Happiness is in the Moral Aspects of Life

Warraq

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 08:48 am

If you attach your happiness with material things like a house, food, travel or wealth…etc, or with something semi-material like the number of friends, then be sure that boredom will chase you. However, people who are more attentive to the spiritual and psychological life don’t feel bored even if their material situation is less than others. We see the mystic or worshiper stays many years in the temple and doesn't feel bored.

They who live life focusing on moral aspects like thinking, analyzing, innovating, feelings and emotions are less bored than those who live on the visual and material aspects only, because matter offers nothing by itself. If you cleaned a room and arranged it well what will take place in it that worth all the effort? The human is the most important and his/her spirit is more important than his/her body.

For example, the Western material civilization is plagued by boredom, addictions and even suicide, which you won’t find in underdeveloped countries in the same high rate. The reason is that they are soaked with material things. They have money, and some have servants, and freedoms which they thought that its absence was the cause of their unhappiness. So, all relations and connections have been broken in the name of freedom, and a person can do whatever s/he wants, sleeps with whoever s/he wants and expresses whatever s/he wants, and yet boredom keeps following them.

Generally speaking, boredom is bliss, because it urges man to seek and do the best. The normal materialist social situation once looked attractive because of its ambiguity, but after they reached it and unraveled its mystery they found nothing real and true in it. However, who deals with the constant, i.e. God, will never reach a dead end, because man can’t encircle God, thus will never be bored because s/he lives the permanent sweetness and pleasure of faith.

The first step to cure boredom is to stop seeking material objects and turn to mental and emotional realms, thus breaking the boundaries between you and yourself, by attempting to speak, think and concern yourself with these new interests until the old interests grow weaker. Gradually, one will arrive to a level in which she can be in one place for a long time and yet doesn’t feel bored. It’s true that the place is one, but the ideas are constantly renewed.

We see that people who are uninterested in the moral and spiritual aspects in an ongoing search for new things, changing clothes, fashions and places, because they are concerned mainly with matter.

On the contrary, if there were a group of philosophers, you’ll find them going around the whole world without changing their place. Meanwhile, you see people going to tourists attractions but see nothing important unless it’s especially noticeable, and you’ll find them getting bored of it and won't not come again. But who can taste mental and intellectual pleasures might stop at one landmark reflecting upon it and studying it for years, as one philosopher said that he's willing to spend the rest of his life in the back of his garden. Because he thinks and meditates and observes the roses and insects, while one glance from a shallow person to this garden will make him feel bored and won’t look at it again.

Change is a spiritual motive, but the mind translates this emotional need falsely, connecting the feeling of boredom with a material object and then goes looking for that thing and tires himself for it, and might not be able to reach it. "Those whose efforts have been wasted in this life while they thought that they were doing things correctly!" (the Quran).
Man’s soul is looking for tranquility, and that’s what the believer in God feels even if they don’t do many things. The believer can control their acts unlike the materialist person who feels pushed to do things and work. The believer doesn’t do a thing unless they feel it’s suitable, because they are basically passive, due to their tranquility and satisfaction with what God has destined, and they only do what they can. The tranquil self is the opposite of the anxious self which is always looking for something, whenever it goes somewhere it feels bored and wants to go somewhere else. While the self that has reached faith has found calmness and homeostasis.

Physical pains can be forgotten, unlike psychological pains. Even moments of joy are forgotten because joy is man’s default state. When people talk about calamities they address them in a material perspective as in lack of food or electricity, but if you look carefully into the real cause that tires them you’ll find it to be a psychological one. If they were filled with love and confidence many things will feel a lot easier and they’ll be more capable of being patient.

People insist that matter is everything, so when they meet you they ask about the house, job, and money as if your happiness only lies in material things. That is a false test of happiness. Because there can be people living in the midst of comfort and wealth but they feel miserable because of boredom, losing someone they love, or feeling psychologically restrained. We see people who belong to the wealthiest class in the world but matter added nothing to them, and people who are materially less fortunate and yet they live more happily.

Every person is actually two persons, the first aspires to reach the second, and the more you get close to the second the more happy you are, the more you move away from it the more lost you become, because it owns the first. The first is terrestrial and the other is celestial.

[/size]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,264 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 08:02 pm
@Warraq,
I do feel that virtue is its own reward and evil is its own punishment.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 08:53 pm
@JLNobody,
I think one person's Moral is a cry in want.
Others may differ.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 08:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi, good to hear from you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 09:00 pm
@JLNobody,
You too, kid.
0 Replies

imans

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:31 am
@Warraq,
u can never reach ur goal, as it shows even if u r truly happy with urself life, else will come to ruin it for sure
that is why only who accept to deal with else in concept and fact are the right to b supported always for any goal or wills

logically there are from my perspective another alternative to the issue u r pointing, when it is not my issue and i can see smthg else to say then there is many else ways till it would b proven that u r a liar for wrong ways

for u since u exist if u manage to b the happy u while havin connection with happiness source then u got it all u there
but unfortunately it is not what is there, and actually it is nothing at all what u r there
so it cant work
even that is only u but still u is nothing so meanin ur happiness is smthg else that will destroy ur will

now u can believe in evil superiority like many but u have to then b monster and accept the living dream in concept while u would b constantly lying with masks and hide more, a lot choose that for being true evil living but this cant b happiness of getting any when it is about being u and while u is such unproductive one
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:12 pm
@Warraq,
Women, playing poker and drinking good Scotch make me happy.

Does this mean these are moral aspects of my life?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:28 pm
Trouble is: too many of us try to raise ourselves on the moral ladder in order to enjoy the pleasure of looking down on others.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 04:30 pm
@JLNobody,
I feel that vice is its own reward and virtue is its own punishment. If virtue was a reward, then what is the purpose of the promise of a future paradise?
JLNobody

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 02:18 pm
@maxdancona,
That's funny. But I really can't image selfish individuals finding much joy in life, but I can see how a compassionate person would. Note that I am not equating happiness with sensual pleasure; it has more to do with something like the joy of loving sentiments and aesthetic experiences. And I am not equating the compassion that results in ethical behavior with a simple obedience regarding moral rules.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 09:07 pm
@JLNobody,
What you are saying are the kind of things that make great Hallmark cards, but don't reflect real life.

There is great joy in sensual pleasure (which is why they call it "pleasure"). There is also great joy to be had in accomplishing something challenging or creating something beautiful to you. A really nice bottle of scotch, or an evening with a beautiful woman, or a great night at a poker table all make me quite happy.

It is all fine and good to look down on people who don't meet your standards of virtue. But to claim that they aren't happy is clearly wishful thinking on your part.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:19 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't want to minimize the value of sensual pleasure. But you and I mean different things by joy. By the way, I've been selling Hallmark short; thanks for bringing that to my attention.
BTW, who is looking down on people who suffer from selfishness? I would appreciate it if you would reexamine my last two posts.
0 Replies