Hi-Yo Silver -- Away!: The Western Film

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 07:48 pm
Here's a link with a whole raft of cowboys' horses names. I am sure there was one named Sugarfoot, but it isn't listed here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:39 pm
Cowboy bad guys:
Bruce Dern
Jack Elam
L Q Jones
Robert Wilke
Lee Van Cleef

Guys that went either way:
Richard Boone
Lee Marvin
James Coburn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:20 pm
Jack Palance
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:47 pm
Specially in Shane.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:04 pm
The most memorable Western villian in "Shane" IMHO.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:09 pm
May other favorite villian was Chuck Conners in "The Big Country," devilishly evil with no redeeming features and Burl Ives trying to rationalize away his son's boorish stupidity was brilliant dramatic tension.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:11 pm
I forgot about that. Chuck Conners played a good part in that one. So did Burl Ives.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:21 pm
Burl Ives was kind of an anti-hero -- he was the most conflicted character and rightly walked home with the Oscar for that performance. If one has never seen "The Big Country" on the big screen, they've missed an experience. Those final shots in the canyon were awesome.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:24 pm
I saw it at a drive in when it was new. Then on tv in later years.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:39 pm
Drive-ins had some pretty enormous screens -- if one got too close, they sometimes were cut off from the back seat. Of course, in the back seat in a drive-in...well, you know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 05:32 pm
I thought of some more westerns I enjoyed:
The White Buffalo
Tall Man
The Tin Star
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:56 am
I thought Tension at Table Rock with Richard Egan, Dorothy Malone and Angie Dickinson was pretty good. (Retired gunslinger trying to avoid conflict.)

And:

Yellow Sky, with Gregory Peck, Anne Baxter and Richard Widmark. (supposedly adapted from a novel and Shakespeare's The Tempest). You know, trying to find gold in ghost town with bad guy Peck falling for miner's daughter and reforming and bad guy Richard Widmark, not reforming.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:59 am
I have always wondered why we never see Roy Rogers films on TV. Anybody know?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 11:08 am
Then there is Gene Autrey in the sci/fi serial: The Phantom Empire!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 11:45 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have always wondered why we never see Roy Rogers films on TV. Anybody know?

Phoenix: AMC (American Movie Classics) channel quite frequently aired old westerns in the A.M. and Roy was among them. Since I kept my TV on all night, I often woke up to the warbling of Roy and The Sons of the Pioneers which lullabied me back to sleep. Very Happy AMC has changed their format and I now waken to mostly horror, war, or blood and guts and don't go back to sleep.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:02 pm
Cable has the Encore Western Channel which broadcasts some of the more obscure oldies but goodies. One of the first films I plan to buy on Hi Def DVD would be "The Big Country." What other Westerns are everyone's favorite because of the scenery and cinematography?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:35 pm
I would buy
River of No Return
The Big Country
Jeremiah Johnson
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:37 pm
"Jeremiah Johnson" -- the Winter scenes, yes!

The recent "The Claim," ditto.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 12:44 pm
It has been so long since I've seen many favorites that I can't recall how photogenic they were.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:58 pm
I know I'm going to cease buying DVD's until the HD DVD players come out. They've got the blue laser triple layer disc systems in Japan now but we might not see them for another year.
0 Replies