I'm confused - can you explain this behaviour to me?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:27 am
@Mame,
Mame, you're learning to live in a new community. They're behaving the way they do. You're not used to it and you're over-thinking it - a lot.

They're letting you know they might be interested. They're not going to care too much one way or another whether you say yes or no. They may ask you a couple of times (sometimes it gets to be a bit of a fun game for them), but they're not that fussed about it bottom-line.

If you're having problems with their interactions with you, you might want to consider staying away from the musicians' get-togethers.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:29 am
@CalamityJane,
CJ's definitely on to something there. The guys know that for a lot of women, it doesn't matter which musican they're with (it works the same way for other gender combos as well).

It's a different world. It can be a lot of fun if you're in that frame of mind.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:32 am
What is it you don't get? How would he know you were "with" Alex? You could have been his sister for all that other guy knew...and he gave you his email. Pretty casual way to initiate contact. Or all he had to do was say, "are you single?"

Ballsy is sh!t I'd hear guys say to an ex I had, who is one of the most beautiful women walking this planet. She'd constantly get hit on with me sitting/standing right by her side. I didn't care, I was the one getting naked with her later.

Scum is me...last night...heavily flirting with my lead singer's mom. Oh christ she's a smokeshow. Eh it was innocent.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Mame, you're learning to live in a new community. They're behaving the way they do. You're not used to it and you're over-thinking it - a lot.

True.
Mame, you are attractive, bright, interested and interesting. For them; 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', (sometimes it works !). Laugh it off.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:47 am
as a musician myself I am appalled that these men are behaving this way. It gives we decent and gentlemanly musicians a bad name.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:50 am
isn't sharing the women part of the musicians culture?? If sharing is the norm then making an opening in front of another man is not disrepect.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
how did I miss out on that all those years? Damn....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 01:16 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

True.
Mame, you are attractive, bright, interested and interesting. For them; 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', (sometimes it works !). Laugh it off.

Eh, I think you're both right. Thanks for the insight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 03:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Well I'm late but as the girlfriend of a musician for a coupla years, yeah, very much agreed with ehBeth. Cultural thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 03:35 pm
@Mame,
I think it was tacky of the "email me" guy to persist when you clearly indicated no. He sounded pretty goddam peremptory too. I forget if the other guy persisted after you had clearly stated you weren't interested. If he did, I think he's tacky too.

Who on earth said Alex should be possessive and offended, Beth?

Mame...you're nuts to be doing any "is this my fault" stuff, unless you were caressing their balls and being seductive with sausages already!!!

Stop it this minute!
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 03:36 pm
@dlowan,
I never thought of that....mame...were you cupping and fondling?
dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 03:41 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Irony's tough on those little bear brains, isn't it?
Mame

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:49 pm
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

What is it you don't get? How would he know you were "with" Alex? You could have been his sister for all that other guy knew...and he gave you his email. Pretty casual way to initiate contact. Or all he had to do was say, "are you single?"

Ballsy is sh!t I'd hear guys say to an ex I had, who is one of the most beautiful women walking this planet. She'd constantly get hit on with me sitting/standing right by her side. I didn't care, I was the one getting naked with her later.

Scum is me...last night...heavily flirting with my lead singer's mom. Oh christ she's a smokeshow. Eh it was innocent.

I told him he was my boyfriend and introduced them. Guess I didn't say that clearly enough.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
@dlowan,
The average bear brain is 498 grams....average rabbits...10 grams. this is why rabbits are good for bear toilet paper
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I think it was tacky of the "email me" guy to persist when you clearly indicated no. He sounded pretty goddam peremptory too. I forget if the other guy persisted after you had clearly stated you weren't interested. If he did, I think he's tacky too.

Who on earth said Alex should be possessive and offended, Beth?

Mame...you're nuts to be doing any "is this my fault" stuff, unless you were caressing their balls and being seductive with sausages already!!!

Stop it this minute!

Thank you. I don't think I was doing anything but you never know what people perceive all by themselves. Maybe he thought I was interested because I was having a good time. I think I'll just keep a little more distance in future.

And neither of them were horrible people; I was just surprised.

Squinney: you're right - different culture. One of Alex's friends is a real blues groupie and she goes to every event that's on ... I don't see what's so special about any of these guys, but different strokes, eh?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:54 pm
@Mame,
were you naked?

(hadda ask)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
I never said that she had said that. I'm saying that some men are scum. Seems (to me ) one of these men in her 2 instances was acting classless and scummy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 06:20 pm
@Mame,
Oh, I missed that part...yea that was dumb on his part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 06:30 pm
@Mame,
Oh Mame....why let a couple of duffers stop you mixing an' mingling enthusiastically!!

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 03:06 pm
Seems obvious to me that these guys think you're out of Alex's league....