Hi-Yo Silver -- Away!: The Western Film

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 05:58 am
Hondo, which is Shane with another cast - John Wayne and Lassie.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:03 am
Tim Horn
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:00 am
Unforgiven
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Great, Northfield, Minnesota Raid
Little Big Man
The Last of the Mohicans (newer version)
My Darling Clementine
Duel in the Sun
Dead Man

I have never understood the lasting fame of Leone's spaghetti westerns. They go from the pretentious to the comic. Some great scenes in terribly tangled opus.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Once Upon a Time in the West
Broken Arrow
Duel in the Sun

I liked "Once Upon a time in the West" because of the musical themes associated with each character and because Henry Fonda played a villain.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:15 am
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 05:03 am
I saw a western once with Glen Ford playing a retired gunfighter. He was supposedly the "fastest man alive", but kept it a secret and planned on living out his days as a humble clerk or some such thing. The plot thickens when the current reigning "fastest man alive" finds out about the Glen Ford character and comes looking for him. I saw it when I was a Ratzenhofer knee-high to a grasshopper so I don't remember much else about the movie except for the ending. What was the name of that one? Or has it been mentioned already?

I'll leave you guys alone now. I have things to do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:31 am
Gust
It may have been "The Fastest Gun Alive." I recall Ford was in a film with that title.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:20 am
Yes, in The Fastest Gun Alive, Ford was a retired gunfighter working as a storekeeper. I couldn't think of the name of that one before when I listed some of my favorites. That was a good one as was Jubal with Ford.

I'm glad Duel in the Sun was mentioned. That is an all time favorite. I always get my dander up when someone makes fun of the ending. You know, "Lust in the Dust". But that movie had great character roles and I loved the soundtrack.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:37 am
Another movie with Glen Ford that I saw when I was knee high to a goober, was "The Lost Dutchman's Mine". As I recall, I loved it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:40 am
Glen Ford made a number of very good westerns.
Kirk Douglas did also, but the outfits he wore in some are an embarrassment. His "Lonely Are the Brave", while not technically a western, should be included. The use of a chopper shouldn't be a problem. Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey made use of planes and autos.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:00 am
Thinking of the "Lost Dutchman's Mine" (sheeeeze, talk about misplaced modifiers), for anyone who is interested, here is the source:

http://www.ajpl.org/superstition/ldm.htm
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
Letty: Great link, but if you ever want to find more info about Ford's movie about Jacob Walz, you'll have to look it up under Lust for Gold, aka For Those Who Dare, costarring Ida Lupino. I'm wondering if my comment about Lust in the Dust, brought Ford's movie to your mind. (lol)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:19 am
Duh, Raggedy, was that the title of the movie that I posted? Embarrassed Told ya that I was knee high to a turnip when I saw it. Laughing

and to keep on thread;

Pale Rider
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:27 am
Until recently I had a vhs of Lust For Gold. My kids, who generally do not watch old movies liked that one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:30 am
I just thought of Mackenna's Gold. Greg Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savallas, a bunch of well know cast players. Mountain walls of gold caving in as they ride madly for the exit.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:50 am
I was just thinking about MacKenna's Gold, too, EB, and that reminded me of a real oldie, Yellow Sky with Gregory Peck.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:35 pm
Yeah. And, was it Seminole, in which the beautiful young Indian girl proved to be hundreds of years old; she aged all those years in seconds and then disentigrated?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:44 pm
Oh, I didn't see Seminole, but I think Rock Hudson was in it and Anthony Quinn, too. Sounds like a good one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:48 pm
"Seminole:"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046294/

I believe edgarblythe is right about the young Seminole girl.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:00 pm
Gary Cooper as Wild Bill Hickock in The Plainsman, I think. Also Vera Cruz, Friendly Persuasion, and one with Walter Brennan, in which Brennan plays Judge Roy Bean. In one scene Coop is telling the judge, with the judge hanging on his every word because he worships the actrees,
"So, Miss Langtree, says to me .... She says .... She says to me ...."
Brennan, beside himself with anticipation, "Yes -?'
"She says to me, She says .... She says ....
"She says- what?"
"She says to me, she says .... Yup."
0 Replies