dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 07:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
So...that's a 'no' then?
blatham

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
"I do expect history to be more kind to him than his more virulent critics are or have been."

Of course you do.

As the Weekly Standard's Stephen Hayes revealed on CNN about a month ago...
Quote:
We're going to be seeing a lot more of this and there's an ongoing Bush legacy project that's been meeting in the White House, really, with senior advisers, Karl Rove, Karen Hughes has been involved, current senior Bush administration advisers and they are looking at how to sort of roll out the President's legacy.

And one of the fundamental talking points in this propaganda campaign is that "history will look kindly on the Bush administration". That precise phrase, or nearly identical variants of it, have been voiced (repeatedly) by the many people who serve as propaganda helpers for the movement/party. Merely type "history will look kindly on Bush" or "history will look kindly on the Bush administration" or some such into google and watch the flood.

You really ought to reclaim your brain and individuality, foxfyre.
Montana

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:44 pm
@blatham,
<Waving to Blatham> Great to see ya and please say hello to Lola for me Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:50 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
You really ought to reclaim your brain and individuality, foxfyre.

That ain't never gonna happen, but it is really puzzling how a group of people can so lack the ability for any sort of critical thinking.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:57 am
@Montana,
Montana wrote:
I'm just curious to know how many Bush supporters there still are out there. Feel free to stop in and let us know who you are.

<I do mean President Bush>

Not sure if I would count as an ardent supporter -- I agreed with him on some issues, and disagreed on others.

I am generally satisfied with him however, so I guess I'm a supporter.
Montana

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 02:11 am
@oralloy,
Thank you for your kind response Oralloy Very Happy
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 02:14 am
@Montana,
im curious as to what bushes newman dinner speech was. any links?
blatham

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:53 am
Hello montana.

JTT...at the very least, they might cease with the mental cut and paste substitute for actual thinking. From today's Weekly Standard, commentary headline and subhead...
Quote:
Bush Got the Big Things Right
History will be kind to the forty-third president.

I mean, for **** sakes.

Oralloy
I note that Iran has been bombed into the stone age. So you got another one right. That's got to be encouraging, as regards validation of your perceptions of the world.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
Here's some more cut-and-paste ... mainly to irk Bernie:

Quote:
Commentary: Bush saved 10 million lives

By Bill Frist
Special to CNN

Editor's note: Bill Frist, a physician, is former Republican majority leader of the U.S. Senate and a professor of medicine and business at Vanderbilt University.

(CNN) -- A legacy of President George W. Bush will be that he saved 10 million lives around the world.

His critics ignore it, but name another president about whom one can say that with such certainty. It is what historians will say a decade from now looking back. Not bad for a president who leaves office with the lowest approval rating in recent memory.

The bottom line is: George Bush is a healer.

First, a surprise proclamation came on January 29, 2003.

I was in the first row in the House chamber when three quarters through his State of the Union address, the president boldly said: "I ask the Congress to commit $15 billion over the next five years ... to turn the tide against AIDS in the most afflicted nations of Africa and the Caribbean" and "lead the world in sparing innocent people from a plague of nature."

And lead the world we did. No president in history had made such a commitment against a single disease. Those words and the action that followed meant that instead of another 30 million people dying from HIV infections, maybe just another 20 million will.

Later that night in an interview for CNN in my Capitol office, I predicted that five years later, this commitment to fight HIV would be the single most significant thing the president said that night. It was.

But even I -- who as physician in Africa had witnessed how this virus was hollowing out societies -- did not predict the huge global impact this Bush commitment would have on generations to come.

In my annual medical mission trips to Africa during the Bush administration, I saw the cost of treatment for HIV with life-saving antiretrovirals (ARVs) drop from $4,000 a year to $125. The number of Africans on ARVs jumped from 50,000 to 2.1 million.

And the multiplier effect of Bush making this a presidential global priority was reflected thereafter in every meeting I had as Senate majority leader with the world leaders, including those from Russia, China and India. If you were dealing with the United States, you'd better have made HIV a national priority, because we had.

And it was more than HIV. Six months ago, Tom Daschle, Mike Huckabee, John Podesta, Cindy McCain and I (yes, we five of different persuasions do work together!) went to Rwanda on a fact-finding trip.

Our visits with villagers all over the country opened our eyes to how Bush's five-year, $1.2 billion effort to combat malaria has provided 4 million insecticide-treated bed nets and 7 million life-saving drug therapies to vulnerable people. Yes, George Bush the healer.

Future historians will also note what today's pundits ignore: total US government development aid to Africa quadrupled from $1.3 billion in 2001 to more than $5 billion in 2008. What's more, the Bush administration doubled foreign aid worldwide over the past eight years. You have to go back to the Truman years to match that.

And the president revolutionized the way we give aid with the creation of the Millennium Challenge Corporation, now active in 35 countries. This $6.7 billion public-private partnership for the first time ties aid to accountability based on a country's governing well, fighting corruption and commitment to economic freedoms.

Secondly, Bush healed abroad, but he also healed right here at home.

Before Bush acted, the nation's 43 million seniors did not have affordable access to prescription drugs (the most powerful tool a doctor has to prevent and treat disease) through the Medicare program. Today, because of George Bush, they do.

Initially, conservatives howled because the prescription drug initiative "cost too much." Liberals hated it because it involved the markets and competition. But today, 23 million seniors live healthier lives, Medicare drug spending has been 20 percent to 30 percent less than predicted for each of the past two years and seniors overwhelmingly give the program enthusiastic reviews.

And, in addition, the program is highly redistributive -- giving advantages the poorest, introducing preventive care to Medicare, encouraging electronic prescribing and introducing chronic disease management. Who says Republicans can't lead on heath reform?

Thirdly, a lot of people forget that the health of a nation's people is more dependent on behavior and education than on health services -- the doctors, hospitals and insurance companies. Infant mortality is three times higher for a woman who did not graduate from high school when compared with one who has a college degree.

And the president focused laser-like on improving K-12 education by demanding transparency and accountability, and raising expectations.

The U.S. ranks a miserable 21st in the world in science and 25th in math among 15 year-olds. President Bush made the education of our children a moral issue.

To maintain our now slipping global competitiveness, we have no choice but to radically transform the K-12 education system over the next decade. And historians will say it all began with the groundbreaking No Child Left Behind legislation of President Bush.

I've had the privilege of knowing George W. Bush personally and as president. I have seen his passions. Naturally, he will be judged in the short term for his role in waging the war on terror, keeping America safe since 9/11 and acting on his belief in promoting liberty aboard.

Over time, however, it is the foundations he laid for healing. for the most part ignored by mainstream media, that I am confident will be his enduring legacy.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:44 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

Oh gosh, brain fart. Sorry, that wasn't Bush. That was McCain who shined at the Neuman dinner this year. Bush has done that or things like it in other years and he was also also good, but no, I can't find any video clips--probably buried too deep in Google to pull up easily.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:46 am
@Ticomaya,
The apologists are crawling back out from their dank and smelly hiding spots. Tico carries this smell with him wherever he goes because he has always been a rank apologist for a felon/war criminal.

This isn't about helping the poor/disadvantaged of the world. The stingiest nation on the planet still is the stingiest nation on the planet. Things are done to help themselves first. If there happen to be side benefits for the poor, well they can rethink the policies.

Quote:

Bush uses AIDS funding as an instrument of foreign policy
By Barry Mason

Prior to his announcement the Boston based Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) sent a letter to Bush signed by over a 100 leading health professionals, including Nobel prize winners, involved in the care and treatment of HIV patients. They urged Bush to respond to the HIV/AIDS pandemic and called on the US government to support the Global Fund and to provide debt relief for poor countries.
Following Bush’s speech PHR Director, Holly Burkhalter, said; “The funding of the new plan under the President’s budget would come too slowly. He has allocated only $2 billion in fiscal year 2004, still well short of the $3.5 billion that Physicians for Human Rights is calling for on an annual basis. The money for his plan should be front-loaded to pay for the most expensive initial investment: building health infrastructure. With infrastructure in place, the treatment costs will go down.”
They condemned the fact that “the vast bulk of the new money will be for US government programs.” They were particularly concerned at the creation of a new, high-level Special Coordinator for International HIV/AIDS Assistance at the State Department. They pointed out that neither the Department of Health and Human Services, which houses the CDC and the National Institute of Health, nor USAID has any experience in this area. USAID Administrator Andrew Natsios opposes treatment of AIDS with anti-retrovirals in poor countries.
The US based Global AIDS Alliance criticized the slow timetable of the funding which they considered, “inappropriate from a public health standpoint, because the epidemic is expanding exponentially now and there is extensive under funding of currently available programmes that are ready for scale-up.”
They also criticized the failure to provide funding to some of the countries most heavily affected by HIV/AIDS such as the Democratic Republic of Congo and Mali. They pointed out the obscenity of African countries having to pay debts to the west during the HIV pandemic. “In 2001, African governments paid $14.6 billion in debt servicing to the IMF, the World Bank and wealthy nation creditors. This extraction of local resources directly undermines all efforts to combat AIDS,” their statement read.
The American based AIDS and human rights group Health GAP (Global Access Project) criticized Bush’s attack on the UN Global Fund and went on, “USAID and CDC do not have the capacity nor the desire to implement the programmes called for by the president.”

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/feb2003/aids-f18.shtml

Frist is a lying fool.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:46 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

So...that's a 'no' then?

? No to what? Using party affiliation insignia? Yeah, I would say no to that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:26 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

OGIONIK wrote:

Oh gosh, brain fart. Sorry, that wasn't Bush. That was McCain who shined at the Neuman dinner this year. Bush has done that or things like it in other years and he was also also good, but no, I can't find any video clips--probably buried too deep in Google to pull up easily.

http://msa4.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/alfred_e_neuman.jpg Not Equal http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/AlSmithWaves.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
You're right, it was Al Smith, not Neumann. Oh well. One day I'll learn to not try doing this after being up all night. Sorry about that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 02:10 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

Nope, sorry bud. If I have time later I'll go see what I can find.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Here's some more cut-and-paste ... mainly to irk Bernie:

You think that's irksome?! Gad, just wait until you see the election results (WH, Congress, Senate, state elections) on Nov 4. Not to mention (I wouldn't, of course) the disembowlment of conservatives by conservatives in this new morning for america. Sheesh. There's irksome and there's irksome.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:18 pm
Oh golly, I forgetted that irky irky Franken/Coleman thing. That's gotta be like fingernails screeching across Ann Coulter's yellow teeth.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:28 pm
Politics always brings out the asshole in everyone.

Me included.

but I do truly wonder about Bush supporters.
I just dont SEE it I guess, and I am not being rude, judgmental or hateful.
Im positive he has done some good some where...

but frankly america is on its face right now taking it in the behind thanks to decisions he and his "posse" have made. But that is ok?
its ok to have a war going, americans losing jobs, homes and money hand over fist.

Im not one to promote following anyone blindly... but the entire world sees his presidency for the embarrassment it is.. how is it that anyone else does not?
please do think for yourself.. but.. DAMN... Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:07 pm
But his heart was pure, his intentions good. We know this from Frist, Kristol, Krauthammer, Rove, Rice, Hadley and so many others who themselves could be so described.

Quote:
"No U.S. president can justify a policy that fails to achieve its intended results by pointing to the purity and rectitude of his intentions," - Paul Wolfowitz, "Statesmanship in the New Century," in Kagan, R. and Kristol, W, eds. Present Dangers: Crisis and Opportunity in American Foreign and Defense Policy, San Francisco, 2000, p. 335.

I mean, for **** sakes.