Did we ever really land on the moon?

Setanta

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:19 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
You do know that we had have men and women in orbit for 6 months or so already?

And that is precisely why we know what the effects of prolonged exposure to low gravity does to the body.

Once again, at no time have i stated that we cannot set up settlements on Mars. For once, why don't you try discussing precisely what i have written, as opposed to the self-serving bullshit you attribute to me?
Setanta

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:32 am
Since Bill keeps whining about expertise, i found a little something to amsue him.

For a very reasonable discussion of the cost factor of colonizing space, or even simply "strip mining" the Moon and the Asteroid belt, try reading The Dream Palace of the Space Cadets, at the "Space Daily" web site. The author, Jeffrey Bell, has a BS from the University of Michigan, and a PhD from the University of Hawaii. His doctoral dissertation was entitled: "A Search for Ultraprimitive Material in the Solar System." He was formerly an employee of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and now describes himself as a "recovering pro-space activist."

Bell is highly critical of NASA's manned flight projects. For obvious reasons, he's not very popular with the "Gee whiz, when we get into space . . ." crowd.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

II am sure that you view Intrepdi as someone with a better grasp then I have as he does agree with you. I will be waiting for the experts and their studies that you will shortly be posting that also agree with you that a settlement can not be set up on Mars.

FYI, Bill. Setanta and I rarely agree on much of anything. In fact, we have disagreed much more strongly that you have.

Setanta says what he thinks and does not give a damn who may or may not like it. Me included. He does, however, have a grasp on most things that he writes about. Even if he does not have the most delicate way of saying it.

So, if Setanta says that I have a better grasp than you it is because that is his view and not because he likes me. He does not. I would, however, probably enjoy sitting down with Set for a beer.
Intrepid

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:43 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Not that my observation is correct, but it seems like this thread has not attracted those posters that are on the other side of the pond? Is space really a U.S. domain (no Russian posters, I guess?) for A2K? Perhaps, less interest in space by the European/other continent posters?

I am Canadian Wink
Foofie

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:57 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Not that my observation is correct, but it seems like this thread has not attracted those posters that are on the other side of the pond? Is space really a U.S. domain (no Russian posters, I guess?) for A2K? Perhaps, less interest in space by the European/other continent posters?

I am Canadian Wink

Take a wrong turn and you would be in the U.S.

Not to offend you, but Canada might just be the freezer compartment for the U.S., if the U.S. was a refrigerator. If we run out of Americans, we possibly could get more Americans from the freezer. No discernible accent; totally aware of the U.S. popular culture. Canada might be part of the Commonwealth, but they are not Brits. Perhaps, they are just more out-doorsy Americans that were loyal to Britain at the time of the American Revolution?
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm
@Setanta,
All the problems you had pointed out are minor problems that have many cheap solutions.

Bone loss in zero g is far less of a problem for example then scurvy was to sailors with the onset of serious problems from lack of C starting in a few months.

Bone loss is not a real problem as you can always if need be spin the ships or ships and medication to reduce bone loss is a far more likely path then even a simple engineering fix of spinning.

Rad. shielding is also very cheap to do.

Is sending men to Mars gong to be cheap hell no, not in money or lives lost in one manner or another, still it compare well with the cost of sending out sailing ships on long journeys.

With all the problems and cost the sailings ships did go out on years long voyages and we are all far better for it that they did so.

BillRM

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:07 pm
@Intrepid,
You agree with him on this thread therefore you have a better grasp then I do on the subject at hand. would seem to be his logic.

This is a dishonest and silly thing for him to say as you may be far greater expert on other subjects/tropies then I am but not on this one.
BillRM

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:18 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England have a long and proud history concerning promoting interplanetary travel.

Author C Clark was the one who got me interested in the subject long before any man reach earth orbit and the British Interplanetary Society have a long and proud history.
Setanta

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:15 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
I would, however, probably enjoy sitting down with Set for a beer.

Sorry, Boss, but i don't take strong drink . . . and i only take christians in small doses.
Setanta

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:23 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
All the problems you had pointed out are minor problems that have many cheap solutions.

Bullshit . . . and that's the whole point of everything i've been writing, Genius (sarcasm alert for the irony challenged). Who are you gonna get to pay for your fantasies? Last time i checked, the United States was a democratic republic, not a totalitarian command economy.

Your grasp of history is no better (probably worse) than your grasp of science. The navigators of the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries were motivated by capitalist hopes of profit, and either their expeditions found useful wealth, or opened the way to find it in other parts of the world. Just what do you propose you are going to offer on Mars for a profit which will justify the expense?

Did you read the link to Jeffrey Bell's article? I suspect you didn't. You should, then you will have an "expert" with whom to argue--he says none of this will be cheap, and that extreme low gravity is a significant problem, not cheaply or easily overcome. He has a PhD to back up what he writes. What is your PhD in, Bill?

I'm pretty sure of one thing, though--if you really do have a PhD (which i doubt) it certainly cannot be in either English or creative writing.
msolga

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:25 pm
@Setanta,
Oh I am never going to get into an online argument with you, doggy person!

You're like a dog(gy person) with a bone!
You never give up! Wink Laughing
Setanta

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:28 pm
@msolga,
I don't pick no fights with witches . . . Ukrainian or otherwise . . .
msolga

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:31 pm
@Setanta,
This is so good to know, Set.

Phew!

You're scary!!! Wink

Laughing

0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:32 pm
And you're very cute, Miss Oz . . .

Happy Christmas and a very Merry New Year . . .
msolga

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:34 pm
@Setanta,
Aw, that's nice!

I hope you & yours have a good one, too, Setanta. Smile
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 04:31 pm
@Setanta,
Lord what the hell are we going to gain by having access to the whole resources of our solar system that Mars trips would be just a start of and the mean to start learning the technology needed?

You got to be kidding me not even you can be that short sighted or stupid.

**********************************************************************************************************
Yes my stupid friend I agree with you that the first few trips to Mars is not gong to paid for themselves in any coin but knowledge but the foundation of the technology those trips will help to created will.
***********************************************************************************************************

Getting the human race into a position where when the next happening that will cause a great die off of animal life on earth to occur, it will not mean the end of the human race would be worth any likely cost of learning to live and work in space by itself.

In the mean time having all the power and metals and manufacturing ETC that a high tech society need off planet where it will do no harm would also be nice.

Is it not strange that it is the commonsense Chinese’s are now spending large sums to grain the access to space if that access is as worthless as you are claiming it is.

Planning not just low orbit access but trips to the moon and beyond as a matter of fact.

We stop our billions dollars program for the next super collider and fill in the tunnels that was dug for it, as it will never pay for itself kind of stupid thinking.

Thank god for the benefit of the human race the Europeans did not feel that way and their new billions of dollars super collider is about to allow us greater understanding of our universe.

If our culture allow your way of thinking to limit us the future will belong to others societies.

Intrepid

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 09:02 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You agree with him on this thread therefore you have a better grasp then I do on the subject at hand. would seem to be his logic.

This is a dishonest and silly thing for him to say as you may be far greater expert on other subjects/tropies then I am but not on this one.

That you have a good grasp of the subject matter on this one is a figment of your fertile imagination. The only reason that Setanta and I agree on this thread is that he is correct and you are grasping at straws. I think that most people have a better grasp of this subject and from reading you on other threads...on most subjects that you involve yourself in.

Actually, you are both commenting on a topic that is not even the subject of this thread.

Your constant use of the words stupid and silly certainly do not put you into any known intellectual category.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 24 Dec, 2008 09:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I would, however, probably enjoy sitting down with Set for a beer.

Sorry, Boss, but i don't take strong drink . . . and i only take christians in small doses.

Pity Smile

Let me take this opportunity to wish you and lady beth a very Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays if you prefer) and to everyone else as well.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 02:23 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

So you idiots think that the government would launch rockets
the size of WW2 destroyers somehow empty to fool the public and could
get away with it with thousands that would be in the know.

A task a few thousands times harder then sending the men
to the moon in the first place.

Let see the radio hams that hear the broadcasts from the spaceships
directly would need to be in it also, along with the scientists
that claim they bounce laser beams off mirrors place on the moon
during the missions. Oh foreign governments that track our ships
journey and the radio traffic along with the radio hams would had have to go along.

The scientists that examine the moon rocks and on and on and on we go.

How damn stupid are you people?

There is no room for doubt
that America did in fact land on the Moon,
but the truth of that fact is not affected by whether
their were idiots among those who observed the launch.
U shoud know that.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 25 Dec, 2008 07:20 am
@Intrepid,
Thank you, that is very kind. I hope that you and your wife and your children will have a joyous occasion . . . perhaps someday we'll sit down for a cup of coffee . . .