Damn you all - I bought myself a birthday cake!

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:36 pm
Happy belated birthday, Linkat!
Izzie

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:02 pm
@Tai Chi,
http://www.wessexcatering.co.uk/images/SkiingBirthdayCake-L.jpg

Hope you had a great one for your New Years Birthday Girl Razz
Gala

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
I think you have to let them know you want a birthday cake in advance. I know it defeats being surprised, but I have a feeling your hubby and the kids are very used to you taking care of practically everything, or at least in the birthday arena...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:37 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

But I have a feeling your hubby and the kids are very used to you taking care of practically everything, or at least in the birthday arena...

You most certainly right on the money ... though depressing as it is. The hubby has no excuse for this egregious error of social nicety based omission. How old are the kids again? If they're older then toddlers then shame on them as well.

Wish I could send you a cake dearest Linkat....
http://i50.tinypic.com/10ie2w1.jpg

Either way! Have a wonderful and appreciation filled Happy Birthday this year!
Gala

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
You most certainly right on the money ... though depressing as it is. The hubby has no excuse for this egregious error of social nicety based omission. How old are the kids again? If they're older then toddlers then shame on them as well.

It's not depressing, they just need some direction and then they'll do just fine, they'll even have fun with it, too. It's way better than stewing about it year in and year out. It's not that they don't care, they just need to go to "I appreciate mother school."

This is along the topic although a different theme-- my dental hygenist decided after going out with too many dud men that when she a guy she liked she'd send him to boyfriend school. It worked, instead of her brooding about the little stuff she brought it into the light, and she graded him, too. They eventually married, etc.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:10 pm
@Tai Chi,
Thanks and guess what! It happened again! And we were at home.

It wasn't all bad - hubby went out to get all the stuff to make me a nice dinner. I let him know what I wanted and everything (I see some one did say I needed to let him know - well he knew).

He got back and began to prepare and after we all sat down to this wonderful dinner - ooops he says - he forgot the to cook the scallops - we were supposed to have fillet mignons and scallops - and he forgot the birthday cake!

I am destined to have cakeless birthday.

So he said he would pick one up for me on Saturday. OK - I took the kids out in the afternoon for a ski lesson at a local hill. When I got back no birthday cake. The kids even mentioned that daddy forgot it.

So on Sunday when I went out grocery shopping I picked up an ice cream birthday cake for myself.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:10 pm
@Izzie,
Nice - seeing we went skiing over vacation!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
They are 7 and 11.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:21 pm
@Linkat,
Well if you trust them in the kitchen. Give them a box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Recipe Yellow Cake mix, a tub of frosting then supervise their first "We appreciate our mother" cooking class.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2006/12/yellowcake_box.jpg + http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/betty-crocker-coconut-pecan-flavoured-cake-frosting-1246-p[ekm]400x300[ekm].jpg (flavoring is your choice of course) = http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-07/24/xin_11207042410445782095361.jpg
aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:22 pm
@Linkat,
You should spend this year teaching the eleven year old how to bake and I guarantee you, next January, s/he'll be dying to try making a cake on his/her own for you.

Believe me, it works. I realized I was being negligent in teaching my kids how to do any cooking or housework because I did it all - I liked to do it, but still, they were growing up helpless. I started teaching them both to cook, and now they both love to do it and I have a birthday cake every year without fail. It really works.

Happy Birthday to you.

(edit to say: Tsarstepan had the same idea).
JPB

@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Well, Linkat, I always wanted to share a birthday thread with you. We have mentioned to each other that we were both born on New Year's Day. (I'll just take BBB's cake and leave the rest of the thread to you.) Smile

Happy Birthday Wandel and Linkat!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

@tsarstepan,
That last image is supposed to be "motherly love" but I'm not sure if it translates as such.... Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:24 pm
@aidan,
Thanks - no this is almost funny and now sorta of annual joke for me. Any way - the 11 year did get an easy bake oven so I know she would make a cake for me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:29 pm
Linkat and JPB,

This year on New Year's Day, A2K was flooded with posts from Gus. Several of his posts made sarcastic remarks about me. I understand that this was just his way of wishing me a happy birthday. Gus is very shy and incapable of expressing affection. He is like the boy in school who pulls on the pigtails of a girl to get her to notice him.

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Linkat!
Izzie

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:36 pm
@wandeljw,
I can't believe it was your birthday jw and we didn't have a thread...

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@Izzie,
They did an excellent job hiding the fact! Razz

Justice needs to prevail! Let's open a dual belated birthday thread for the both of em!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@Izzie,
There was a thread where littlek tried to counter-attack Gus by saying good things about me. This was my birthday thread. You posted on that thread, Izzie, and told me how much you appreciated me. Jespah posted and promised to get a tatoo with my name. JPB, MsOlga, and CJane also said nice things.
Izzie

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:46 pm
@wandeljw,
I did post on that... but didn't know it was your birthday Sad

ha - we love jw thread

that's just uber cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:49 pm
@wandeljw,
And you as well! I did notice a couple. I did not see the huge onslaught as I used this last week of the year for vacation and time with my family (even though again I was cakeless).

Hope you had a great one!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:51 pm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINKAT and WANDEL!

I can't believe nobody has asked this: What kind of cakes do you like best?