Illinois Governor Arrested

genoves

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:53 pm
@wandeljw,
Yes, I do post some of my posts again. I post them because I do not know whether those who do not agree with the substance of my posts are unready to try to rebut the substance. They may, of course, ignore the post, in which case it stands unrebutted to be read by those who are not afraid of showing SPECIFICALLY how the post is incorrect.

There are many superficial posters on these threads, who, when faced with facts that disturb their ideology, can only respond with a one or two liner and like an adolescent say --It is not--It is not--It is not.

There are others who may have not seen my post yet. It is for their convenience that I repost it.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 02:59 pm
Don't be afraid, wandeljw- Try to rebut the following--

It is clear that Ayres was the co-founder of the Weathermen Underground which had bombed a dozen buildings including the Pentagon, the US Capitol and various police stations. In an interview on sept. 11, 2001- Ayres said he wished he had set more bombs.

But advocate must have missed the rest of my post--

O is clean? Of course, he is clean. Here in Illinois, where he is well known, everyone who ever played Basketball with him knows that he showers after every B Ball workout.

But, his relationships with the sleaziest of characters is suspect.

l. He obviously slept through all of Reverend Wright's sermons each week for twenty years since he never heard any of Wright's blasohemies against the USA or the eviul doctors who created AIDS to committ genocide against black people.

2. He got a big break on the price he paid for his Chicago mansion. But, there was no impropriety involved! Even though the man who wheeled and dealed for Obama bought a piece of property adjacent to Obama's mansion which lowever the price. The man who did it? Why Anton Rezko,jailed political fixer who introduced Obama to many in Chicago after Obama graduated from Harvard Law School. But, of course,if Obama knew Rezko was crooked, he never never never would have had anything to do with him.

3.Obama was a strong backer of the impeached Gov.Blagojevich during his tenure as a Senator and as a state legislator. Of course, as brilliant as Obama is,he had no idea that Blogojevich was involved in Play for Pay for years.

Oh,no. If the highly moral Obama had known about that he would have blown the whistle--That's how moral Obama is. But he did not know!

He may be clean after the Basketball games but politically he really is dirty!
Advocate

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 03:28 pm
@genoves,
OK, you win. O is suspect. But isn't everyone suspect? So far, no one has laid a glove on O. Sarah did her best to blacken his character, but only succeeded in hurting herself.
genoves

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 03:36 pm
@Advocate,
I admire your forthrightness, Advocate. I think your point is well taken. Isn't everyone suspect, you say? Probably. It may be that the points I made which find Obama SUSPECT, as you say, will vanish like the famous investigation concerning George W.Bush and his National Guard flying duties. I am sure you remember that.

Now, I hold that the data concering Obama and Ayres; the data concerning Obama and Rezko; the data concerning Obama and the impeached ex-governor of Illinois, must be addressed and REBUTTED so thoroughly that it will be consigned tot he same place as the erroneous charges about Bush's National Guard service.

Rezko is still awaiting sentencing, as you may know. The Federal Attorney has not released all of the numerous tape recording done for the past five years involving the top politicians in Illinos.

Who knows what will be found on those tapes?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 03:56 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

OK, you win. O is suspect. But isn't everyone suspect? So far, no one has laid a glove on O. Sarah did her best to blacken his character, but only succeeded in hurting herself.

Advocate, I finally agree with something Jesse Jackson has said. He said when Obama is president, the zionists will finally lose their clout in U. S. Policy. Translation, Obama will turn his back on Israel, in favor of Palestinian terrorists.
Advocate

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:05 pm
@okie,
I disagree. He is a very bright guy, who will quickly learn of the huge bang for every buck given to Israel.
okie

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 04:17 pm
@Advocate,
His sympathies are not with Israel, Advocate, and I am surprised you don't see this. It seems like a pretty obvious read of his personality and political leanings. I realize he is not an open person, you cannot take what he says to the bank, you have to look at what he does. You shall see. I hate to tell you, but just wait.

Example, he campaigned on fiscal responsibility, and the man has gone whacko with projected budgets. It is fiscal insanity he and his party are now engaged in. One month in office and this is just the tip of the iceberg.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:02 pm
Fitzgerald investigation continues to percolate, now Alderman Isaac Carothers is in the hot seat.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1436367,CST-NWS-ike18.article
genoves

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:36 am
@okie,
Okie- Just wait until Fitzgerald releases the tapes about Anton Rezko, the convicted political fixer. Why? Obama was in his lap for years. But I am sure that the very intelligent(they say) very politically sophisticated( they say) and socially aware( they say) Obama will say, when a tape mentioning him and Rezko surfaces--THAT IS NOT THE RESKO I KNEW(He has used this phrase frequently--whenever someone he has used gets into serious trouble--Obama pleads ignorance. But,Okie- Note---

Here is what the liar said in an interview. He doubletalks more than Slick Willie and anybody that beleives his garbage is really naive. Read his pitiful excuses:

The Obama Chronicles: Waukegan interview transcript. On Rezko, mistakes and being held to a high standard.
By Lynn Sweeton November 7, 2006 8:51 AM | Permalink | Comments (7)
After a month long blitz--selling his new book, stumping for Democrats, testing the water for a 2008 presidential run, Sen. Barack Obama on Monday traveled to Waukegan, Ill. to stump for a House candidate. He found himself answering questions about a real estate deal he made with a local shady developer named Tony Rezko. Rezko was recently indicted on corruption charges.

Obama, on the road to the White House, will have to run in the primary of public perception, just like his rivals and the Rezko episode is at the least a learning experience for him.

Obama, in a session with local reporters said "I'm human like everybody else and I'm going to make mistakes."

click below for excerpt of the question and answer session at the Waukegan airport.
(for full background read Sunday's Sun-Times story by Chris Fusco, Dave McKinney and Mark Brown at
(http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/124189,obama05.article)

excerpts from the Waukegan question and answer session. ....

What in the world were you doing in a real estate deal with Tony Rezko?

Look, I bought a house. He bought a piece of property next to the house, and that transaction was entirely separate. But what is true is I purchased a 10-foot strip alongside that property from him, and although I paid more than the appraised value of the house, I think it's fair to say that, given some of the issues that were going on with him, it certainly raised the kinds of appearances that I should have been mindful of.

Why'd you do it then?

For the last 10 years, I think people who have worked with me know that I try to maintain the highest standards in how I deal in my personal and public lives. I don't accept lunches with lobbyists. If I play golf with somebody I reimburse them. In this situation, my focus was more on making sure I was paying a fair market price and not thinking through sort of how it potentially would appear. As I said in the newspaper it was a mistake. Not one of my smarter moves.

Did you recruit Tony becuase you needed him. . . . It sounded like you were only going to get (your house) if you had somebody buying the other lot?

No, no, no. I didn't recruit Tony. What happened was I saw this house. . . . We went through our real estate broker. And We put in a bid on the house the way any other purchaser would. The adjoining lot., there was already a bid on that lot. The sellers were the ones who had separated them, and Mr. Rezko became interested in that other lot, and he bid for that lot separately and negotiated with the seller separately.

Did you pay $300,000 less because of connections or clout, or anything Rezko did?

No. Nothing at all related to the purchase of my house involved Rezko. . . . The adjoining lot had already gotten an offer for the list price, which was 600-something-thousand. So the seller already had that in hand. The problem was they needed to sell the house. They were moving, and, so, this was to some degree a fire sale situation for them. They had gotten a new job. They were moving to Maryland. And so they needed to sell the house. That's the reason, as is true in any real estate market, if somebody needs to sell then you've got a little more leverage over them.

So there was no involvement with Rezko in the purchase of the house. . . .

Q: How did it happen that Tony just so bought the lot next to your home?

What happened was . . . Rezko's been a longtime developer in Kenwood. He's got property all across the Kenwood area. When the house came on the market, I asked a number of people about the house because I've never bought a house. I'd owned a condo. And I called a number of friends -- four or five friends -- who either had homes in Kenwood or were familiar with development in Kenwood. Rezko was one of those people. It turned out that the person who had renovated the house which I was interested in purchasing had worked with Rezko in the past, so that was the connection. He [Rezko] ended up looking at the property and became interested in it. But as I said it was negotiated entirely separately. It wasn't something that we were coordinating in any sort of fashion.

The reason we ended up having the same closing date -- that was actually a requirement of the sellers' because the seller was trying to . . . they had conditioned the sale of one lot on the sale of the house.

What do you say to people that your judgment is faulty?

I'm human like everybody else and I'm going to make mistakes. One of the things that I've prided myself on is when I make a mistake, I own up to it. . . . Although I made a mistake in terms of not being attentive to appearances, in terms of the actual transactions themselves, there was no quid pro quo, there was no clout involved. . . . The problem here was you had somebody who was doing state business, who had been a contributor of mine. While I paid more than the appraised value, it's understandable people . . .

Did you know he was under investigation at that point?

Obviously, things had surfaced. But this is somebody I had known for quite some time. He had never asked me for anything. I'd never done anything for him. We had never discussed government issues. But, look, I think it's fair to hold me to a higher standard. And I understand, at this point, I have been in the public eye quite a bit. I'm somebody who's taken the lead both in Springfield and at the federal level on ethics issues, and I think it's entirely appropriate for folks to expect more. . . .

Was the person you were bidding against for your property the same person Rezko was bidding against?

No. No.

How do you know that?

Well, I don't know it for certain, but I don't think so because my broker did not indicate they were the same party.

So there's no way -- either directly or indirectly -- that you knew how much money Tony was offering for his property?

I had no idea whatsoever.

Did you coordinate your bids?

No.

Why did Tony end up paying full price if it were such a fire sale?

There were two separate lots. [On the first lot], there was already a bid for the full price. They already had a bid on the table for that full price.

What have you learned from this?

One of the things that I've always prided on myself is the fact that I have never had any questions about my integrity and how I conduct myself in public office. . . . This is the first time this has happened, and I don't like the feeling. It's frustrating to me, and I'm kicking myself about it. But, as I said, look, I'm going to make some mistakes every once in a while. These aren't mistakes that involve the public trust. They aren't mistakes that involved my responsibilities in terms of representing my constituents. But, one of the things you purchase when you enter into public life is there are going to be a different set of standards, and I'm going to make sure from this point on I don't even come close to the line.

Will this come back to haunt you?

I'm in politics, so anytime you make an error that's something that somebody will be sure to remind you of in the future. And I don't think that's illegitimate. You have to be held accountable for what you do. . . . What I assume is in any election, people look at you in the whole. . . . Here's one time where it appears that he didn't pay enough attention to what the situation was, but hopefully people will judge me on my entire record. And I'm very confident that when they do that, they'll end up feeling I'm somebody they can trust.

Will your groundsman keep cutting the lawn?

. . . . We don't know exactly who is making decisions on behalf of the various properties that are involved. We've talked to the property manager that we have been communicating with, and we just want to make sure of is everything is as separate as possible.

So you're not going to mow his lawn anymore?

No. Here's the problem: the lawn is right next to our house, so I want to make sure somebody mows it. Originally, their intention, as I understand it, was to develop townhomes. They've got to get some sort of curb cut. . . . Right now, they don't have an entry. . . . I could seal off the fence and have people climb over with the lawnmower, but that's probably not . . .

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:42 am
Okie- Here's another one where Obama lied
Obama's name in Rezko trial
FEDERAL COURT | Levine says senator attended bash for Iraqi billionaire

April 15, 2008

BY NATASHA KORECKI, CHRIS FUSCO AND TIM NOVAK Staff Reporters
Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama was again drawn into Tony Rezko's corruption trial on Monday, when the prosecution's star witness placed Obama at a party for an Iraqi-born billionaire who was later barred entry to the United States.

Stuart Levine testified under cross-examination that Obama and his wife, Michelle, attended the April 3, 2004, reception for Nadhmi Auchi.

» Click to enlarge image

The government's star witness testified Monday that Sen. Barack Obama (left) attended a party four years ago at the home of Antoin ''Tony'' Rezko (top right) that was held to honor Iraqi-born Nadhmi Auchi (bottom right).
(AP/Sun-Times files)

RELATED STORIES
Rezko's billionaire buddy
Gov's fundraiser got loan from Iraqi billionaire
Obama's answers about Auchi from a March 14 Sun-Times interview
Eye on Rezko Updates from our blog

An Obama connection?
News reports and now court testimony have linked presidential hopeful Barack Obama with Iraqi-born billionaire Nadhmi Auchi through Tony Rezko. Here's a rundown:
March 11, 2004 -- Obama met Middle Eastern bankers at the Four Seasons hotel in Chicago at a reception hosted by Rezko, who was courting potential investors for a 62-acre South Loop development. Auchi later took control of that project but did not attend, sources say.

April 1, 2004 -- Auchi flew in to Midway Airport on a private plane and attended a Four Seasons reception hosted by Gov. Blagojevich. Rezko planned the event and was there. Obama was not.

April 3, 2004 -- Auchi attended a dinner party at Rezko's Wilmette mansion. Obama and his wife, Michelle, also were there, according to testimony Monday at Rezko's corruption trial. The Obama campaign's response: "Senator and Mrs. Obama have no recollection of attending any such event."

Oct. 11, 2006 -- Charges against Rezko announced.

Jan. 28, 2008 -- Rezko was jailed for withholding details of his finances -- including a $3.5 million payment from an Auchi company in April 2007.
Auchi -- who lives in London -- had been convicted of fraud in France in 2003. After visiting Chicago and Detroit in 2004, he wasn't allowed back into this country in 2005, according to a prosecution filing in the Rezko case.

The April 3, 2004, gathering for Auchi took place at Rezko's mansion in Wilmette, with about 100 people attending, Levine testified.

"Mr. and Mrs. Obama were there, were they not?" Rezko's lawyer, Joseph Duffy, asked.

"Yes, sir," Levine said.

Later Monday, Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt said: "As he has said previously, Senator Obama does not recall meeting Nadhmi Auchi at any time or on any occasion, and this includes any event that may have been held for Mr. Auchi. Senator and Mrs. Obama have no recollection of attending any such event."

But according to two sources familiar with the gathering, the Obamas attended the Wilmette reception, which came less than a month after Obama's Democratic primary win for his U.S. Senate seat. Rezko had been a key fund-raiser for Obama, who has since given to charity nearly $160,000 in Rezko-linked contributions.

Levine testified he was invited to the reception after meeting with Rezko and his family days earlier, during a spring vacation in Puerto Vallarta.

Auchi couldn't be reached Monday. His lawyer, Alasdair Pepper, told the Sun-Times in February his client "has no recollection of meeting Senator Obama." Auchi is appealing his French conviction. His 15-month sentence is suspended as long as he commits no new crimes. He is not accused of wrongdoing involving Rezko.

Obama is not accused of any wrongdoing. But his relationship with Rezko -- who is accused of demanding kickbacks from people seeking Illinois government business -- is under a microscope as he seeks the presidency. Obama particularly has drawn fire for buying property from Rezko's wife -- a strip of land adjacent to Obama's Kenwood home -- at a time Rezko was already known to be under federal investigation.

Levine testified Rezko had to leave Mexico early to host Auchi. So Levine chartered a private jet to fly Rezko's wife and children -- as well as his own family -- back to Chicago on April 3, 2004.

That night, Levine testified, he attended the reception, which was arranged to interest Auchi in investing in Illinois.

Gov. Blagojevich hosted a separate dinner party for Auchi two days earlier, at the Four Seasons hotel in downtown Chicago, the Sun-Times has reported.

Auchi was named by prosecutors in the January court filing that led to Rezko's bail being revoked and his being jailed. Last April, an Auchi company wired Rezko $3.5 million in connection with a valuable 62-acre South Loop site, which Rezko didn't disclose to authorities. Auchi's General Mediterranean Holding now controls the land at Roosevelt and Clark.

Prosecutors said Rezko appealed to the State Department in November 2005 to allow Auchi to enter the United States, after Auchi was unable to do so.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:57 am
Okie-Check this one out--

We also did some research to check out a GOP claim that “Obama has maintained a friendship with a now convicted felon.”

There is no question Rezko was a longtime friend of Obama’s. In his interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Obama detailed a relationship that dated back to when Obama was finishing law school at Harvard and Rezko approached him about coming to work for his development company. Obama declined.

Obama got to know Rezko, he said, when his law work overlapped occasionally with Rezko’s development business. But the two became friends when Obama made his first run for Illinois state Senate. Rezko was a key supporter and fundraiser for Obama.

“So we became friendly at that point, and through most of my years in the Senate, he was somebody I considered a friend, and I’d probably see maybe when I wasn’t in the midst of a campaign, I would probably see maybe six times a year,” Obama said. “We’d have lunch or we’d have breakfast.”

Obama and his wife, Michelle, had dinners with Rezko and his wife a couple times, Obama said, and they once visited the Rezkos’ home at Lake Geneva, in Wisconsin, for the day.

When Obama ran for U.S. Senate in 2004, Rezko served on his finance committee and was a significant fundraiser. Rezko even hosted a fundraising event in his home.

In the wake of Rezko’s October 2006 indictment, the Obama campaign took all campaign contributions tied to Rezko " $160,000 as of January 2008 " and donated them to charity. In the March interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Obama said he still considered Rezko a friend, though he had not spoken to him since his indictment. That was October 2006.

In a statement issued after the verdict, Obama said he was “saddened” by Rezko’s conviction. “This isn’t the Tony Rezko I knew,” Obama stated.

Obama said that if elected president, he would not pardon Rezko for his corruption convictions or reduce his prison time. Any implication that Obama actively continues to maintain a friendship with Rezko " getting together, even speaking on the phone " is misleading. But since “maintained a friendship” is a bit ambiguous and the GOP says it only meant that Obama had, in the past, maintained a relationship with Rezko, which he certainly did, we rate the GOP statement Mostly True.

As a political fixer said in Chicago in 1930-"Sure, Al Capone is my friend. Just because he gave me the money to open this club. What's wrong with that?
okie

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:52 pm
@genoves,
The Reverend Wright and Ayers were not the same men he knew either, right?

It is turning out that Obama is a radical, a surprise to some Obama voters. Why would that be surprising, thats who he hung out with.
Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:19 pm
@okie,
O is hardly a radical. However, he knows that, due to the damage done to the economy by the conservatives, as well as their inaction in addressing economic, health, and other problems, radical action must be taken. For instance, he knows that the economy will continue to sink if credit is basically unavailable. He also knows that soaring health costs will sink, or at least hobble, the economy. There is the same problem with energy. Having the balls to address these matters does not make him a radical. It makes him the man of the hour.
okie

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:24 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

O is hardly a radical.

So how come is he paying off Hamas? Just one example.
Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:31 pm
@okie,
Check Snopes. It is a hoax e-mail saying O is paying off Hamas.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:33 pm
@Advocate,
okie's problem is that he never checks out his sources, and he believes misinformation based on innuendos and FOX News.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 12:37 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Check Snopes. It is a hoax e-mail saying O is paying off Hamas.

Come on, Advocate, not directly, but any money in Gaza, where do you think it will end up?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:54 pm
Just reviewing a bit of Chicago and Obama history here, found this interesting to look at again:

"In 2002, Michelle Obama was hired by the University of Chicago Hospital as its "Executive Director for Community Affairs" at a salary of approximately $120,000.

In January of 2005, Barack Obama was sworn in as a United States Senator.

In March of 2005, Michelle Obama was promoted to "Vice President for Community and External Affairs" and her salary bumped nearly $200,000 (from $121,910 to $316,962). This position was "newly created" for Mrs. Obama.

In February of 2006, Barack Obama requested a $1 million earmark for a new hospital pavilion at the University of Chicago.

Effective 9 January 2009, Michelle Obama resigned her position at UCH.

Effective 14 January 2009, Michelle Obama's VP position was eliminated, its functions absorbed into another executive's position. This prompted writer Don Rose to ask "[If] that work can be folded into another guy’s, why was it separate in the first place?"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_orkXxp0bhEA/SXCI12zq5DI/AAAAAAAAPJA/MzNwODsoKMg/s400/090115-michelle-salary3s.jpg
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:49 am
Well, I guess Michele has, by now, resigned her position. I agree that this is pretty disgusting.

I was disgusted by a similar story concerning Reagan. At the time he was first elected, he owned a ranch, which employed a single ranchhand. After the election, the ranchhand was made a GS-15 federal employee (a Transportation Specialist, as I recall), making about $80,000. The job ceased the minute Reagan left office. I always felt this was very disgusting.
okie

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:46 pm
@Advocate,
That is pretty much of a stretch, Advocate, the man was president, and that sounds pretty inexpensive for a staff member to help with the chores. I don't see anything illegal, and even unethical about that, at least it was a real job. I would imagine all presidents have staff at their weekend retreats.