Illinois Governor Arrested

okie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:38 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Dude, that obsession will outlast this particular president-elect's administration (s). That obsession is deep, and uglier than reason can reach.

snood, you are the man obsessed, obsessed with race, I am not. I am obsessed with having a president that agrees with my political beliefs, and Obama does not in much of anything. And if he turns out to be more corrupt than previously regarded, then would you care? I think it should be encumbent upon you to care about that?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:39 am
@okie,
See above.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:45 am
Can you impeach a president before he is inaugurated? I am not trying to be funny. Political students, if Obama is nailed with corruption here, has something like this ever happened before? Would the Democrat VP take over? Would the existing president stay for a while? What happens?
maporsche

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:46 am
@okie,
The electorial college hasn't voted yet, so they could always not vote him in if something happened.

Once they vote though, I'm not sure.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 11:52 am
@okie,
God, you folks just won't give up, will you? You must be absolutely traumatized. You can't admit to yourselves that it's over. Barak Obama of Illinois is the President-elect of the United States. And, barring something as yet unfroseen, will be inaugurated and will remain president for at least four years. Get over it. Have something cold to drink. Take a brisk walk. But stop obsessing.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Amen, though admittedly I was, all election season, looking forward to enjoying the far-right desperation on this site. But now it's just boring.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:11 pm
Quote:
Obama calls for Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich to resign
(The Associated Press, December 10, 2008)

President-elect Barack Obama called for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to resign on Wednesday, hours after the embattled governor reported for work amid charges he plotted to sell Obama's vacant Senate seat.

Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said the president-elect agrees with other prominent politicians in Illinois and elsewhere that "under the current circumstances, it is difficult for the governor to effectively do his job and serve the people of Illinois."

Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday, accused of scheming to enrich himself by selling Obama's open seat for cash or a lucrative job for himself. The governor has authority to appoint the replacement.

In response to questions from The Associated Press, Gibbs said Obama believes the Illinois legislature should consider a special election to fill the seat.

Blagojevich is out on bond and has denied any wrongdoing.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:14 pm
ohh..news flash..The Gov. has been let out of jail. And, adding a bizarre twist it's his 52 nd birthday.

The more you read of this man's words and deeds, the scarier he and this situation is. How did this man EVER get elected? He's been nuts for awhile. He's talking about now, as acting Gov., of appointing himself to that Senate position. Oh and quite a few (3) former Ill Gov (over last 35 yrs) as well as legislators have been convicted ciminals.
JPB

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:15 pm
@Ragman,
His opponent would have been worse. And, he's been talking about appointing himself for quite a while. It's the best way to avoid impeachment and be employed for a couple more years.

Of course, once (if?) he's convicted he'll be bounced from the Senate as a convicted felon but this would give him a year or two of gainful (hah) employment.
Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:25 pm
@JPB,
You know the more I hear about the level and pervasiveness of this sort of corruption, the more I think there should be a revolution. Sorry if that sounds a bit radical...or is it radical ENOUGH? When you take this scenario into consideration and the Detroit Big 3 automakers with their hands in taxpayers pockets to bail out their incometence and arrogance ..and soon will be rewarded, but no definitive help for the troubled home-owners who are losing their homes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:29 pm
I thought he posted a $4,500 bail, and was not taken to jail, so "arrested" in this case doesn't mean much.
okie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

God, you folks just won't give up, will you? You must be absolutely traumatized. You can't admit to yourselves that it's over. Barak Obama of Illinois is the President-elect of the United States. And, barring something as yet unfroseen, will be inaugurated and will remain president for at least four years. Get over it. Have something cold to drink. Take a brisk walk. But stop obsessing.

Obama probably will be inaugurated, I would give it 99% certainty, but in light of what has happened here, I do not believe the questions are out of bounds. I guess I do not believe in Obama like all of you apparently do, I am not at all convinced that he is above any of this, considering he is a Chicago politician. All of you seem so shocked at the governor, I am not, and you could be just as shocked at any politician, including Obama. He has never appeared as that credible to me, though he can apparently do no wrong according to many of his supporters.

Look, I don't know if he has guilt with trying to arrange the Senate seat with favors, but I think it is a distinct possibility, something that should be looked into. People have made contradictory statements about it from the Obama camp. I would find it surprising if Obama was that dumb, but who knows these days? Nothing would surprise me that much in politics.
JPB

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:35 pm
@okie,
No, okie, all of us aren't shocked. We had the IL equivalent of a Bush-Kerry election here where no decision was a good decision. There are many here who expected just such an outcome. Rod is the democratic governor and even the dems don't like him. He's a product of the machine whereas Obama, if anything, used the machine rather than become part of it.
blueflame1

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:53 pm
Senate Candidate 5 In Blagojevich Indictment: Who Is It?
Huffington Post | Nicholas Sabloff | December 9, 2008 03:37 PM

***UPDATE*** 12/10

The Chicago Sun-Times is also reporting that Jesse Jackson, Jr. is "Senate Candidate #5," according to sources.

ABC News' Brian Ross is reporting that Jesse Jackson, Jr. is "Senate Candidate #5" in the Blagojevich indictment:

Chicago Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL) is the anonymous "Senate Candidate #5" whose emissaries Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich reportedly claimed offered up to a million dollars to name him to the U.S. Senate, federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News. [...]

Jackson Jr. said this morning he was contacted yesterday by federal prosecutors in Chicago who he said "asked me to come in and share with them my insights and thoughts about the selection process."

Jackson Jr. said "I don't know" when asked if he was Candidate #5, but said he was told "I am not a target of this investigation."

Jackson Jr. said he agreed to talk with federal investigators "as quickly as possible" after he consults with a lawyer.

The Congressman, a son of the famed civil rights leader, denied that anyone had been authorized to make payments or promises to the Governor on his behalf.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm
@okie,
Joe Biden would be president. I'm okay with that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:02 pm
@blueflame1,
Jesse Jackson Jr. is a rare bird - he actually knows who his father is.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
no -- he was released on a signature bond.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:15 pm
@blueflame1,
I was wondering about that...
okie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:18 pm
@JPB,
I also find it a bit far fetched to believe that Obama had no interest whatever in who the governor appointed. So if the governor insisted on money, and Obama had a stake in this, he then becomes a part of the machine, not simply using the machine.

Now if the governor simply acted on his own, the seat is up to the highest bidder, and Obama is completely hands off, Obama is clear. But I think Obama would care about who was appointed, and might still need to say yes the pick?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:32 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
And, barring something as yet unfroseen...

Implication in this scandal for example?

I don't think he will be, but get a grip Merry, speculating on what might happen if he were is hardly a sign of PTSD. Is this going to be your reaction from now on to anything negative written about Obama?

"Bitter, desperate, racists!"

It is an interesting question and I think maporche has hit in on the head.

Let's assume, for the sake of interesting discussion and not bitter wish fulfillment, that this scandal were to expand and implicate Obama.

What would happen?

If you prefer not to risk jinxing Obama, consider the question as totally hypothetical (with the hypothetical crooked president-elect being Republican, lily white and from Alabama!)