Can you look at this map and say Israel does not systemically appropriate land?

cicerone imposter

Tue 15 Oct, 2013 09:58 pm
@Foofie,
Your ignorance about sports played in the UK or Europe isn't limited to that continent. Have you not learned anything beyond your own back yard?
Think of India, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, and other countries.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:01 pm
@Foofie,
What's this "baseball", Foofie?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 15 Oct, 2013 11:06 pm
This vid explains baseball nicely-

0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 01:32 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
You are watching soccer. You can watch Rugby or Cricket too, and I won't know what is going on. My lack of knowledge about European or UK sports is just part of my being an outsider on your continent.

No, I'm watching football, as first mentioned by Henry VIII.

You're ignorant of everything outside your own back yard.
McTag

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 07:15 am
@Foofie,

Quote:
You then know about baseball and the World Series.

I think the" World Series" is about a baseball game played mainly in the USA, Canada and the Philippines.
It's a kind of rounders, apparently. There was a film of it played in a corn (maize) field.
Foofie

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 08:10 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You're ignorant of everything outside your own back yard.

It's part of my charm.
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 08:12 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
You then know about baseball and the World Series.

I think the" World Series" is about a baseball game played mainly in the USA, Canada and the Philippines.
It's a kind of rounders, apparently. There was a film of it played in a corn (maize) field.

I have no idea what "rounders" is. Izzy explained I am ignorant, so I don't want to pretend to know anything. Foofie is not a poseur.
oralloy

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 04:20 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I have no idea what "rounders" is. Izzy explained I am ignorant, so I don't want to pretend to know anything. Foofie is not a poseur.

It's a British game similar to baseball and softball but with different rules.

It's kind of like how rugby is similar to football but with different rules.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 04:34 pm
@McTag,
Baysu bollu is also popular in Cuba, South Korea, and Japan.
Foofie

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Meanwhile in the baseball playoffs, the Boston Red Sox had a Japanese pitcher. Japanese ballplayers are coming to the U.S. It must be that American style baseball is what is played in Japan.
cicerone imposter

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:24 pm
@Foofie,
Baseball in Japan has been popular from the times of Baby Ruth.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:30 pm
@Foofie,
This season, 13 Japanese football players have joined first division (Bundesliga) teams, a couple more play in the 2nd and 3rd Bundesliga.

This happens since the 70's - it must be that football is what is played in Japan. [Actually, Japan is one of the most successful football teams in Asia, having qualified for the last five consecutive FIFA World Cups (males and females)]

Neither the Palestine nor the Israel team ever qualified for the World Cup.

Interestingly, the 1934 and 1938 World Cups were contested by a Palestine team made up exclusively of Jewish players - but the Palestine Football Association until then was made up of Arab clubs.
izzythepush

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:49 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
It must be that American style baseball is what is played in Japan.

And all you had to do was nuke them.
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Neither the Palestine nor the Israel team ever qualified for the World Cup.

In my opinion, any hubris (aka, arrogant pride) about Jewish achievements is accomplished by American Jews and their competing quite well alongside upper-class WASP's and other high achieving groups (i.e., Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Asian-Americans). Israel, in my opinion, and likely the opinion of many other American Jews, is just a health insurance policy (aka, safe haven) of sorts, just incase another anti-Semitic demigod comes to power somewhere else in the world, and the U.S./UK closes its doors.

So, most American Jews, in my opinion, are quite part of the American fabric, and are baseball fans, American football fans, and their interest in Israel is negligible. I am not talking about the Orthodox; they are a minority when one parses the American Jewish population.

Since Jews came here when the American West was still the wild west, would you care to guess why so many western sheriff/marshall badges are shaped like the Star of David? I think it had something to do with the beliefs of the early western settlers. The bible was a big part of their lives. Both testaments. My point being is that early America was not a knock-off of Europe, and today there are people that still believe that America is a unique nation. Naturally, there are newer citizens that would like the U.S. to become a satellite of Europe in culture, and thinking. I am not so sure that will happen.

Walter Hinteler

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 01:11 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Since Jews came here when the American West was still the wild west, would you care to guess why so many western sheriff/marshall badges are shaped like the Star of David?
Are you suggesting that Frederick I of Prussia introduced it here for the same reason? I'd thought that he introduced the 'star' as sign for his (military) police for the first time ... following the crosses or crests worn on the clothing or on a shield of knights, who had kind of police authority before. (By 1780, all Prussian police had got the star.)
cicerone imposter

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 01:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Where did the idea for a star-shaped lawman’s badge originate?
Print Email Written by Marshall Trimble Published April 16, 2012

Where did the idea for a star-shaped lawman’s badge originate?
Lavonn Jensen
Pine City, Minnesota

Primitive societies believed the star possessed magical powers, guarding against danger and controlling evil forces. Down through the ages, the star maintained that symbol of guardianship and was adopted by peace officers as a badge for that reason.

Marshall Trimble is Arizona’s official historian. His latest book is Wyatt Earp: Showdown at Tombstone. If you have a question, write: Ask the Marshall, P.O. Box 8008, Cave Creek, AZ 85327 or e-mail him at [email protected]
Walter Hinteler

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 02:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't doubt that.
But the first police (by name) to have the star, was Frederick's Feldjägercorps. And it was shaped similar to the Order of the Black Eagle...
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps40a5c4fa.jpg

... the cross of the latter being a kind of Maltese Cross ...
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps0cede7a3.jpg

And our MP's (still called "Feldjäger") have nearly exactly the same badge as their predecessors 250 years ago

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/d_zpsf566ae0f.jpg

0 Replies

McTag

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 04:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Quote:

That's the rest of the World, then, near as dammit.

How do you explain the title of the Miss Universe competition, then?
cicerone imposter

Thu 17 Oct, 2013 04:46 pm
@McTag,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen many all over the world.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 7 Nov, 2013 03:06 pm
Ilan Ziv: the exile is a myth, and so is Zionism
Quote:
"Jews have no historical right [to the land of Israel]. But I would argue that Palestinians also don’t have a historical right. They have civil rights, they have human rights, but have no historical right.”