Can you look at this map and say Israel does not systemically appropriate land?

JTT

Tue 12 Nov, 2013 01:00 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Deliver me from fundamentalist religious fruits.

That has been a guiding principle, faked of course, for many an illegal invasion of many a country by the USA, MiT.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Tue 12 Nov, 2013 02:43 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

But Jesus was solid flesh and blood and seen by thousands, he arrived on earth and said- "I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going..I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14,Matt 13:35)
so I'd call that "Alien Contact", wouldn't you?..

RF, I'm not going to get into a prolonged subject regarding religion with you but let me give you my take on the man, Jesus. Jesus was who he was before man built an institution around him. As far as I am concerned there is no verifiable proof by experience or experiment that Jesus was born of a virgin and in fact, that is a physical impossibility. Many people wonder who knocked Mary up. I don't mean to offend your religious sensibilities but you keep on pushing.

Our species is a sexual one. We are created via the sex act and are born with a sexual instinct or sexual drive which is present even when the child is nursing from his mother's breast. This libido drive will remain with us until the day we die unless of course there is a physical problem which interferes with this natural process. Saying that, the sexual drive in humans is no different today than it was during the time of Jesus. Not all young people at that time made love outside of marriage bond, but some did.....so it's difficult for me to think of Jesus as the son of God or even to think of a higher being whom I'm unable to see as the creator of all I see. Man, theoretically, is an animal sharing a common ancestor with some other primates. I am a deep believer in Darwin's Theory of Evolution. The latest theory is we stem from Lucy, Mother of Man, and that the DNA in the Ethiopian discovery is 3.2 million years old is present in every living man on earth today.

Man's transition to behavioral modernity with the development of culture, language, and specialized lithic technology happened around 50,000 years ago according to many anthropologists, although some suggest a gradual change in behavior over a longer time span." We are still in the learning stage; why else would we constantly be at war with one another, racist against our brother who look differently on the outside? Killing for profit? Building more and more sophisticated weapons to annihilate the other? Oh the pain and suffering we cause each other!!!!!

There in a nutshell is my belief.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 12 Nov, 2013 02:50 pm
Oh Moment, you don't seem to like Jesus! Go talk about him with us in a Religious thread if you like..Smile

Jesus spent a terrible long night before his death,unable to sleep and racked with loneliness as his disciples fell asleep,
But next day on the cross, as he slipped into death his tired pain-filled eyes saw a host of loyal women who'd stuck with him to the end..
"Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed his last. There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene and Salome, who followed him and ministered to him when he was in Galilee, and many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem" (Mark 15:37)
They gave him the last womanly comfort they could by making sure he never died alone..
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub3/jesus.jpg

Some of his disciples ran off in fear of the Romans, but women stuck with him to the end-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-deadC.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Jesu-maryC.gif

It's almost as if he knew they'd be there for him, so he made sure he was always there for them during his lifetime-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JesusAdultrss.jpg
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:11 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Ironically, the State of Israel will eventually become Arab within a few generations seeing as how the Arab population is growing faster than the Jewish one.

In the end it will have been much ado about nothing, or at the very least, very little.

That might be what liberal media promulgate; however, over 50% of Israel are Sephardic Jews from the Arab countries (post 1957). They too have large families, having lived in those Arab countries for the last 3,500 years, or so. I am not so sure of your prediction; however, it can be a shade of gray, so to speak, like the WASP's of the U.S. (smaller percentage of the population, but still the movers and shakers).

This does not belie the present prognostications of the statisticians who've researched the phenomenon, references to "liberal media" notwithstanding.
Foofie wrote:
But, it's nice to know you are so conscious of what Jews are doing (read sarcastic).

Ok.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:20 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
You are funny in my opinion. You are calling the desire to survive beyond the anti-Semitism that seems to have moved from Nazi Germany to the Middle East "indignation"? You seem, in my opinion, to wrap your anti-Israel rhetoric in a veneer of intellectualism.

Yes, I try not to get emotional about it.
Quote:
How did you first begin to see Israel from your perspective? I mean, do you not care that Jews barely survived the Holocaust in Western Europe? Note that Germany has the U.S. and NATO to protect it, and they were the perpetrators of the atrocities. Good Germans. But Israel, for wanting to survive as a haven for the Holocaust survivors, and somewhere that Sephardic Jews (Arab Jews) can live without being second class citizens, as they did in Arab countries, are bad Jews?

The repression and blatant hypocrisy are what stand out about this conflict as well as the violence that's been perpetrated in the name thereof. It's been obvious to me since I began to pay attention to world events at a fairly early age.

In regard to the Holocaust as a rationalization for the existence of the state of Israel, I think that the Zionists, instead of a repressive ethnocentric state and the enabling from other states that has propped and perpetuated it, need a series of collective psychological counselling sessions to help them deal with the PTSD caused by the Holocaust and the other repression they have experienced in other parts of the world.

I don't think that the Zionists are bad; merely they are deeply troubled, and have dealt with their issues in very negative ways, and this behavior has been enabled by the world's powers that be.

Foofie wrote:
O.K. you are not an anti-Semite.

Laughably, something tells me you're not really convinced.
Foofie wrote:
But, you might have some other problem with your thinking ability?

My thinking ability is quite well, thank you very much.
Quote:
I think it might be that you see Israel as only a country for European Jews. It is really a country where Arab Jews and Ethiopean Jews can, for the first time in 3,500 years not be second class citizens. They will out populate the European Jews, and through the wonder of a universal draft will develop a mixed breed to Israeli, that is already way under way (aka, Sabra).

Be that as it may, it does not justify the Zionists' repression of the Palestinian peoples.

Repression does not justify repression.

Mental illness does not justify repression.

It's as simple as that.
Foofie wrote:
You seem to be closed minded, in my opinion. Who gave you your perspective? It really does not sound philo-Semitic. You seem to offer no compromises. So, in my opinion, you are not siding with the Palestineans, but the Arab perspective of eradicating Israel, or am I wrong?

I'm open minded enough to have considered the idea of repression as justification for repression, and it doesn't square with ideas of morality and justice. Sorry.

My perspective is philo-anthropic, which includes Semites, but certainly not to the exclusion of other peoples.

A people's human rights must not be compromised. I don't believe in compromise along those lines.

I don't know what "the Arab perspective" is, but Israel should be eradicated and replaced by an inclusive, egalitarian state that enfranchises all of the peoples in Palestine.

You forgot to melodramatically admonish me not to reply.
InfraBlue

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:28 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
"Jewish" indignation doesn't justify the Zionists' repression of the Palestinian peoples.

No such repression.

Says you.
oralloy

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 06:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
"Jewish" indignation doesn't justify the Zionists' repression of the Palestinian peoples.

No such repression.

Says you.

Says everyone who isn't an anti-Semitic scumbag.
JTT

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

That is so patently false, Oralloy. It's such a childish argument. Israel has committed some major crimes. It is daily involved in terrorist activities to frighten and repress the Palestinian people.

Quote:
"...The charge that criticism of Israel is implicitly anti-Semitic -- is regarded in Israel and the United States as Israel's trump card. If it has been played more insistently and aggressively in recent years, that is because it is now the only card left. The habit of tarring any foreign criticism with the brush of anti-Semitism is deeply ingrained in Israeli political instincts: Ariel Sharon used it with characteristic excess but he was only the latest in a long line of Israeli leaders to exploit the claim. David Ben-Gurion and Golda Meir did no different. But Jews outside of Israel pay a high price for this tactic. Not only does it inhibit their own criticisms of Israel for fear of appearing to associate with bad company, but it encourages others to look upon Jews everywhere as de facto collaborators in Israel's misbehavior. When Israel breaks international law in the occupied territories, when Israel publicly humiliates the subject populations whose land it has seized -- but then responds to its critics with loud cries of "anti-Semitism" -- it is in effect saying that these acts are not Israeli acts, they are Jewish acts: The occupation is not an Israeli occupation, it is a Jewish occupation, and if you don't like these things it is because you don't like Jews. In many parts of the world this is in danger of becoming a self-fulfilling assertion: Israel's reckless behavior and insistent identification of all criticism with anti-Semitism is now the leading source of anti-Jewish sentiment in Western Europe and much of Asia..."

excerpted from the article
"The Country that Wouldn't Grow Up"
by Tony Judt
Ha'aretz, www.haaretz.com, 5/5/06

InfraBlue

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:33 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

No such repression.

Says you.

Nuh-uh
JTT

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The repression and blatant hypocrisy are what stand out about this conflict as well as the violence that's been perpetrated in the name thereof. It's been obvious to me since I began to pay attention to world events at a fairly early age.

Did your paying attention to world events, Infra, happen to include looking at the US and its vastly greater repression of more countries and peoples and its much more blatant hypocrisy than Israel could ever hope to achieve unless the US doubled or tripled its aid.

Quote:
US diplomats like to say that when it comes to the Palestinian-Israeli peace process the US plays the role of 'an honest broker. "But the US's massive foreign aid payments to Israel mean that, in fact, the US is taking sides. Israel is the largest recipient of US foreign aid in the world, receiving more than $6 billion annually-or about $8 million every-day. Until the US stops lending its weight to Israel through biased and unfair support, a truly just peace will remain elusive.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Israel/Ten_Reasons_Oppose_Aid.html

oralloy

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 09:23 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That is so patently false, Oralloy.

I disagree. I think anti-Semitism can be directly linked to anti-Semites.

JTT wrote:
It's such a childish argument.

I do not find denouncing anti-Semitism to be childish.

JTT wrote:
Israel has committed some major crimes.

No, all they've done is defend themselves against people who refuse to make peace with them.

JTT wrote:
It is daily involved in terrorist activities

Terrorism involves intentionally targeting civilians. Israel does not do that.

The Palestinians however, being Muslims, target civilians routinely.

JTT wrote:
to frighten and repress the Palestinian people.

The only thing Israel does to the Palestinians, is prevent the Palestinians from massacring innocent people.

article written by a self-hating Jew wrote:
"...The charge that criticism of Israel is implicitly anti-Semitic -- is regarded in Israel and the United States as Israel's trump card.

"Falsely accusing Jews of having committed horrendous crimes" has always been a staple of anti-Semitism.

If it has been played more insistently and aggressively in recent years, that is because it is now the only card left.

More that it is the only card that is even appropriate when anti-Semitism is being denounced.

The habit of tarring any foreign criticism with the brush of anti-Semitism is deeply ingrained in Israeli political instincts: Ariel Sharon used it with characteristic excess but he was only the latest in a long line of Israeli leaders to exploit the claim.

Denouncing anti-Semitism is hardly an exploit.

But Jews outside of Israel pay a high price for this tactic. Not only does it inhibit their own criticisms of Israel for fear of appearing to associate with bad company,

If self-hating Jews feel uncomfortable about promulgating anti-Semitism, perhaps they should stop promulgating anti-Semitism.

but it encourages others to look upon Jews everywhere as de facto collaborators in Israel's misbehavior.

Anti-Semites attack Jews because they are anti-Semites. They don't have any other reasons.

The fact that anti-Semites try to justify their attacks with false allegations of "misbehavior" does not mean that there is any actual misbehavior.

When Israel breaks international law in the occupied territories, when Israel publicly humiliates the subject populations whose land it has seized -- but then responds to its critics with loud cries of "anti-Semitism"

Israel is not breaking international law. They are merely defending themselves against people who refuse to make peace.

False accusations that Israel is breaking the law are rightfully denounced as anti-Semitiesm.

it is in effect saying that these acts are not Israeli acts, they are Jewish acts: The occupation is not an Israeli occupation, it is a Jewish occupation, and if you don't like these things it is because you don't like Jews.

It is reasonable to suggest that the reason people concoct false accusations against Israel is because they don't like Jews.

In many parts of the world this is in danger of becoming a self-fulfilling assertion: Israel's reckless behavior and insistent identification of all criticism with anti-Semitism is now the leading source of anti-Jewish sentiment in Western Europe and much of Asia..."

The leading source of anti-Jewish sentiment is anti-Semitism. The second biggest source of anti-Jewish sentiment is self-hating Jews.
oralloy

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 09:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

No such repression.

Says you.

Nuh-uh

Nope. We humans freely acknowledge the fact that Israel is merely defending themselves from relentless attacks by people who refuse to make peace.

Only anti-Semitic scum pretend that the Palestinians are somehow being repressed.
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 09:30 pm
@oralloy,
I'll leave you to your orgasmic delusionary spree. Make sure you put a plastic garbage bag over your keyboard.

After you're done, try something fact based.

Quote:

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Israel/Israel_LAmer_TrailTerror.html

Israel's Latin American trail of terror
by Jeremy Bigwood
http://english.aljazeera.net/, June 5, 2003

"I learned an infinite amount of things in Israel, and to that country I owe part of my essence, my human and military achievements" said Colombian paramilitary leader and indicted drug trafficker Carlos Castao in his ghostwritten autobiography, Mi Confesin.
Castao, who leads the Colombian paramilitaries, known by their Spanish acronym AUC, the largest right-wing paramilitary force to ever exist in the western hemisphere reveals that he was trained in the arts of war in Israel as a young man of 18 in the 1980s.
He glowingly adds: "I copied the concept of paramilitary forces from the Israelis," in his chapter-long account of his Israel experiences.
Castao's right-wing Phalange-like AUC force is now by far the worst human rights violator in all of the Americas, and ties between that organisation and Israel are continually surfacing in the press.
Outside the law
The AUC paramilitaries are a fighting force that originally grew out of killers hired to protect drug-running operations and large landowners. They were organised into a cohesive force by Castao in 1997. It exists outside the law but often coordinates its actions with the Colombian military, in a way similar to the relationship of the Lebanese Phalange to the Israeli army throughout the 1980s and 1990s.
According to a 1989 Colombian Secret Police intelligence report, apart from training Carlos Castao in 1983, Israeli trainers arrived in Colombia in 1987 to train him and other paramilitaries who would later make up the AUC.
Fifty of the paramilitaries' "best" students were then sent on scholarships to Israel for further training according to a Colombian police intelligence report, and the AUC became the most prominent paramilitary force in the hemisphere, with some 10,000-12,000 men in arms.
The Colombian AUC paramilitaries are always in need of arms, and it should come as no surprise that some of their major suppliers are Israeli. Israeli arms dealers have long had a presence in next-door Panama and especially in Guatemala.
In May of last year, GIRSA, an Israeli company associated with the Israeli Defence Forces and based in Guatemala was able to buy 3000 Kalashnikov assault rifles and 2.5 million rounds of ammunition that were then handed over to AUC paramilitaries in Colombia.
Links with the continent
Israel's military relations with right-wing groups and regimes spans Latin America from Mexico to the southernmost tip of Chile, starting just a few years after the Israeli state came into existence.
Since then, the list of countries Israel has supplied, trained and advised includes Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela.
But it isn't only the sales of planes, guns and weapons system deals that characterises the Israeli presence in Latin America.
Where Israel has excelled is in advising, training and running intelligence and counter-insurgency operations in the Latin American "dirty war" civil conflicts of Argentina, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and now Colombia.
In the case of the Salvadoran conflict - a civil war between the right-wing landowning class supported by a particularly violent military pitted against left-wing popular organisations - the Israelis were present from the beginning. Besides arms sales, they helped train ANSESAL, the secret police who were later to form the framework of the infamous death squads that would kill tens of thousands of mostly civilian activists.
From 1975 to 1979, 83% of El Salvador's military imports came from Israel, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. By 1981, many of those in the civilian popular political movements who had survived the death squads headed for the hills to become guerrillas.
By 1981 there was an open civil war in El Salvador which took over a decade to resolve through negotiations.
Even though the US was openly backing the Salvadoran Army by 1981, as late as November 1983 it was asking for more Israeli "practical assistance" there, according to a declassified secret document obtained recently by Aljazeera.
Among the assistance asked for were helicopters, trucks, rifles, ammunition, and combat infantry advisors to work at both the "company and battalion level of the Salvadoran Army".
One notable Salvadoran officer trained by the Israelis was Major Roberto D'Aubuisson, who always held a high opinion of the Israelis. It was Major D'Aubuisson who ordered the assassination of El Salvador's archbishop amongst thousands of other murders.
Later he would organise the right-wing National Republican Alliance Party (ARENA) and send his son to study abroad in the relative safety of Israel.
Dirty war
Amazingly, while the Israelis were training the El Salvadoran death squads they were also supporting the anti-semitic Argentine military government of the late 1970s and early 1980s - at a time when that government was involved_in another "dirty war" of death squads and disappearances.
In 1978, Nicaragua's dictator Somoza was making his last stand against a general uprising of the Sandinista-led population who were sick of his family's dynasty which had ruled and monopolised the county for half a century. The Israelis and the US had been supplying Somoza with weapons for years. But when President Jimmy Carter came into office in 1976 he ordered a cessation of all US military assistance to Nicaragua.
Filling the void, the Israelis immediately increased their weapons supplies to Somoza until he fled the country when the Sandinistas took power.
Israeli operatives then helped train right-wing Nicaraguan Contras in Honduran and Costa Rican camps to fight the Sandinista government, according to Colombian police intelligence reports Aljazeera_has obtained.
At least some of the same Israeli operatives had also previously trained the nucleus of the paramilitary organisations that would become the AUC in Colombia.
But by far the bloodiest case of Israeli involvement in Latin America was its involvement in Guatemala from the 1970s to the 1990s. As in El Salvador, a civil war pitted a populist but, in this case, mainly Indian left against a mainly European oligarchy protected by a brutal Mestizo Army.
As Guatemalan President Carlos Arana said in 1971, "If it is necessary to turn the country into a cemetery in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so."
oralloy

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 09:34 pm
@JTT,
anti-Semitic article wrote:
Until the US stops lending its weight to Israel through biased and unfair support, a truly just peace will remain elusive.

Hardly unfair for the US to provide aid to fellow good guys.

US aid is not an impediment to a just peace. The reason there isn't a just peace is because the Palestinians refuse to ever make peace.

If US aid did end, it would actually lead to more wars, as a weaker Israel would need to be more proactive about eliminating nearby threats.
oralloy

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 10:02 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
After you're done, try something fact based.

I skimmed the article. I have no basis for deeming it either true or false. However, I do not see how it reflects on Israel.

If someone who once associated with Israel later embarks on a campaign of wrongdoing after parting ways with Israel, that is not in any way something that Israel is responsible for.
JTT

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:00 am
@oralloy,
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Israel/Media_Cover_Israel.html

How the media cover for Israel
by John Pilger
International Socialist Review, August 2002

If you got your news only from the television, you would have no idea of the roots of the Middle East conflict, or that the Palestinians are victims of an illegal military occupation.
In May, the Glasgow University Media Group, distinguished for its pioneering media analysis, published a study of the reporting of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. It ought to be required reading in newsrooms and media schools. The research showed that the public's lack of understanding of the conflict and its origins was compounded by news reporting, especially on television.
Viewers, says the study, are rarely told that the Palestinians are victims of an illegal military occupation. The term "occupied territories" is almost never explained. Indeed, only 9 per cent of young people interviewed knew that the Israelis were the occupiers and the "settlers" were Israeli. The selective use of language is important. The study found that words such as "murder," "atrocity," "lynching," and "savage, cold-blooded killing" were used only to describe Israeli deaths. "The extent to which some journalism assumes the Israeli perspective," wrote Professor Greg Philo, "can be seen if the statements are 'reversed' and presented as Palestinian actions. [We] did not find any [news] reports stating that 'The Palestinian attacks were in retaliation for the murder of those resisting the illegal Israeli occupation."'
Given that the central truth of the conflict is routinely obscured, none of this is surprising. News and current affairs programs seldom, if ever, remind viewers that Israel was established largely by force on 78 percent of historic Palestine and, since 1967, has illegally occupied and imposed various forms of military rule on the remaining 22 percent. The media "coverage" has long reversed the roles of oppressor and victim. Is- lsraelis are never called terrorists. Correspondents who break this | taboo are often intimidated with slurs of anti-Semitism-a bleak irony, as Palestinians are Semites, too.
Having long ago recognized Israel's "right" to more than two-thirds of their country, the Palestinian leadership has contorted itself in order to accommodate a maze of mostly American plans designed to deny true independence and ensure Israel's enduring power and control. Until recently, this was reported uncritically as "the peace process." When ordinary Palestinians cried "enough!" and rose up in the second intifada, armed mostly with slingshots, they were put down by snipers with high-velocity weapons and with tanks and Apache gunships, supplied by the United States.
And now, in their despair, as some are turning to suicide attacks, the Palestinians appear on the news only as bombers and rioters, which, as the Glasgow study points out, "is, of course, the view of the Israeli government." The latest euphemism, "incursion," is from the vocabulary of lies coined in Vietnam. It means assaulting human beings with tanks and planes. "Cycle of violence" is similar. It suggests, at best, two equal sides, never that the Palestinians are resisting violent oppression with violence. A Channel 4 Dispatches recently "balanced" the Israeli assault on the Jenin refugee camp with a Palestinian attack on a "settlement." There was no explanation that these are not settlements at all, but armed, illegal fortresses that are central to a policy of imposing strategic and military control.
On June 9, the Correspondent series on BBC Television broadcast a report about the recent siege of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. This was an exemplar of the problems identified in the Glasgow research. It was, in effect, an Israeli occupation propaganda film put out by the BBC. It was made as a co-production with an American channel, and the credits listed the producer as Israel Goldvicht, who runs an Israeli production company. That would have been fine had the filmmakers made any attempt to challenge the Israeli military with whom they had ingratiated themselves. "The Israelis were determined not to damage the buildings," began the narrator. "The international press were cleared from Manger Square, but we were allowed to stay and observe the Israeli operation..." With this "unique access" unexplained to the viewers, the film presented one Colonel Lior as the star good guy, guaranteeing "medical treatment to anyone wounded," saying a cheery hello on a mobile phone to a friend in Oxford Street and, like any colonial officer, speaking about and on behalf of the Palestinians.
"Killers" were described by the colonel without challenge by the BBC/Israel Goldvicht team. They were "terrorists" and "gunmen," not those resisting the invasion of their homeland. Israel's right to "arrest" foreign peace protesters drew no query from the BBC. Not a single Palestinian was interviewed. As the sun set on his fine profile, the last word went to the good colonel. The issues between the Israelis and Palestinians, he said, "were personal points of view."
Well, no. The brutal subjugation of the Palestinians is, under any interpretation of the law, an epic injustice, a crime in which the colonel plays a leading part. The BBC has always provided the best, most sophisticated propaganda service in the world, because matters of justice and injustice, right and wrong are simply usurped either by "balance" or by liberal sophistry; one is either "pro-Israeli" or "pro-Palestinian." Fiona Murch, the executive producer of Correspondent, told me that Israel Goldvicht Productions would not have won the "trust" of the Israeli army had the producer asked real journalistic questions. That was the way of "fly on the wall": a candid admission. "It was breaking a stereotype," she said. "It was about a good, decent man" (the colonel). She said I ought to have seen an earlier Correspondent series, which had Palestinians in it.
I think she was trying to offer that as "balance" for "The Siege of Bethlehem"-a film that might be dismissed as cheap PR, were it not for its complicity with a regime that uses ethnic difference to deny human rights, imprisons people without charge or trial, and murders and tortures "systematically," says Amnesty.
Goebbels would have approved.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Israel Shahak
The Nazis made me afraid to be a Jew, and the Israelis make me ashamed to be a Jew.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Hardly unfair for the US to provide aid to fellow good guys.

That is risible. The US has been raping and pillaging Central American and South American countries for over a century just like it raped and pillaged Hawaii and the Philippines. Israel has just taken over some of those same tasks.

It's ironic that Israel turned out to be like the Nazis.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:40 am
@oralloy,
Ralph Nurnberger, a scholar and keen observer of Judaism

For many American Jews, Israel has replaced Judaism as their religion.

Fundamentalist Christians and the Jews who accept Israel as their religion seem constrained to defend it from all criticism. In their zeal they often wrongfully castigate Israel's critics as anti-Semites or as "self-hating Jews." The effect is intimidation. Free speech is stifled and thoughtful study and appraisal inhibited.

Most of the fallacies about Israel are the work of religious partisans, both Jewish and Christian, who repeat these fallacies so frequently year after year that they are accepted almost universally as fact. For most Americans, this skein of myths defines Israel and constitutes the case for still more U.S. economic, political, and military aid.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 10:59 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu have both said Israel is an apartheid state. Discrimination occurs all the time.

Happy Saturday, Izzy. Below are 7 Mandela Quotes. BTW, I agree with your statement above.
________
7 Nelson Mandela Quotes You Probably Won’t See In The U.S. Media

The former South African president, who died Thursday, was a revolutionary and a deep skeptic of American power.
posted on December 6, 2013 at 10:08am EST
Andrew Kaczynski
BuzzFeed Staff

7. On the U.S. war with Iraq:

“If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don’t care for human beings.” Mandela also said regarding the invasion of Iraq that "America was run by a president who could not think properly." (Mandela was referring to GWB.)
Via cbsnews.com

6. On Israel:
“Israel should withdraw from all the areas which it won from the Arabs in 1967, and in particular Israel should withdraw completely from the Golan Heights, from south Lebanon and from the West Bank.”
Via jweekly.com

5. On the U.S. war with Iraq:
“All that (Mr. Bush) wants is Iraqi oil.”
Via cbsnews.com

4. Mandela on Castro and the Cuban revolution:
“From its earliest days, the Cuban Revolution has also been a source of inspiration to all freedom-loving people. We admire the sacrifices of the Cuban people in maintaining their independence and sovereignty in the face of the vicious imperialist-orquestrated campaign to destroy the impressive gain made in the Cuban Revolution. … Long live the Cuban Revolution. Long live comrade Fidel Castro.”
Via lanic.utexas.edu

3. Mandela on Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, his longtime supporter:

“It is our duty to give support to the brother leader … especially in regards to the sanctions which are not hitting just him, they are hitting the ordinary masses of the people … our African brothers and sisters.”
Via finalcall.com

2. On the U.S. preparing to invade Iraq in a 2002 interview with Newsweek:

“If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace.”
Via newsweek.com

1. On a Palestinian state:
“The UN took a strong stand against apartheid; and over the years, an international consensus was built, which helped to bring an end to this iniquitous system. But we know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.”
Via cbsnews.com

15 Of Nelson Mandela’s Most Inspiring Quotes
buzzfeed.com