Is american popular culture poisoning young british society?

Fountofwisdom

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
Actually Socrates was sentenced to Death for corrupting the young: i think old people are a drag. Even myself. I think one of the problems is demographics too. Their are a lot more old folk around. Get out of the way, if you won't lend a hand.
I
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:22 am
@Gargamel,
Of the thousands of blokes I've heard say Fancy a f**k, darlin, not one has ever been successful. Even with drink or drugs involved. Ironically teen idol Cassidy was 26. I think I love you was a naff song then. But that was also when I understood what puppy love was.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:33 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Quote:
No American Band has ever matched the standards set by The Stones, The Beatles, Floyd,Zeppelin,Oasis or the Arctic Monkeys.

This line made me literaly laugh so hard, blood came out of my nose.

How about some American bands that not only BEAT the 'standards' set by the above bands, they beat them up, take their lunch money and send them home to their quaint little island to cry in their mummy's apron.

I'm talking about The Doors, Metallica, The Beach Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Buddy Holly, The Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, Nirvana, and my personal favorite, Blue Oyster Cult.

I'll concede the fact that the Beatles opened the door for many other bands that followed and some of their later stuff was amazing.

The Stones have never impressed me except with their longevity. No one knows HOW Keith Richards is still alive.

Floyd and Zep were amazing bands and they each established unique sounds that many others strove in vain to copy, but many of the above American bands blazed original trails that no other bands could follow.

I went on Youtube to listen to the Arctic Monkeys and came away less than impressed.

And Oasis? OASIS? Are you fricken serious? Oasis is not even in the same class as any of the above bands. Oasis is so far out of the class of these bands that if Oasis' class were to explode, none of the above bands would hear the noise for a week.
Wilso

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:08 am
@Fedral,
Fedral wrote:

How about some American bands that not only BEAT the 'standards' set by the above bands, they beat them up, take their lunch money and send them home to their quaint little island to cry in their mummy's apron.

I'm talking about The Doors, Metallica, The Beach Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Buddy Holly, The Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, Nirvana, and my personal favorite, Blue Oyster Cult.

You're full of crap. But that's not news. In answer to the original question, American popular culture poisons EVERYTHING it touches. The perfect place to live would be the country that looks at everything America does - and then doesn't.
Fedral

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:26 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
The perfect place to live would be the country that looks at everything America does - and then doesn't.

Sure, then instead of having the highest standard of living in the world, they will have the lowest. Instead of producing more food than anywhere else in the world, they can sit and starve. Instead of having one of the freest press, people and society, they can live in constant fear and oppression.

WAIT! I found your Utopia! You should move to Zimbabwe! It has EVERYTHING you are looking for.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:04 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
In answer to the original question, American popular culture poisons EVERYTHING it touches.

Wilso...what in the heck happened to you??? I don't remember this kind of tripe coming from you. Do we really have to hate each other this much?
Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 01:30 pm
@Fedral,
I find your argument on music strange: Your list of artists are entirely snowflakes. If there were great American musicians I'd say Hendrix (who is a Brit),Prince, Motown generally, but Aretha Franklin in particular and Chuck Berry.
Do you believe America only has white people?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
By the way...how can you good folk possibly have a discussion purporting to be about MUSIC…and not yet have mentioned the names Luciano Pavarotti, Maria Callas, Arturo Toscanini, Ludwig van Beethoven, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Puccini, Verdi, Wagner.

These people made music.

The other people...the ones you have mentioned...make noise.

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
A wonderful selection Frank: a cultured choice indeed: Number of Americans in your list?
Fedral

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Quote:
No American Band has ever matched the standards set by The Stones, The Beatles, Floyd,Zeppelin,Oasis or the Arctic Monkeys

And exactly how many non 'snowflakes' are in the groups YOU mentioned?

Or are there only white people in Britain? Have none of them ever made any music?

Before you make some sideways implication of racism to someone, be sure to take a long look in the mirror
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 11:53 pm
Hey, everybody, let's compromise! By which I mean we'll all agree that Foreigner, composed of both Americans and Brits, is the BEST BAND EVAR. I firmly believe that if we listen to "I Want to Know What Love Is" exactly 11,389 times, we'll minimize the risk of admitting that poisoning an entire ******* society might be a concept more aligned with, I don't know, certain superpowers colonizing India and Northern Africa, or bringing "democracy" to the Middle East, as opposed to certain rock n' roll bands rocking the balls off of Cleveland.

Look. I just want to know what love is, bitches.

mav4ick

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:18 am
@Gargamel,
Best anwser yet!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
In answer to the original question, American popular culture poisons EVERYTHING it touches.

Wilso...what in the heck happened to you??? I don't remember this kind of tripe coming from you. Do we really have to hate each other this much?

Oh come on. Despite various achievements, your country is a ******* cess pool. You murder roughly 20000 of each other each year, some of your cities are so polluted the air can barely be breathed, and a dribbling moron liky Dubya can be elected president.

Oh Fedral, I'll take good old Oz over your stinking **** hole of a country any day. Especially if it means keeping 12000 miles between myself cocksucking fuckwits like you you worthless ****.
Wilso

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:35 am
And what is American popular culture?Is it represented by such high quality television shows such as Gossip Girl, or the second coming of 90210. Maybe Desperate Housewives provides such a positive influence to the world! Rolling Eyes
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:41 am
@Fountofwisdom,
None. Your point is???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:45 am
@Wilso,
Your pathetic little country is just as much of a cess pool as you allege the United States to be. Get a grip. You sound like an irrational hate monger, which is what i suspect you have become.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:12 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Oh come on. Despite various achievements, your country is a ******* cess pool. You murder roughly 20000 of each other each year, some of your cities are so polluted the air can barely be breathed, and a dribbling moron liky Dubya can be elected president.

Well, Wilso...one of the things I've been arguing is that Bush has destroyed any lingering good feelings people of other countries have for America...(little as that has been in recent decades)...and apparently I am much more correct in that than I actually want to be.

The incredible distaste and loathing you folks are showing towards us is not easy to hear…nor to tolerate...but “hear it” I do and “tolerate it” I will. I even am willing to acknowledge that I understand a lot of it.

But not all of us are the insufferable boors you and Fount seem to want to portray us all as being. Some of us are pretty decent folk…caring, concerned, hard working.

We are an industrialized nation, Wilso…and every industrialized nation has its share of smog, pollution, waste, and inner-city filth. We are no exception.

We do tend to murder each other with greater frequency than most other nationalities…something that makes many of us cringe to acknowledge"something some of us detest more in ourselves than does someone from Oz judging us for 12,000 miles away.

Many of us strive to get our national psyche under control; many of us loathe the constant references of fellow citizens who want to puff out their chests and brag about “lone super power” bullshit. Many of us recognize the difference between pride…and being a bullying asshole with a smile on one’s face.

Seems to me, though, that boorish behavior is not confined to Americans alone. Lumping together a heterogeneous group such as we are for the sheer pleasure of calling the lot of us derisive names…is pretty boorish in itself.

You said to Feral:
Quote:
“I'll take good old Oz over your stinking **** hole of a country any day. Especially if it means keeping 12000 miles between myself cocksucking fuckwits like you you worthless ****.”

Hardly the kind of thing one would expect from someone essentially calling boorishness to someone else’s attention…and giving that person a lecture on how to improve.

And if an American had written those words to you…would you not have thought it an example of the kind of thing you seem to think is wrong with all Americans?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:56 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

And what is American popular culture?Is it represented by such high quality television shows such as Gossip Girl, or the second coming of 90210. Maybe Desperate Housewives provides such a positive influence to the world! Rolling Eyes

Am I correct, that Australia is part of Asia (a Pacific Rim country)?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:25 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Seriously. What did we get from you? Two decent AC/DC albums? Crocodile Dundee? Get the **** outta here!

You do, however, have the honorable distinction of being the first Auissie I've met who's a complete cockfart. Every other I've met has a sense of humor.
Gargamel

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
USA! USA! USA!
0 Replies