Is american popular culture poisoning young british society?

mav4ick

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:49 pm
@littlek,
I know there American i was confused that you would list them as a band to represent a good band!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
We are much more influenced by pictures than by words. It is what is shown in the news which impress us more than what is said.
Before TV people read stupid books, tabloid, gossip magazines or did not read at all, they were gossiping and watching their neightbours.
Now this is done on TV, you can watch shows about problems you earlier only would wisper about, the men´s magzine were very innocent in coparasing with what is shown on TV. Parents don´t want to read fairy tales as they are supposedly too scary for kids, but they let them watch even worse things on TV without realizing that pictures are worse than words and often there is no mother or father in whose arms you can find comfort.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:11 pm
Actually I can't see American culture poisoning anything. Its too dumb.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:16 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Actually I can't see American culture poisoning anything. Its too dumb.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
0 Replies

mav4ick

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 01:20 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Not quite true i think (and im british) your being a bit closed minded about American culture, i think alot of it has good things to offer.... my point was that our youth has taken the bad points!!!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:52 pm
Well, if the British were not fighting some war in Europe, they might have had the manpower to quell that rebellion in the colonies, and today the U.S. would just be another Commonwealth nation, most likely. So, blame the Brits for their own ineffectiveness.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 10:58 pm
@Foofie,
The English were not fighting a European war at the time of the American Revolution. When France decided to ally themselves to the United States, for their own political interests, England went to war at sea with the French, and, in fact, took some quite valuable real estate in the West Indies as a result. The problem the English had in fighting the Continental Congress and its armies was that the war was fought at the end of a long and expensive supply line, and over distances so much more vast than they had ever been obliged to tackle alone that they completely failed to coordinate their efforts in an effective manner. The first great campaign victory for the Americans was when Burgoyne surrendered his army after Saratoga in 1777. Burgoyne was left hanging because Clinton failed to march north in coordination with his drive south. It was precisely because of this victory, that the Continentals backed by militia won without outside aid that convinced the French to ally themselves to our cause.l
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:15 pm
You know, Maverick, what is usually referred to as "the British Invasion"--the phenomenon of British popular music taking the world by storm in the 1960s--was a product of young kids in England listening to Mississippi blues and rhythm and blues and Motown music, and then largely simply recording their own versions of the music. For example, "Money," "Please Mr. Postman" and several other songs which the Beatles did were first recorded by Motown artists. So tell me, leaving aside the incredible amount of money it brought into England, do you see that as the society having been poisoned?
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:16 pm
Oh, and many very popular sitcoms (situation comedies) in the United States were originally "Britcoms." I'm feeling a little nauseous . . . i think we've been poisoned!
Fountofwisdom

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:32 am
@Setanta,
You ignore the fact that America still had segregation: black artists had to appear behind screens so they wouldn't upset white audiences: Popular Black artists such who opposed this were dismissed as communists by the Mcarthyists.
Jimi Hendrix had to record in England. Apparently being a war veteran didn't account for much if you are black.
The King of rock and roll was not the fat white druggie but Chuck Berry, who wrote songs. I notice he didn't get a film deal: any guesses why?
Not all Americans are bad : I have to leave a tribute for Buddy Holly who played behind a screen to show solidarity with his black counterparts.
Paul Robeson is still a hero in the local miners clubs: he refused to play unless the prices were dropped.
I also have no malice towards Micky Mouse. Who has cute ears.
mav4ick

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 05:00 pm
@Setanta,
why are you going on about the 60s, i was refering to a modern trend that iv noticed. It was an observation of what seems to be happenind with the youth of today.......... To bring up something that happened 40 years ago has no relavance to what i was asking and instead is just an stupid way of saying "my countrys better than yours" grow up mate........
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 06:18 pm
Why don't you "grow up mate?" At no time did i indulge is a tit for tat exchange designed to demonstrate that any one country is better than any other country.

The point is that within the English-speaking world, societies influence one another constantly. Both American and English television producers continue to mine one another's successful ideas in the hope of producing their own successful televisions programs. Since the 1960s, the English "music scene" has influenced the American "music scene," and the reverse is true as well. When it comes to childish responses, saying that something is invalid because it happened longer ago than you can personally remember is right up there with the most puerile.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 08:56 pm
This thread is attempting to add apples to oranges, so to speak, I believe. Brits long ago managed to merge to some degree (do not tell a Welsh person) the different ethnic groups on their island nation to emerge as Brits with a distinct culture.

Now the U.S. has a southern culture, a northeastern culture, a western culture, and a midwest culture. Like a matrix, there is also a decidedly eastern culture and a west coast culture. Then there is a Black culture that does a better job, in my opinion, of relating to Black citizens throughout the country, than any regional white culture.

Then there is a WASP culture, and different ethnic cultures that reflect non-WASP backgrounds.

There is also an Hispanic culture and an English speaking culture.

So, just because the media talks about an American culture does not mean there is one American culture. The U.S. is 3,000 miles from coast to coast. I think three Europes can fit into the land mass called the U.S.A., let alone an island nation.

So, let us just understand that Britain had an Empire, and the sun set on it. Without an Empire the U.S.A. is a medley of people from every corner of this planet. Not just folks from ex-colonies.

Any Brit broaching the original thought in this thread is trying, in my humble opinion, to play with the adults, so to speak.

Now let us recite the Pledge of Allegiance <Americans put their right hand over their heart and face the American flag>

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:39 am
@Foofie,
Some interesting points: so you are arguing that there is no such thing as American Culture?
I argued all your points in my first post. For instance it could be argued that NWA could be seen as poisonous, but not say Yogi Bear, or Sabrina the teenage which.
I find blaming America for all the world's ills is wrong. People have always complained the youth are out of control. Always will. The Times they are a Changing.
My argument against the pledge of allegiance in schools is that it gets people into the practice of lying and mouthing hogwash. I mean who really believes it? Half the people saying it don't think about its implications.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 07:38 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fount wrote:

Quote:
Re: Setanta (Post 3530805)
You ignore the fact that America still had segregation: black artists had to appear behind screens so they wouldn't upset white audiences: Popular Black artists such who opposed this were dismissed as communists by the Mcarthyists.
Jimi Hendrix had to record in England. Apparently being a war veteran didn't account for much if you are black.
The King of rock and roll was not the fat white druggie but Chuck Berry, who wrote songs. I notice he didn't get a film deal: any guesses why?
Not all Americans are bad : I have to leave a tribute for Buddy Holly who played behind a screen to show solidarity with his black counterparts.
Paul Robeson is still a hero in the local miners clubs: he refused to play unless the prices were dropped.

Last night I had dinner with A2Kers Kickycann, Blatham, Lola, Thomas, and the well-loved Joe Nation. I mentioned our discussion here to Joe...and he said:

"Ask Fount how many black members of Parliament there are now...and how many there have been over the years. And ask how many Prime Ministers have been black."

Sounded like some good questions...and in light of the accusatory nature of this post of yours, appropriate at this point:

How many black members of Parliament are there now?

How many have there been over the years.

How many Prime Ministers have been black."

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:01 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Proving once again that white left wing liberals only tolerate
black Americans so long as they can profit from them.
Foofie

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:10 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

My argument against the pledge of allegiance in schools is that it gets people into the practice of lying and mouthing hogwash. I mean who really believes it? Half the people saying it don't think about its implications.

Half the people are also on the left side of the bellcurve. Is there a correlation? I do not know. But, in some of the regions that I mentioned earlier, the Pledge of Allegiance is not only believed by many, it is the principle on how many relate to being a citizen of the U.S.A.

You are implying, I believe, that the Pledge of Allegiance has insidious effects. No. It has the same effect as saying Grace before a meal; it shows gratitude for living in the U.S.A.

You might not understand this type of deep gratitude towards being an American, never having seen your island nation filled with Yanks, ready to fight against the Nazis in your behalf.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:22 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Really, you're going with Jimi Hendrix? I realize he has a pretty big audience, but who were the people at Monterey and Woodstock, his primary American fanbase in the sixties? Exactly: big fat, bloodthirsty, biogted crackers.

And clearly you've put a lot of thought into your stance on gangsta rap, which, by the way, died about a decade ago. Which artists, specifically, do you consider the biggest offenders?

Please continue to wow me.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
Actually it compares very favourably with America: Around 6% are black or Asian, the same proportion as your senators. However in terms of population The proportion of black people is much lower.
There have been no black prime ministers yet. However Britian has only had SIZEABLE African/carribean populations since the sixties, when migration was encouraged to fill labour shortage areas, the army and bus drivers mostly.
I can't argue there isn't racism in England. But it isn't state sponsored. Certainly we have never had any segregation as that suffered by Rosa parks.
By America I do not include New York, which is much more British in outlook.
Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@Gargamel,
NWA are amusing for a couple of tracks, but descend into garbage and illierate doggerel. Two man Crew are half wits who's music is for teenage virgins. Certainly "Bitch can I take you from behind" isn't a chat up line that works on this planet.
The film P.I.M.P. tries to paint a picture of a likeable pimp without mentioning the harm done to the women who are always refferred to in a derogatory stance.
Public Enemy are probably questionable. Certainly their later anti semitic stance. Puff Daddy described the murder of homeosexuals as "righteous". I can appreciate a lot of variances in music. I draw the line at violent to women and homophobia. Incitement to murder is also questionable. Raggamuffin is merely putting a stream of swear words to a beat track.
I am not against black music. Garage ans speed garage are mighty fine grooves. Artists such as Prince and Santana are in their own way greats.
However all the American Rap combined is not fit to wipe the shoes os Britsh Rant poet Benjamin Zephaniah. Listen to multi racial Brit bands like the specials or ub40.
0 Replies