Illinois Governor Arrested

okie

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

They're now mid way through the roll call to vote unanimously that he be barred from ever again holding public office in Ilinois.

I hope this makes Blago mad enough to sing like a canary!
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:49 pm
@okie,
He has only one note to sing. Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Is that a baritone or soprano?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Blagojevich convicted, ousted
Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich was convicted of impeachment charges and removed from office on Thursday, eight weeks after he was arrested on charges of trying to sell the U.S. Senate seat once held by President Barack Obama.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:56 pm
From now on, the politicos will not use the phone, etc., to make deals. They will only make deals in the shower, which would assure that the parties are not wearing wires.

Blago did nothing more than what is done every day all over the country. He went wrong by antagonizing everyone, so Fitz was put onto him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:25 pm
@Advocate,
I agree; and many others are guilty of more serious crimes against the American people.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:53 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

From now on, the politicos will not use the phone, etc., to make deals. They will only make deals in the shower, which would assure that the parties are not wearing wires.

Blago did nothing more than what is done every day all over the country. He went wrong by antagonizing everyone, so Fitz was put onto him.

Is that why the negotiation with the Senate Seat had a go between of Obama's involved, Advocate?
Advocate

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:54 am
@okie,
Okie, I don't understand your question. BTW, I am certainly not a fan of Blago, but sought to comment on our sick political system. Of course, we are probably better than almost anywhere else.
okie

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:03 am
@Advocate,
There was a personal friend or associate of Obama's, Eric Whitaker, that was in contact with Blago's office, which I found rather odd, no proof of anything but just odd, so the question is why was Whitaker contacted to find out what Obama really would do for the inside scoop? By the way, Whitaker is associated with the medical center where Michelle had a cushy job, appearances of strings being pulled, favors, jobs, being arranged, and other things. If you have any curiosity, do some internet searching. And for any curious investigative reporter, there would be lots of interesting things to look into n Chicago, but of course we hear nothing now.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:06 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
And for any curious investigative reporter, there would be lots of interesting things to look into in Chicago, but of course we hear nothing now.

I'll get on it right away, okie. Smile
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:10 pm
@okie,
I understand such deals go all the way back to our Founding Fathers. Of course, this doesn't make it right. However, this might serve to Blago in the penalty phase of his trial.
okie

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:40 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate, there is no doubt that for example, people that campaign hard for someone, they may get a job, this is true, this is known and pretty well accepted, and this would be an example of political favors. Hey, if you do alot of stuff for your neighbors, someday they might give you a job if you need one. That is one example of the type of thing that happens.

However, I think there is a difference between that sort of thing and taking it to the next level, that being making advance deals for trumped up jobs, fake jobs, newly created jobs that require little work, cash in exchange for political favors, or delivering legislation that is not otherwise justified but is solely for the purpose of providing some scheme for a friend to make money off the government. I believe that is what Blago was involved in, he does not seem to have any common sense about ethics, and apparently this next level of corrupt behavior has been common in Illinois, so that Blago came to regard it as standard procedure and not all that wrong. After all, everybody does it. I think it is a mistake to accept the idea that everybody does it, after all, it is corrupt and it is a crime.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:04 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Quote:
Advocate, there is no doubt that for example, people that campaign hard for someone, they may get a job, this is true, this is known and pretty well accepted, and this would be an example of political favors. Hey, if you do alot of stuff for your neighbors, someday they might give you a job if you need one. That is one example of the type of thing that happens.

Is this a new revelation for you? Why did you even bother wasting cyberspace with this crap?
okie

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
ci, Advocate mentioned this stuff going back to the founding fathers. No doubt true, but I think it appropriate to point out that we should not mix apples and oranges, there are different kinds of political favors, levels of it, with alot of it being fairly benign. No doubt, corruption went back to the beginning, however, I think corruption is on the increase, just as all manner of scams and dishonesty are on the increase throughout society, that being my opinion. I posted what I did because there is the pitfall of not providing context, to sort of muddy up the entire mix of things done into one pot of stew, and thus dumbing down those practices that are truly over the top. You should not justify robbing the cash drawer, simply by pointing out that everyone takes a pencil home from the office.
Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:21 am
@okie,
The problem with Blago is that he was less than artful in his corruption. This goes on every day with almost all politicians, but most are careful in the wording used, only hinting (often through underlings) that he or she will help "friends." A friend is one who contributes, or otherwise gives favor to, a politician. Blago went about it with a meat axe.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:35 am
A real disconnect concerning law enforcement is the intent to go after Michael Phelps for smoking weed, but to allow those who lied us into a war to go scott free.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:39 am
@Advocate,
amen! The level of crime and who gets prosecuted is all upside down.
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:42 am
@okie,
Quote:
I hope this makes Blago mad enough to sing like a canary!

He is such a sneaky bastard that he knows he doesn't have to sing at all...all he has to do is get the tapes played in public so those who negotiated with him (in confidence) will find themselves burned by association.

Smart little slimeball! Call their bluff...flip on the lights and watch all the Democrat roaches run for cover!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 02:24 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

A real disconnect concerning law enforcement is the intent to go after Michael Phelps for smoking weed, but to allow those who lied us into a war to go scott free.

Then along with Bush, also arrest Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, members of the CIA, most members of Congress, and other intelligence services abroad that lied about it, Advocate. Good Luck!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 02:29 pm
@okie,
Good luck? What in hell are you talking about? Hillary and Bill lied about what?