Overcoming boredom

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:30 am
To my mind, I have arrived at a point in my life in which life itself no longer leaps out at me; the hand of life has let go of mine and now I find myself in a state of boredom, apathy. I desire engagement with the world, but I am unable to find that engagement; I no longer exist in a definite way, rather as a haze or mist, without form. Boredom is what I am, a passionless gloom. I desire to transcend this condition, this distant, seemingly metaphysical state that few can empathize with, let alone sympathize.

I know that this is a puzzle only I myself can solve, and I know I possess the power to solve it, but I would like very much to hear from others similar feelings and experiences of passionless gloom.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,130 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:47 am
@existential potential,
what did you say? I lost track.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:38 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:
I desire engagement with the world, but I am unable to find that engagement;

Why don't you look around your community for volunteer work. I am sure
you can help out in a hospital, hospice, senior home, soup kitchen, catholic
mission, and the likes. They're in dire need of help and in return you'll get
a great feeling of having made a difference in someone's life.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:20 pm
@existential potential,
EP,
I am neither shrink nor detective, but the complex syntax of your sentences and your agile use of metaphor suggests to me that your mind is still very much alive. If one's mind is alive and, most importantly, one keeps moving, so as to increase exposure to a variety of novel experience, one is apt to find the engagement with the world that you seek. While doing this, on another channel, you can be recalling the activities that brought you connection in the past; one or more may have been left dormant long enough that they have potential for new linkages. Calamity Jane's idea of volunteer work is a really good one. One encounters new people, and helping others is usually an engaging process (that typically provides the bonus of making one feel good). The better you feel about yourself, the greater the texture the world will have for you; and more texture means more chances for linkage and engagement.
I can empathize with your boredom; I spend a significant amount of time scanning for possible connections with the world that will keep it at bay--and always have. May I suggest that you don't want sympathy, for people who sympathize with your boredom will keep you from fully owning the issue and getting into the motion that will help you dispel it and keep dispelling it.
You mention "gloom." If you think you might be suffering from depression, I strongly suggest that you take care of that issue first (with prescribed medication AND talk therapy. By the way, some therapists are stimulating conversationalists). It may well be that, even after the gloom is driven away, you may still be bored, but, if you're not gloomy, you'll see the world and its opportunities more clearly.
Get yourself in motion, NOW. Good luck to you.

existential potential

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:54 pm
@Miklos7,
thanks Miklos. that is part of this problem, I am hardly ever exposed to "novel" experiences. and as for the gloom, that is a large part of my experience at this juncture. however, I do have things to look forward to in the next year, and I think a lot of what I am feeling now is due to the fact that I must wait to act on my plans; its almost like I'm wating to escape purgatory.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 03:07 pm
find something or someone you love, do more of it/them.
existential potential

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 03:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
I love music, reading, film, and I have friends, but doing more of these things does not help; listening to music all day will not help.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 03:22 pm
@existential potential,
have you tried moving to the creative side....learning a new instrument or composing, writing? Do you have a lover, tried sex?

maybe you need a new love.... something will get your motor running, just need to find it.
existential potential

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
unfortunately, you are on the right lines.
0 Replies