It's snowing like crap out here today!

Reyn

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:07 am
Woke up here this morning to find a ton of snow here....and it's still snowing like stink! Supposed to be lots more coming. Mad

Guess who's not going to work today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,424 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:10 am
@Reyn,
I thought you was retired anyway . . . what's it like when crap snows . . . i've never seen that. We've gotten about a foot and a half so far, and about half of that yesterday. I heard a woman on the radio who is a temporary resident of the airport in Vancouver. She said: "I was still pregnant when i got in this line--now my children are 21 and 18 . . . "
Reyn

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:15 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, I was....and the wife and I needed to help our oldest daughter with buying an apartment and car. So, off dad went to work again.

I work in a retail store. With the way it's coming down, maybe they'll not open today anyway.

When crap snows, it gets messy!

I'm in the Fraser Valley, by the way. The outer suburbs of Vancouver.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:01 am
I'm near (enough) to your place, and yup it's dumping here as well; I don't have to teach until January 5th.........."non-instructional days" = three weeks.

I put four (count 'em) Yokohama Ice Guard IG 20 true-honest-to-god winter tires on the Miata, and contrary to popular myth, this little roadster goes damn well in the snow, in fact I can now whiz past the piggish bloated SUV's and pickups, with their excessive inertia and compromised all-seasons.

Most four wheel drive owners do not understand that braking is no better with four wheel drive, they don't understand that inertia is the enemy, as is a high center of gravity, they like to go in the ditch and they like to flip over.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:04 am
It snowed here a couple weeks ago. What a blizzard! Crap flying for about four hours. Melted before it could settle on the ground, then the temp went up to about seventy. Oh, it was terrible.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:05 am
we're in the big melt here, temps above freezing, trying to clear the gutters of snow and ice to make way for the melt water
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@Reyn,
in eastern ontario the snowfall is beginning to turn into rain.
however , in the spirit of the christmas season we'll be happy to have you come and pick up some of the excess snow we already have on the ground .

(NO charge for any amount of snow you care to pick up - it's a christmas present from hbg)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:13 pm
Global Freezing (aka, Little Ice Age).
parados

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm
@Foofie,
Most of us refer to Dec-Mar as winter. It just seems to make more sense to call it a season rather than an "age."
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 01:01 pm
@Reyn,
It snowed like stink here five out of the last six days.

Today I drove to work just as the snow turned into freezing rain. Our office had no power, so I got to drive back home in the slush. Hooray! it's winter.

Just remember, you are part of an effort by Environment Canada for all of Canada to have a white Christmas at once.

Brilliant plan. It seems to be working.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 01:34 pm
Well, we've had about 2 ft of snow here and getting down to -30 some days (that's without the wind chill factor)... today it's mild at -10C.

Air Canada's cancelled all flights in and out of Vancouver but Westjet seems to keep on trucking. Poor people. Guess that goes for parcels, too.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:31 pm
We're getting lots of rain here with temps plunging into the low 50's. Brrr.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:36 pm
@NickFun,
Puppy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:41 pm
Hey everybody! Thanks for all your replies. This morning I shovelled for 2 hours. I took a break for lunch, and will be going back at it shortly.

It's still snowing here, and coming down thick. There's a promise of higher temps for the next few days, so maybe rain.

I'm worried about Christmas coming off here tomorrow. It would be the first time both our daughters have been with us on this day. I will have to pick them up and bring them to our place. With the way things are going, it may not come off. Then, it would be the first Christmas we've had with just my wife and I. Sad

Fingers crossed. See you guys later.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:42 pm
No snow what-so-ever to report in Melbourne Oz on this Christmas morning. (8 am)

You guys have all the fun!
Dutchy

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 05:00 pm
@msolga,
Snow with a temperature of 90 plus on Christmas morning, you got to be kidding, heading to the beach for a dip.
hamburger

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 05:30 pm
@Dutchy,
we had plenty of the snow over the last few days - about 30-40 cm - higher in drifts .
now it has started to rain ; it'll be quite messy , but we don't have to go anywhere !
happy holidays to all !
hbg

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 05:37 pm
Sounds like real fun, Mr. H! Rolling Eyes Although, I would appreciate some rain right now. Just finished another couple hours of shovelling the crap, and it's like I haven't done anything! It's still snowing hard. Very demoralizing, indeed.

Looks like Christmas will be a bust this year for our family.
Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:18 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Most of us refer to Dec-Mar as winter. It just seems to make more sense to call it a season rather than an "age."

Yes; unless it is the preview of more snow, and more cold, lasting till late Spring.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:20 pm
@Reyn,
Our pack won't be travelling to spend Christmas with the hamburgers this year. It's not how we'd hoped it would work out, but we'll get together when the driving conditions are more pleasant.
0 Replies