Illinois Governor Arrested

okie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:47 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

okie wrote:

Joe, anyone that apologizes for a politician's missteps is an apologist for them.

I suppose I should consider that to be an authoritative definition, coming as it does from a confirmed Bush apologist.

okie wrote:
The land deal, as I have researched it, I hope I have the basics right, apparently Rezko's wife and Obama bought land and the house, respectively, from a landowner on the very same day, indicating a bundled pair of purchases represented to the seller of the property.

You're wrong. The bids didn't come in on the same day, and the two transactions were handled completely separately. The bid on the side lot (which Rezko later purchased) actually was made by another developer before Obama made his bid. The two lots simply closed on the same day. Nothing ominous about that: no doubt the sellers just wanted to take care of everything on the same day, rather than make two trips.

Bids are not when you buy the property, Joe, my assertion stands, they bought the properties on the same day. And lots of people have found that ominous for the reasons I have already tried to explain to you. When you say no doubt the sellers just wanted to take care of everything the same day, you don't know that to be true at all, in fact it is more likely to me that they wanted to be assured of the total money they received for both properties, it is very logical that the two deals may have been dependent on each other. In other words, why sell the house for 300k less than asking if the land deal should fall through. I would be curious which deal was closed that day first, I am going to guess the land deal first, then the house.

Quote:
okie wrote:
Obviously the seller would not consider each purchase alone, but both in totality in terms of what they would receive for the property. Rezko paid more than the land was apparently worth, the asking price, and this has been strongly indicated by a corrupted appraisal process, as indicated in the following, while Obama paid 300,000 less than the asking price:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/18/whistleblower-hits-obama-friends-appraisal/

Are you that dumb? If the appraisal was crooked, that only suggests that Rezko was trying to defraud the bank into lending more on the property than it was worth. How could an inflated appraisal by the buyer have any effect on the sale (except to screw himself)?

In any event, Rezko paid $625,000 for the side lot, which was the asking price.

As for Obama paying less than the asking price: why wouldn't he? The sellers listed the house for $1.95 million. Obama paid $1.65 million, which was $150,000 more than his initial offer on the property. Two parties to a transaction agree to a price in the middle: where's the scandal?

Quote:
okie wrote:
So while the adjacent land was being purchased for over price,

False

okie wrote:
based upon a corrupted appraisal process, apparently a phony appraisal,

Idiotic

okie wrote:
Obama purchased the house for 300,000 less than asking price, thus the owner received 300,000 less than total asked for both land and house,

Christ! Even your math is fucked up. You said that Rezko paid more than the asking price for the side lot, while Obama paid $300k less than the asking price, so the owner couldn't have received $300k less than the total asked for both properties.

My math is perfect. I never said they paid more than asking price, I said they paid more than the property was worth, probably, because the appraisal was apparently corrupted, and I posted the evidence for it. If Rezko knew the appraisal was high, he would have offered less money, Joe, thats the point. The point is he wanted to overpay for the property as a favor for his political ally, Obama, so the appraisal had to match what he paid, that being part of what people think got the sellers to sell for the prices they did. In parallel, Obama paid less than the house was worth, according to the appraisal. None of this would be real suspicious, except, Joe, Rezko was a political fundraiser, a powerbroker in Chicago that was helping Obama, and a favor is very likely. Remember, Rezko is a convicted felon, Joe, are you that blind? And how likely would it be these two people would independently close on property adjacent to each other on the same day, under questionable terms and circumstances?

Quote:
okie wrote:
indicating the Rezkos helped the Obama's purchase their house at a reduced price by virtue of overpaying for the land, part of which was later sold to the Obama's to add to their property.

It indicates no such thing.

okie wrote:
Now, as an apologist for Obama, you will undoubtedly recognize nothing haywire about this land deal that was engineered by Obama and his friend and political financier, now convicted felon, but I think as a Chicagoan familiar with Chicago politics, you should not be that naive, Joe.

Oh, there's a lot that's haywire about the deal that you describe. That deal, however, has no resemblance to what actually happened -- and very little connection to reality in general.

For more information:
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/rezkotimeline.php

I see you get your reasoning from a website titled "talking points," now what could get any more apologetic than that? To be perfectly accurate, proving this was a political favor is perhaps not beyond a reasonable doubt, but it is very likely in lots of peoples opinion. And if Obama did not admit to something wrong, he would never have said it was a "boneheaded" deal he made. Why admit it was boneheaded if he did nothing wrong? That is the clincher to me, he knew it and admitted it. Even Obama admits more than you will, now that is what I call a real apologist!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:51 pm
@okie,
okie, my friend, I feel slighted...

Do you have me on ignore by chance, my incredibly opinionated neighbor to the South...

Sad Cool

ps...

do you have any relevant experience in Chicago politics, or are you just playing with your balls?

kurious in Kansas...
revel

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:53 pm
@okie,
He is soon to release all contacts his staff may have had, he has had no contact; so you will not have rely on your belief in what he says or your own private assertions.

Quote:
CHICAGO " President-elect Barack Obama said Monday a review by his own lawyer shows he had no direct contact with Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich about the appointment of a Senate replacement, and transition aides did nothing inappropriate.

Obama pledged to make the review public, but said he decided to hold off because prosecutors asked for a delay and "I don't want to interfere with an ongoing investigation." U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald released a statement confirming the request.

Controversy has swirled around the president-elect and his incoming White House chief of staff, Rep. Rahm Emanuel, following Blagojevich's arrest last week on charges he schemed to trade Obama's Senate seat for personal gain.

Obama, fielding questions at a news conference, sidestepped when asked whether Emanuel had spoken with aides to the governor about potential Senate appointees.

Emanuel was one of several aides who watched the news conference from the wings.

The president-elect pledged the results of the investigation by his incoming White House counsel, Gregory Craig, would be released "in due course."

He said the probe was complete and thorough, but did not say which of his aides Craig interviewed, whether any of them was under oath at the time, or any other details.

In personally disclosing the results of the investigation he ordered, Obama said, "As I said in a press conference last week, I had no contact with the governor's office and I had no contact with anybody in the governor's office. What I indicated last week was there was nothing that my office did that was in any way inappropriate or related to the charges that have been brought."

Blagojevich has authority under Illinois state law to name a Senate replacement for Obama, who resigned his seat as he prepares to become president. Senate Democrats have warned the governor not to use his power, hinting they may refuse to allow his selection to take the oath of office.

There also has been talk of the legislature passing a law that would strip the governor of the power to name a replacement, and call for a special election instead.

Separately, Blagojevich has come under heavy pressure to resign, from Obama as well as Democrats nationally and in Illinois. Earlier in the day, the Legislature took the first step toward possible impeachment.

Obama held his news conference shortly after his transition office released a statement by spokesman Dan Pfeiffer saying the internal review had found no wrongdoing.

Like the president-elect, the statement left several issues uncovered.

It did not say whether Emanuel was heard on a wiretap providing the governor's top aide with a list of names that the president-elect favored. Nor did it say who, if anyone, on Obama transition's team had made contact with the governor or his aides concerning a replacement for Obama or whether Craig interviewed people under oath, or to whom he talked.

Pfeiffer said the review "affirmed the public statements of the president-elect that he had no contact with the governor or his staff, and that the president-elect's staff was not involved in inappropriate discussions with the governor or his staff over the selection of his successor as U.S. Senator."

Obama appeared before reporters to announce his environmental and natural resources team.

It was disclosed last week that he selected Steven Chu for energy secretary, Lisa Jackson for Environmental Protection Agency administrator, Carol Browner as his energy and climate "czar," and Nancy Sutley to lead the White House Council on Environmental Quality.

Separately, officials familiar with the selection of Obama's Cabinet said the president-elect has selected Chicago schools chief Arne Duncan as education secretary. These officials spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to disclose any personnel decisions not yet announced.

Earlier in the day, Obama met privately with his national security team, including Vice President-elect Joe Biden, incoming Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

The president-elect's transition office said the meeting was held to discuss opportunities and challenges around the globe and was designed to help the new administration hit the ground running as of Inauguration Day, Jan. 20.

In recent days, Obama's staff has declined to respond even to basic questions about the Blagojevich review, like how long it would take, who was leading it and what issues were explored.

Two people who have been briefed on the investigation had told The Associated Press that Emanuel is not a target of the probe. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation is ongoing. One is a person close to Emanuel, who said he has been told by investigators that he's not a subject of their probe.

There are no suggestions that Obama or his aides were involved in the alleged sale of his seat. Fitzgerald has said prosecutors were making no allegations that Obama was aware of any scheming. And Blagojevich himself, in taped conversations cited by prosecutors, suggested Obama wouldn't be helpful to him and called him a vulgar term. Even if the governor were to appoint a candidate favored by the Obama team, Blagojevich said, "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation."

source

Obama is a constitutional scholar; I imagine he is not stupid enough to put out anything that will get him in trouble. From what I can tell from the parsing, is that Obama had not contact with the governor about the issue, but someone on his staff did but there was not any quid quo pro so to speak so nothing illegal about it which has been evidenced all along by Blagojevich's own words of expecting nothing but appreciation if he did appoint someone they want. If someone in his staff did mention names but promised nothing in return, there is nothing at all wrong or illegal with that.

Not only that but the rewards for this alleged action is so miniscule in comparison to the risk, I just don't think the Obama team would be stupid enough to risk it.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

do you have any relevant experience in Chicago politics, or are you just playing with your balls?

You are suggesting that okie has such?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:58 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I'm tryin' to be nice, holidays and such stuff...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:09 pm
@revel,
revel wrote:
Obama is a constitutional scholar; I imagine he is not stupid enough to put out anything that will get him in trouble. ....

Lots of intelligent people get into trouble, revel, look at the governor. Its called arrogance, not intelligence.

Quote:
Not only that but the rewards for this alleged action is so miniscule in comparison to the risk, I just don't think the Obama team would be stupid enough to risk it.

So its about intelligence, not honesty? I would hope Obama would not engage in this, not because of intelligence, but instead honesty.
okie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:21 pm
@okie,
The thing that started this whole suspicion thing in regard to Obama, he starts it all out by saying:

“I have had no contact with the governor or his office, so I was unaware of what was happening.”

Now that has been shown as bull. If he didn't talk to them personally, any dufus knows when a president says "I", it means him plus his close assistants. And we now know Emanuel had more than one contact with the governor, and is there anybody that believes Obama was ignorant of this and what was said? I am sure Emanuel was doing Obama's bidding, after all he is his boss, Emanuel is not going to go off on a tangent all on his own. I don't think he is credible when he says he was unaware, as if he is totally in the dark and doesn't have a clue what the governor was doing. Count on it, Obama had already communicated, either personally or by his assistants, his preference for the replacement.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:50 pm
@okie,
Better check yourself into a mental institution real quick. When anybody says they didn't do something, it's not normal to question their honesty based on your own ethics and morals. You have none; you infer the most stupid things about Obama without having any evidence or fact.

The mental institution is the best place for you; you mind find some like-minded sickos there.
okie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Better check yourself into a mental institution real quick. When anybody says they didn't do something, it's not normal to question their honesty based on your own ethics and morals. You have none; you infer the most stupid things about Obama without having any evidence or fact.

The mental institution is the best place for you; you mind find some like-minded sickos there.

ci, you are getting too hilarious! And you are really drinking Obamalade, ci, in fact chug-a-lugging it!

I just thought of the term, "Obamalade," I googled it and I guess I am too late to copyright the term, its already out there, darn it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:25 pm
@okie,
Just as I expected; you won't and can't provide any evidence of all your imagined illegal activities on Obama. Just innuendos and inferences without anything to back it up except your sick imagination.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Shocked Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Damn, Okie went away before I could ask him 'bout the grassy knoll...

(oh well, guess he had a better idea)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 09:20 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Bids are not when you buy the property, Joe, my assertion stands, they bought the properties on the same day.

So what?

okie wrote:
And lots of people have found that ominous for the reasons I have already tried to explain to you.

That's just an argumentum ad populum, and not a very good one at that. Sure, a lot of people who think like you think there's something fishy about both properties closing on the same day. But then people who think like you are also likely to be idiots, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that argument.

okie wrote:
When you say no doubt the sellers just wanted to take care of everything the same day, you don't know that to be true at all, in fact it is more likely to me that they wanted to be assured of the total money they received for both properties, it is very logical that the two deals may have been dependent on each other.

Actually, the sellers have confirmed Obama's version of events.

okie wrote:
In other words, why sell the house for 300k less than asking if the land deal should fall through. I would be curious which deal was closed that day first, I am going to guess the land deal first, then the house.

The sellers sold the house for $300k less than the asking price because that was the best price that they could get. Do you even own property? Do you have any clue how the real estate market works?

okie wrote:
My math is perfect. I never said they paid more than asking price, I said they paid more than the property was worth...

Do you think I'm like one of your conservative friends who can't read? Here's what you wrote:
Quote:
Rezko paid more than the land was apparently worth, the asking price

You most assuredly said that Rezko paid more than the asking price. I'm trying to keep up with your argument. You should try it too.

okie wrote:
...probably, because the appraisal was apparently corrupted, and I posted the evidence for it.

You really are that dumb, aren't you. According to your own source, that appraisal was made after Rezko purchased the side lot. How could a fraudulent appraisal made after a sale have any effect on the price paid for the property?

okie wrote:
If Rezko knew the appraisal was high, he would have offered less money, Joe, thats the point. The point is he wanted to overpay for the property as a favor for his political ally, Obama, so the appraisal had to match what he paid, that being part of what people think got the sellers to sell for the prices they did.

That makes absolutely no sense. Even if everything you say is true, how does Rezko's overpaying for the side lot end up giving an advantage to Obama?

okie wrote:
In parallel, Obama paid less than the house was worth, according to the appraisal.

There was no appraisal on the house, as far as I know. Do you have a source that tells you otherwise?

okie wrote:
None of this would be real suspicious, except, Joe, Rezko was a political fundraiser, a powerbroker in Chicago that was helping Obama, and a favor is very likely. Remember, Rezko is a convicted felon, Joe, are you that blind? And how likely would it be these two people would independently close on property adjacent to each other on the same day, under questionable terms and circumstances?

I'm still waiting for you to identify those questionable terms or circumstances.

okie wrote:
I see you get your reasoning from a website titled "talking points," now what could get any more apologetic than that?

The only source that you cite is a publication owned by the Moonies and you criticize my sources? That's rich.

okie wrote:
To be perfectly accurate, proving this was a political favor is perhaps not beyond a reasonable doubt, but it is very likely in lots of peoples opinion.

Those people are dumbasses.

okie wrote:
And if Obama did not admit to something wrong, he would never have said it was a "boneheaded" deal he made. Why admit it was boneheaded if he did nothing wrong? That is the clincher to me, he knew it and admitted it. Even Obama admits more than you will, now that is what I call a real apologist!

He said it was a mistake because it created an issue that conservative cretins, conspiracy nuts, and other assorted sub-morons have spun into a controversy. That was definitely a mistake.
okie

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 09:54 am
@joefromchicago,
Well, no amount of argument will solve this. You drink Obamalade, go ahead, thats your privilege.

One thing I wish to clear up in your arguments however, you quote me:
"Rezko paid more than the land was apparently worth, the asking price"
You cite that statement as meaning I said he paid more than the asking price. No, you read it wrong, I could have worded it more clearly, but it says he paid more than the property was worth, (which was) the asking price. In other words, he paid the asking price, which was apparently more than the property was worth, apparently because of a corrupt appraisal, which I have provided you evidence of, Joe. You do need to learn how to read, Joe. I could have worded it better, but you also need to read better.

Another point, regardless of the insinuations, if it was totally honest, Obama would have no need, in fact it would be boneheaded to admit boneheadedness, after all if it was all coincidental, he should not apologize in the least. Only if he bears some guilt in the matter was it boneheaded.

Bottom line, you trust Obama, I don't, so I look at what he has done and what he is doing through a different prism than your prism. I respect that you believe what you believe, but I am not forming an opinion of this man out of a vacuum, I have read his book, watched nearly all the debates, followed the events, and him closely since he came on the scene. I have concluded he is less than honest in regard to what he is really about. Over the next 4 years, we will be able to compare notes and see who is more correct.

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:39 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Well, no amount of argument will solve this.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have any argument left.

okie wrote:
You drink Obamalade, go ahead, thats your privilege.

Yep, no argument left at all.

okie wrote:
One thing I wish to clear up in your arguments however, you quote me:
"Rezko paid more than the land was apparently worth, the asking price"
You cite that statement as meaning I said he paid more than the asking price. No, you read it wrong, I could have worded it more clearly, but it says he paid more than the property was worth, (which was) the asking price. In other words, he paid the asking price, which was apparently more than the property was worth, apparently because of a corrupt appraisal, which I have provided you evidence of, Joe.

According to your own source, that "corrupt appraisal" took place after the property was sold. Furthermore, it is clear from that source that the "corrupt appraisal" was made in connection with a loan for which Rezko applied in order to buy another piece of property. That, of course, makes sense: nobody orders an inflated appraisal in order to boost the value of a piece of property that he hasn't bought yet -- he would just be screwing himself if he did that.

So, two very simple questions for you:

1. Assuming that everything you have said is accurate, what advantage was conferred on Obama by Rezko's purchase of the side lot for an inflated price?

2. How could an appraisal, made after the sale of the subject piece of property, affect the sale price of that property?

okie wrote:
Bottom line, you trust Obama, I don't, so I look at what he has done and what he is doing through a different prism than your prism.

No, I trust the facts, you don't. I agree, though, that we look at things through entirely different prisms.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:46 am
@joefromchicago,
okie has no ability at objective conclusions no matter how much evidence there are on any topic. I keep asking which school he graduated from, but have never heard an answer. I'm not sure how any school could graduate a student who always arrives at different answers to simple questions.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:24 am
@joefromchicago,
Joe, I have not spent my life studying this deal, but from what I have gotten out of it so far is the implication that the sellers were more inclined to sell Obama the property with the house on it at a cutrate price, by virtue of the fact that Rezko's wife was willing to buy the rest of the land, and they ended up paying full price, or an inflated price, for the vacant land. You say the sellers say no, but of course they are going to say no most likely, they do not want any further trouble out of this, especially if they are Democrats. After all, the two properties were a result of a large lot that had no acceptable offers, so it was split into two, and the owner stipulated closing on the same day, so the deals are definitely linked, something you have tried to disregard. Obama had just received 1.69 million from a book deal, so that is about all the money he had to buy the house he wanted at the 1.65 million. Each deal was contingent upon the other, and it is doubtful Obama could buy the house without his buddy and convicted felon, Rezko, buying the other part of the property. That doesn't strike you as a political favor, Joe? I wish I had friends around that would help me buy a property that I wanted, by buying a portion of a lot if I couldn't buy the whole thing.

In regard to the appraisal that I brought up before, I need more info. on that, but lets look at how Rezko sold the 10 foot strip of land back to the Obamas. An appraiser valued it at about $40,500, but since Obama felt it would be fair to give Rezko 1/6 of the amount paid for the entire lot, since the 10 foot sliver represtented 1/6 of the lot, so he paid Rezko 104,500, which is 1/6 of the 625,000 paid for the whole lot, but more than $60,000 over the appraised price. Why would he want to do that, if these guys were not in this whole mess together? Now if the appraiser was correct, then the entire lot was probably worth only about 6 times the 40,500, or about $243,000, or about $382,000 less than Rezko paid for the property. Interesting is it not that this amount is approximately the same as Obama underpaid for his house?

Conclusion Joe, Rezko helped the Obamas purchase their dream house. That is a political favor, Joe.

Beyond that, something I have not even touched on, is the possibility of tax problems in regard to this deal, as mentioned in the following article.
http://makethemaccountable.com/index.php/2008/08/10/more-than-just-a-boneheaded-mistake/
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:58 am
@okie,
okie, Did you know that different accountants can arrive at different tax liabilities for the same tax return?

Your pursuit of this purchase by Obama simply goes nowhere, because there are other big fishes to fry - especially in IL/Chicago politics. Your myopia is very tiresome.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 01:13 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Joe, I have not spent my life studying this deal, but from what I have gotten out of it so far is the implication that the sellers were more inclined to sell Obama the property with the house on it at a cutrate price, by virtue of the fact that Rezko's wife was willing to buy the rest of the land, and they ended up paying full price, or an inflated price, for the vacant land.

I'll bet I have spent even less time studying this deal than you, but I still understand it better than you do. The sale of the two pieces of property were not linked. I would agree with you that the sellers split the lots because it would be easier to sell them that way, but then that just means that the sellers thought they could sell both lots to different purchasers -- which is exactly what ended up happening. The sale of the home lot wasn't conditioned upon the sale of the side lot. If the two were linked like that, the sellers wouldn't have split them up in the first place. They would have sold the entire piece of property and let the buyer split it up.

okie wrote:
You say the sellers say no, but of course they are going to say no most likely, they do not want any further trouble out of this, especially if they are Democrats.

Yeah, sure, it's much easier to explain your position by arguing that everybody who actually participated in the transaction is lying.

okie wrote:
After all, the two properties were a result of a large lot that had no acceptable offers, so it was split into two, and the owner stipulated closing on the same day, so the deals are definitely linked, something you have tried to disregard.

They are linked only in your fervid imagination.

okie wrote:
Obama had just received 1.69 million from a book deal, so that is about all the money he had to buy the house he wanted at the 1.65 million.

Are you serious? Have you never heard of something called "borrowing?" Do you think Obama was carrying $1.65 million in cash around with him in a briefcase, looking to put it all down on a house? Are you nuts?

okie wrote:
Each deal was contingent upon the other, and it is doubtful Obama could buy the house without his buddy and convicted felon, Rezko, buying the other part of the property. That doesn't strike you as a political favor, Joe? I wish I had friends around that would help me buy a property that I wanted, by buying a portion of a lot if I couldn't buy the whole thing.

Obama didn't want to buy the side lot. If he did, he would have bought it from the sellers or from Rezko. After all, he was able to swing the purchase of a $1.65 million home. You don't think he could have gotten financing for the purchase of both lots at $2.275 million? What makes you think that Obama could only afford the home lot but not the side lot?

okie wrote:
In regard to the appraisal that I brought up before, I need more info. on that, but lets look at how Rezko sold the 10 foot strip of land back to the Obamas. An appraiser valued it at about $40,500, but since Obama felt it would be fair to give Rezko 1/6 of the amount paid for the entire lot, since the 10 foot sliver represtented 1/6 of the lot, so he paid Rezko 104,500, which is 1/6 of the 625,000 paid for the whole lot, but more than $60,000 over the appraised price. Why would he want to do that, if these guys were not in this whole mess together?

How is that a benefit to Obama? The way you're putting it, Rezko screwed Obama by overcharging him for that strip of land. That's what you call a benefit?

okie wrote:
Now if the appraiser was correct, then the entire lot was probably worth only about 6 times the 40,500, or about $243,000, or about $382,000 less than Rezko paid for the property.

So what? The appraiser in your source said that the property was worth $500k, and you seemed to believe him (at least when it suits your purposes). Besides, appraised value doesn't equal market value. The price of a piece of property is whatever someone is willing to pay for it, not what some appraiser says it's worth.

okie wrote:
Interesting is it not that this amount is approximately the same as Obama underpaid for his house?

Why is that interesting? If Rezko was only purchasing the side lot in order to help Obama get the main lot, then he is out $300k, unless Obama reimburses him. If Obama had paid $300k for the 1/6 strip of Rezko's lot, then that might be suspicious looking. As it was, Obama paid slightly more than 1/6 of what Rezko paid for 1/6 of Rezko's lot. That's suspicious?

okie wrote:
Conclusion Joe, Rezko helped the Obamas purchase their dream house. That is a political favor, Joe.

Even if everything you've said is true (which boggles the mind), where's the benefit to Rezko?

okie wrote:
Beyond that, something I have not even touched on, is the possibility of tax problems in regard to this deal, as mentioned in the following article.
http://makethemaccountable.com/index.php/2008/08/10/more-than-just-a-boneheaded-mistake/

Oh brother! Drunk
revel

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 01:18 pm
@okie,
I realize lots of smart people get in trouble. However, what I mean was that now this whole issue has blown up, Obama is surely aware anything he says about all this will be carefully checked out by one and all; in the press, blogs and legally. Also Emmanuel could have talked to the governor about the senate seat any time after the election or even before without being fully aware of any situation going on with any investigation into the sale of the senate seat so that could be what Obama meant when he said he has had no contact with the governor so was unaware of the situation going on. There is nothing wrong with talking about the replacement in the senate, it is only deal making which is wrong and it is that Obama has stated neither he nor any of his staff had any involvement in. Like I said though, there is going to be a release of all contact as soon as they are able to do so. Fitzgerald has said that the Obama team has not implicated in any way and he would be one in a position to know.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 01:49 pm
If we can get back on-topic now...

joe -- can you decode John Kass's column for me?

Governor has friends who also have friends...