pinacle of the Western comedy was "Blazing Saddles."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:18 pm
The Frisco Kid had the first performance I ever noticed by the guy from Star Wars - The guy that had Chewbacca for a pal. Can't recall his name just now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:30 pm
Harrison Ford, it was.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:10 pm
"'Scuse me while I whip this out!" - Classic! I love it.

Trying to get into the western genre again. My dad is a big Louis L'amour fan, and I've read several of his books in high school. Don't remember them much, but I seem to remember enjoying them. Almost rented The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance today. Will probably go back and rent it again this weekend.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:12 pm
I love Louis L'amour books :-) Got a few here myself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:06 am
Has anyone mentioned the tv movie "Lonesome Dove"? It was great. My father was so into it. He hadn't been that enthusiastic about a tv program since they'd taken Gunsmoke off the air.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:24 pm
eoe, Lonesome Dove is one of my favorites.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 05:33 pm
I heard on the radio this morning that Jack Elam has died. I'm going to miss that guy. Another guy I miss is Slim Pickens.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 05:48 pm
Two icons in the Western annals.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:09 pm
I remember Jack Elam played alot of gangsters as well. He just had that kind of mug. He worked alot.
0 Replies