Military jet crash in San Diego kills 2 on ground

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:28 pm
Military jet crash in San Diego kills 2 on ground

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press Writer Elliot Spagat, Associated Press Writer " 12 mins ago

SAN DIEGO " A military fighter jet preparing to land at a Marine base crashed in a densely populated San Diego neighborhood Monday, killing two people on the ground and destroying two houses, officials said. The pilot of the F/A-18D Hornet jet ejected safely, according to a statement from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

Mayor Jerry Sanders said two people on the ground were killed. Fire officials said the deaths were at a home where two children, a mother and a grandmother were believed to be inside. Officials did not immediately know who died.

Two houses were destroyed and one damaged, said San Diego City Councilwoman Marti Emerald, who viewed the aftermath.

The plane crashed near Interstate 805 around noon Monday about two miles from the base as it prepared to land, said Ian Gregor, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman. Military officials did not comment on a possible cause of the crash.
more. . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,594 • Replies: 7
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
I watching that on our local news here in San Diego. Three people on the ground were killed and one is missing.
http://www.cbs8.com/stories/story.148319.html
wandeljw

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
I am glad you are okay, CJane. Are you familiar with the neighborhood where it happened?
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:15 pm
@wandeljw,
Wandel, thank you! I can look down to the area from my house as I live high up on a hillside, but I don't live close the crash site (ca. 5 miles away). It's all over the local news though and we've seen the smoke.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thought of you immediately when we heard the news on the radio, CJ. Glad you're okay.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 11:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Thank you, Andrew! It's very unfortunate, but the Miramar Naval Air Station
is so close to residential areas, it's a wonder that nothing has happened until
now, especially considering the extensive training flights they make daily.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:35 am
@CalamityJane,
How predictable. You don't suppose those residential areas were populated AFTER the base was built, do you?

Some might look at it as the price of freedom. It's never free, ya know.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:04 am
@CalamityJane,
An update: A Korean family had moved two weeks prior to the F18 plane crash into the house that cost everyone their lives - mother, two children and grandmother. The surviving husband was at work when the tragedy happened. That poor chap has lost everything, his wife, his two beautiful children and his mother-in-law who just came over from Korea to help out with the kids. Now he's without a family, home or any of his belongings. How devastating this must be.
My heart goes out to him!
0 Replies