I'm v-v-v-v-vibrating

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:39 am
damn.

I had read eating half a grapefruit before every meal will result in weight loss (no not the old grapefruit diet), of a 1/2 pound a week, something to do with insulin. So....that's what I've been doing for a few days.

No one told me you weren't supposed to eat a lot of grapefruit if you're taking Zoloft.

It's finally abating, but I was going through the jitters for the past few hours. Of course I took the Zoloft while eating a grapefruit.

yikes.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 871 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:41 am
you realize you've just turned people on to a new high

grapefruits, just say no
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:52 am
@djjd62,
I don't understand why anyone would want to feel like I was.

pretty soon people will be mainlining the juice and smoking the pulp.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:22 am
I think grapefruit interferes with the absorbtion of medications.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:23 am
Quote:
Grapefruit juice provides many nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium and lycopene. But chemicals in grapefruit juice and grapefruit pulp interfere with the enzymes that break down (metabolize) various drugs in the digestive system " including certain calcium channel blockers and cholesterol-lowering drugs. The result can be excessively high levels of these drugs in the blood and an increased risk of potentially serious side effects. Pomelos and Seville oranges, a type of bitter orange often used to make marmalade and compotes, may have a similar effect.

Here's a sampling of drugs known to have potentially serious interactions with grapefruit products:

Drug name Type of drug
Amiodarone (Cordarone) A drug used to treat and prevent abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
Buspirone (BuSpar), sertraline (Zoloft) Antidepressants
Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol) An anti-seizure medication
Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), tacrolimus (Prograf) Immunosuppressant drugs
Felodipine (Plendil), nifedipine (Procardia), nimodipine (Nimotop), nisoldipine (Sular) Calcium channel blockers used to treat high blood pressure
Saquinavir An HIV medication
Simvastatin (Zocor), lovastatin (Mevacor), atorvastatin (Lipitor) Statins used to treat high cholesterol

If you're concerned about the effect grapefruit juice may have on your medications, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. In some cases, it may be important to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit products, as well as pomelos, Seville oranges and products made with these fruits. Waiting to take these medications " even up to 24 hours " after you drink grapefruit juice won't prevent an interaction. In other cases, it may be possible to switch to an alternative medication that won't interact with these fruits.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:27 am
Ooooh, that's not the good kind of vibrating. Please don't do that again and be sure to let your doctor know it happened.
djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
interesting about the marmalade, my mother takes cholesterol medication and has been warned about grapefruit, but had not seen the extra bit about marmalade type oranges
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:51 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Please don't do that again

Laughing that just sounded funny. Like "please don't stand in a puddle of water and put your finger in a socket again." Don't worry, I won't.

Yeah, I had called my doctors office after realizing it was the grapefruit (good old google). Her nurse, who's really great, said that grapefruit travels the same channel and the seritonin reupdate inhibitor in Zoloft, so it block it, getting it more backed up in your system. Thus the anxiety attack-ish systems. I guess if I took Zoloft for depression, it would have had a different effect. In fact I felt just like I did when I first started Zoloft, and they were increasing the dosage little by slowly to get to the correct level. Each time for like the entire morning I'd be afraid I was going to swallow my tongue (nice thought). I remember thinking you have to go through the very thing you're trying to avoid, to get where you want to be.

Now I feel drained, but not like from the good kind of vibrating.
0 Replies