Mouse problems

mac11

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:31 am
My mom swears by these gadgets, Montana. She's used them for years. She even has one on the balcony to keep the squirrels out of the flower pots.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:41 am
Well, if it's good enough for your mom, then it's good enough for me. I just ordered one.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:43 am
<sigh> If only my customers took my advice so promptly....

<bigger sigh>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
LOL Gautam.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:00 am
Well, I just put away the nasty old killer traps, so I feel much better now :-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:34 am
Cripes Montana, they're just mice. Are you a vegan? Kill it and grill it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:47 am
CJ
I knew someone was eventually going to say that, LOL! Thing is that I love all animals and killing any one of them is horrible for me. I can't expect everyone to understand my feelings since not everyone has such a strong compassion for them as I do. I can't help the way I feel and I honestly wouldn't want to change that about myself either. They may be just mice to you, but they suffer just like we do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:02 am
Get yourself some D-Con. Those noisemakers drive me nuts as I can hear them. If you can't, use both.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:04 am
This here's what happens when you let the mice get out of control. Gotta call in the big guns:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/209406/razorback.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:07 am
Oh CJ, that's awful. Why do you do that to me?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:08 am
Oh M, the bacon doesn't really come from the store. That wild boar weighed in excess of 800 lbs. That's a big mouse.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:11 am
I've used a variety of those electronic pest control thingies and they didn't work. I even watched as a mouse sat directly underneath one of them and he wasn't at all bothered. I borrowed the neighbors cat and it made her skitter off, but the mice can get immune to the noise and vibrations (if it is a dual sonic trap) after a little while. I had to resort to the ole snap-trap. It was horrible but it was the only thing that worked. The glue traps are dreadful and I definitely don't recommend them.

If you are not squeamish around mice, you could get a bucket (don't fill it with water) and smear peanut butter in the bottom and around the inner sides of it. The smell of peanut butter drives mice crazy. Then put a pole of some sort in the bucket and grease it well. Balance the pole against something where the mice can climb up on. The sides of the bucket should be high so the mice cannot climb up that way. When they get into the bucket they will not be able to climb back out because the pole is too greasy to get back up. Then you can come back and cover the bucket and drive the critters miles away and let them go.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:15 am
CJ
Sometimes you can be a real pain in the ass ;-) I don't eat bacon, haha.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:18 am
Heeven wrote:
I've used a variety of those electronic pest control thingies and they didn't work. I even watched as a mouse sat directly underneath one of them and he wasn't at all bothered. I borrowed the neighbors cat and it made her skitter off, but the mice can get immune to the noise and vibrations (if it is a dual sonic trap) after a little while. I had to resort to the ole snap-trap. It was horrible but it was the only thing that worked. The glue traps are dreadful and I definitely don't recommend them.

If you are not squeamish around mice, you could get a bucket (don't fill it with water) and smear peanut butter in the bottom and around the inner sides of it. The smell of peanut butter drives mice crazy. Then put a pole of some sort in the bucket and grease it well. Balance the pole against something where the mice can climb up on. The sides of the bucket should be high so the mice cannot climb up that way. When they get into the bucket they will not be able to climb back out because the pole is too greasy to get back up. Then you can come back and cover the bucket and drive the critters miles away and let them go.

I already ordered the thing, so I hope it works. The bucket thing sounds like a good idea too. Thanks for the advice Heeven. I need all the advice I can get.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:20 am
D-Con and/or Warfarin. Just make sure your kid/dog/pet can't get to it. They sell "feeding stations" to contain this stuff to prevent accidental pet poisoning. An added benefit of this is that it works while you're away. You don't want to put out snap traps and leave for a week. Gross.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:42 am
Montana wrote:
It sucks that they don't sell some kind of poision that would just put them to sleep. You'd think in this day and age that there would be a more humane way of doing this horrible deed.

There is, but it's not good because then they die inside of your walls, and stink.

And with the humane ways, what are you going to do with it once you catch it? Mine died anyway, and this is not uncommon - mice have insane metabolisms and when they get really frightened, somthing happens that they dehydrate? And die.
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
You don't have to experiment with this method, it always works. Call a pest control service. They will get rid of the mice, and guarantee that they won't return. They will check at appropriate intervals of time to make sure.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 12:21 pm
Portal Star wrote:
Montana wrote:
It sucks that they don't sell some kind of poision that would just put them to sleep. You'd think in this day and age that there would be a more humane way of doing this horrible deed.

There is, but it's not good because then they die inside of your walls, and stink.

And with the humane ways, what are you going to do with it once you catch it? Mine died anyway, and this is not uncommon - mice have insane metabolisms and when they get really frightened, somthing happens that they dehydrate? And die.

I've been catching them with those have a heart traps for a long time and never scared one to death yet. I'd let them outside and back in they came.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 12:24 pm
Olen wrote:
You don't have to experiment with this method, it always works. Call a pest control service. They will get rid of the mice, and guarantee that they won't return. They will check at appropriate intervals of time to make sure.

We use to have a pest control service years ago for termites back in another house and they did not get rid of them, so I don't put much faith in them anymore. Thanks for the advice though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 12:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
D-Con and/or Warfarin. Just make sure your kid/dog/pet can't get to it. They sell "feeding stations" to contain this stuff to prevent accidental pet poisoning. An added benefit of this is that it works while you're away. You don't want to put out snap traps and leave for a week. Gross.

I don't like dealing with poision and I don't want them dying in the house or walls either, but thanks anyway.
0 Replies