LET GAZA LIVE! - a global outcry

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:17 pm
@Woiyo9,
You're awfully ready to condone war crimes, Woiyo. Are your own experiences in Vietnam coming back to haunt you?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
The news from Gaza is very grim indeed

I don't know about you, but I'm finding it very hard to deal with this.

Please, be respectful -

this thread is not about the conflict between two countries - its about the people of Gaza and demanding an end to what they are going through.

Over a thousand people are dead.
Three hospitals and a UN compound have been bombed n Gaza City, setting fire to warehouses of badly-needed food and medical aid and prompting international outrage.

A Red Crescent office near Gaza City and the main mosque in the southern city of Rafah were also shelled as the Israelis pushed deeper into the Strip.

Brown condemns Israeli attack as "indefensible"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/brown-condemns-israeli-attack-as-indefensible-1379873.html

UN president: Gaza a 'burning hell'

The president of the United Nations has accused Israel of violating international law with its war on Gaza in which almost 1,100 Palestinians have been killed, nearly half of them civilians.

"Gaza is ablaze. It has been turned into a burning hell," Miguel d'Escoto Brockmann told an emergency session of the UN General Assembly in New York on Thursday.

He said Israel's offensive was "a war against a helpless, defenceless and imprisoned people" and accused Israel of carrying out attacks on civilian targets.

"The violations of international law inherent in the Gaza assault have been well documented: collective punishment, disproportionate military force [and] attacks on civilian targets, including homes, mosques, universities, schools.

Gaza war 'genocide'

An Israeli delegate had sought to block the session on procedural grounds by arguing that under the UN charter the 192-member assembly could not rule on a matter already being tackled by the Security Council, but the move was dismissed.

D'Escoto noted that the Security Council last week had called for a Gaza ceasefire leading to the withdrawal of Israeli forces.

Israel has continued its offensive regardless of the resolution which was also rejected by Hamas.

D'Escoto, a former Nicaraguan foreign minister, told Al Jazeera on Tuesday that Israel's killings of Palestinians in Gaza amounted to "genocide".

Almost 1,100 Palestinians have been killed during Israel's Gaza offensive, which Israel says is to stop Palestinian rocketfire coming from Gaza.

http://english.aljazeera.net/mritems/Images/2009/1/15/2009115171457789734_2.jpg

What's happening is an outrage and a profanity and i am finding it very hard to come to terms with it.

i have seen some horrific images over the last two days. The Israelis, as well as being accused by doctors of using white phosphorous - are also being accused of using a test-phase weapon DIME

below is a link to the British Liberal Democrats
The page gives links to news from the region
and other sources
http://www.ldfp.eu/links.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article5497338.ece
http://english.aljazeera.net/

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:26 pm

thanks to Montana, Olga, Cyclops and others who left supportive messages here.

Please post more images of demonstrations, if you want to.
There is to be another in London this weekend.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article5521925.ece

Quote:
The main UN compound in Gaza was left in flames today after being struck by Israeli artillery fire, and a spokesman said that the building had been hit by shells containing the incendiary agent white phosphorus.

The attack on the headquarters of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) came as Ban Ki Moon, the UN Secretary-General, arrived in Israel on a peace mission and plunged Israel's relations with the world body to a new low.

The use of white phosphorous rounds is a crime and supporters of Israel ought to be ******* ashamed. It's basically an attempt to kill people in the most painful way possible.

A violation of the Geneva convention, and just more evidence of the barbarism Israel is willing to inflict upon people they consider to be less than animals.

Cycloptichorn

Funny you should make the comparison to "animals." Do we not kill animals by cutting their heads off? I wonder who cuts heads off?
Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:43 pm

troll
Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:45 pm
@Zippo,
Zippo wrote:

Israel will survive as long as they have the holocaust card and are fully protected by America.

I believe, that it might have been "the holocaust card" that got Israel started; however, it is now, I believe, the "let a sovereign nation live in peace card."

It might also be the "this is what happens when people vote in the wrong government card."
Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:48 pm
@Endymion,
Endymion wrote:

troll

I was just remembering that Wall Street Journal reporter that lost his head in an attempt to get a story that would have been very even-handed.
Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:55 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Endymion wrote:

troll

I was just remembering that Wall Street Journal reporter that lost his head in an attempt to get a story that would have been very even-handed.

fish
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
this thread is not about the conflict between two countries - its about the people of Gaza and demanding an end to what they are going through....

You don't see that as somehow or other related to their voting hamas to be their government so they could use all the food money the UN gives them for rockets to shoot at Israel for the last three years????

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:11 pm
@gungasnake,
I'm not going to get into a debate about the conflict. Stop feeling you have to defend Israel. Don't you realise why people have been demonstrating? Its not to be an enemy of Israel... it's to try and get their OWN GOVERNMENT to be shamed enough into doing something to end the carnage.

That is all it is.

I know it isn't easy for you to understand this. But there are people who simply care about the situation for individual people. For example, a lot of elderly people have been traumatised for years and years following all the abuses they have had to suffer and what's happening right this minute is just too hard for them to bare. And believe it or not I care about that. As i care that 300 children have died horribly.
I know you don't understand. We aren't made the same way. But i care.

Montana

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:17 pm
And I care!
Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:25 pm
@Endymion,
Endymion wrote:

I'm not going to get into a debate about the conflict. Stop feeling you have to defend Israel. Don't you realise why people have been demonstrating? Its not be an enemy of Israel... it's to try and get their OWN GOVERNMENT to be shamed enough into doing something to end the carnage.

That is all it is.

I know it isn't easy for you to understand this. But there are people who simply care about the situation for individual people. For example, a lot of elderly people have been traumatised for years and years following all the abuses they have had to suffer and what's happening right this minute is just too hard for them to bare. And believe it or not I care about that. As i care that 300 children have died horribly.
I know you don't understand. We aren't made the same way. But i care.

Am I wrong and your empathy seems to focus on the plight of the Gazans? No concern for the years of terrorizing Israeli towns with rockets?

If you do have empathy for the years of terrorizing Israeli towns with rockets, do you have a solution? Perhaps, talk nicely to Hamas? "Pretty, please with a cherry on top"?

Very few, I believe, like to see innocents hurt/killed. Assuming Israel has a purpose, I wonder what you might think that purpose is? I think it is to get the rockets to stop and not be resupplied. Sounds simple? It should be, unless one is dealing with a very recalcitrant enemy.

Notice, though, that with all the civilian casualties, the rockets still are fired. What could that mean? A rocket fired is worth more than ending the civilian casualties?

I feel your pain, since I believe that you do not think that life is cheap; however, with those rockets continuing, someone there seems to be devaluing life, more, in my opinion, than Israel.

Succinctly, I believe Hamas suffers from the desire to "want their cake and eat it to," so to speak. That likely will not happen. And, the world-wide outcry, against Israel, gives Hamas, I believe, the hope that Israel will cave to public pressure, and then they (Hamas) will have their cake and eat it to.

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:41 pm

are you deaf?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:43 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

And I care!

the children in Gaza are human. We have a responsibility
Montana

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:19 pm
@Endymion,
Endymion wrote:

Montana wrote:

And I care!

the children in Gaza are human. We have a responsibility

You're so very right Endy. They're no less human than anyone else and my heart bleeds for them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:52 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
the children in Gaza are human. We have a responsibility...

You might consider trying to fulfill that responsibility by setting up some sort of a denazification program for them after Israel takes the hamas regime down.

http://pmw.org.il/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:54 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denazification
0 Replies

tarakesh

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:12 pm
@Foofie,
I wonder if that 3 year old child who died cut anyone's head off. Do you really think of all Palestinians as terrorists?
gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:34 pm
@tarakesh,
They're all being indoctrinated to BECOME terrorists.
Montana

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:39 pm
@gungasnake,
Holy ****! Very scary knowing people actually think like this!