Out of the Workforce Again

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:51 am
Well, I went to work yesterday morning and tried to log into my computer to start work and was greeted with "your account has been disabled see administrator." So, I went looking for my boss to see what the problem was. Then I was met with "Brenda doesn't work here anymore." I was off on Friday so I missed the fireworks. Brenda had been with the company since the beginning. She was the Office Manager and the only one that knew all the operations. She was laid off permanently that Friday right before the end of the day. She had no inkling, as neither did any of us.

I loved my job and the people I worked with. They let eighteen people go. Laid us all off permanently. We went from receiving quarterly bonuses to being laid off in less than three months. What a shock.

So, I'm at home again. I'll collect unemployment and search for another job, though the pickins are pretty slim right now.

It's cutthroat out there!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,627 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:17 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Well, I went to work yesterday morning and tried to log into my computer to start work and was greeted with "your account has been disabled see administrator." So, I went looking for my boss to see what the problem was. Then I was met with "Brenda doesn't work here anymore." I was off on Friday so I missed the fireworks. Brenda had been with the company since the beginning. She was the Office Manager and the only one that knew all the operations. She was laid off permanently that Friday right before the end of the day. She had no inkling, as neither did any of us.

I loved my job and the people I worked with. They let eighteen people go. Laid us all off permanently. We went from receiving quarterly bonuses to being laid off in less than three months. What a shock.

So, I'm at home again. I'll collect unemployment and search for another job, though the pickins are pretty slim right now.

It's cutthroat out there!

Wow, that sucks. What region are you in? Some are doing much better than others right now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:48 am
Sorry to hear it.

Unfortunately, "the pickin's are slim"...is an optimistic assessment!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 12:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
No one had the decency to call you on Friday? That's just uncalled for. I'm amazed how employees get treated.

Sorry to hear about this. Hang in there.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 12:21 pm
I'm really sorry to read this. Man, they didn't even call you, just waited for you to log on. Oof. Nasty.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 05:09 pm
Yeah it was kind of a bad way to handle it, especially since I have to drive 35 miles to work. I'm more upset about my boss though. I can't believe they'd treat her like that after all she had done for that company. She was an awesome office manager and supervisor.

I live about 80 miles east of Shreveport in a town called Ruston. I commuted to Monroe, which is 35 miles from here.

On my way to the unemployment office to sign up I noticed how many businesses had shut down in Monroe. It is really getting bad. State Farm used to have a major office here. There were, at one time 1200 employees, until they started laying us all off there and then closed the regional office altogether. That really hurt Monroe. The GM Fisher Guide plant also shut down so there are really no big employers here now other than the papermills.

I appreciate everyone's kind comments. I'm pretty okay about it but sure helps me to see the handwriting on the wall for the economy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:11 pm
It is absolutely amazing how many employees still feel loyalty to their jobs, especially after hearing something like this. And employers? Wowser. You are gone at the drop of a hat; they think two weeks is an absolute minimum from an employee who is leaving of their own volition.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:16 pm
@roger,
i went to ym old favorite mall a few weeks ago, half the stores were cl;osed. a ghost town.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
Arella, I'm so sorry to hear this. I need to look for a new job as well while our ecconomy is headed downhill right behind yours.

Good luck to you Arella.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:08 pm
@Arella Mae,
Sorry to hear you're going through this, Arella Mae. I had my surprise last year. Went from a boom year with the company to about 20% of us being laid off in six months. I was lucky in a couple of ways - was able to negotiate my departure $$ in a favourable way - started a new job with slightly better $$ in November.

I'll offer you a thumb for good luck.

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:00 am
@Arella Mae,
Sorry about this turn of events, Arella & good luck in your job search. (But I'm a little confused. I thought you operated a cat shelter.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 05:33 pm
When we moved back to Ruston a couple of years ago we decided to only take in cats on an Emergency basis so I don't run a fullblown shelter anymore. We've taken in only 8 cats in the last couple of years. We took one in a few months back that had to have one eye removed and she is blind in the other one. They had her declawed and were keeping her in the house but she got out and was attacked by something. She is virtually blind but gets around fine. She's a little fatty. I have included her picture. Her name is Patches but sometimes I call her Ms. Buddha Belly. She is such a joy. When I walk down the hallway she will jump out at me from behind something. One time though, she miscalculated and jumped right into the hallway wall. I laughed hysterically and she wasn't too happy about that but she didn't get hurt. If you click on her picture it brings up a larger size and you can see how pretty she is.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7287/indyshomecoming003jg8.th.jpg

Thank you for your kind words msolga.
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 05:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
Ah. I see. Changes ...

Patches is indeed a very pretty cat, Arella!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
What a sweet cat and you are an absolute angel of mercy for taking in these poor homeless cats.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:59 pm
Any chance you could make taking in homeless cats, etc. a vocation or paying avocation until you land the job you want?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:47 am
I probably could foxfyre but honestly I just do not feel right charging anyone for a cat. I took donations, of course, but I never felt right charging a fee for the cats. That might be a bit naive of me but it's how I feel.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
@Arella Mae,
So set a reasonable donation request. The huge percentage of those wanting to adopt a cat will pay it, and you can absorb the very rare person who can afford to properly care for a pet but can't afford the "purchase price".

Look at it this way: many of those who won't or can't buy a pet are those who don't properly take care of them and/or who dump them when they become too much of a hassle or burden.

So you're actually being compassionate by setting a fee or suggested donation.

I bet you could steer your feelings in that direction if you worked at it a bit. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:39 pm
Hmmm, that does sound rather reasonable foxfyre. I will do some thinking on it and discuss it with the hubby. Running a cat shelter is a lot of work and I can't do it alone. He helped before but I'm not sure he'd be willing to go full scale again.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:41 pm
It's all in where one's heart lies, friend. Of course we all do what we have to do to get by and the most lucky of us are able to do what we love. Running a cat shelter may or may not be a labor of love for you, but if it is, it certainly sounds like a viable option.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
There might be money in pet sitting, but all the shelters I know are always begging for money.

You have a good heart for animals AM, what about getting training as vet tech? You would be helping animals and getting a regular paycheck.