Geek and Nerd Humor

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:12 am
@Shapeless,
There used to be a whole website, done by a Hungarian actually IIRC, you could send in your own versions. There were some really creative ones. But then he got the idea of publishing a book with them, so he took the site down, or left only a few samples up, I dont remember, so as not to give away the content he wanted to sell for free ... and then nothing. Doubt the book ever appeared.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:08 am
@Shapeless,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:39 am
1. Describe your problem:

2. Now, describe the problem accurately:

3. Speculate wildly about the cause of the problem:

4. Problem Severity:

A. Minor__

B. Minor__

C. Minor__

D. Trivial__

5. Nature of the problem:

A. Locked Up__

B. Frozen__

C. Hung__

D. Shot__

6. Is your computer plugged in? Yes__ No__

7. Is it turned on? Yes__ No__

8. Have you tried to fix it yourself? Yes__ No__

9. Have you made it worse? Yes__

10. Have you read the manual? Yes__ No__

11. Are you sure you've read the manual? Yes__ No__

12. Are you absolutely certain you've read the manual? No__

13. Do you think you understood it? Yes__ No__

14. If `Yes' then why can't you fix the problem yourself?

15. How tall are you? Are you above this line? __________________

16. What were you doing with your computer at the time the problem

occurred?

17. If `nothing' explain why you were logged in.

18. Are you sure you aren't imagining the problem? Yes__ No__

19. How does this problem make you feel? ____________________________

20. Tell me about your childhood. ___________________________________

21. Do you have any independent witnesses of the problem? Yes__ No__

22. Can't you do something else, instead of bothering me? Yes_
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:48 am
Q: Why did the Comp. Engineer get X-mas and Halloween mixed up?

A: Because Oct(31) == Dec(25)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:51 am
Heisenberg is speeding down the street and he gets pulled over by a cop. The officer asks, "do you know how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg replies, "no, but i know exactly where i am!"
DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:55 am
How do you recognize a field service engineer on the side of the road with a flat tire? ...

He's changing each tire to see which one is flat.

And the related problem:

How do you recognize a field service engineer on the side of the road who has run out of gas? ...

He's changing each tire to see which one is flat.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:59 am
Three foreigners: a businessman, physicist, and mathematician, are talking about the country they're all visiting for the first time.

Suddenly, the businessman points out the window in surprise. "Look at that! The sheep in Scotland are black!"

Amused at how readily his new friend jumps to conclusions, the physicist corrects him: "No, all we can be certain of is that some of the sheep in Scotland are black."

The mathematician looks out the window himself, and corrects the both of them: "We know there exists a sheep in Scotland which is black on at least one side."
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 04:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 04:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 05:16 pm
http://eddie.niese.net/images/geek_humor.jpg
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 05:20 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I want that clock.

Some more that might interest you:

http://www.yougneek.com/geek-clock.gif

http://www.uberreview.com/wp-content/uploads/unit_circle_wall_clock.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MgzyD123120/SI0uhDDW4DI/AAAAAAAABMs/WsijonaJCP4/s400/geek-clock.jpg

http://s-ec.buzzfeed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2009/1/30/11/nerd-clock-23282-1233334540-12.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:42 pm
squidboots
Omg. Omg. Omg. I am so making these for the next bacteriology party I attend.

col381
You wild party guy you

squidboots
girl Smile

col381
In that case: well hello there.. science girls are hot ;-)

nullxposur
shame on you sir. picking up girls on the intertubes! squidboobs, a/s/l? =D

yellowbkpk
nullxposur, how dare you! squidboobs? Her nick is obviously squidboots.
squidboots, a/s/l? =D

MarlonBain
Jesus christ, I haven't seen this many idiots trip over their dicks since the midget with huge dick special olympics.

privatehuff
Midgets with huge dicks? a/s/l? =D

nanofiggis
shame on your sir, picking up midgets on the intertubes!

jaxspider
nanofights, how dare you! midgets? The PC name is little people.
Little poeple, a/s/l? =D

Benjaphar
Jesus christ, I haven't seen this many idiots desperate for midget cock since the after party for Lord of the Rings premiere.

facilis
LotR Premiere After-Party Attendees? a/s/l =D

Phazon
Shame on your sir, picking up LotR Premiere After-Party Attendees on the intertubes!

Et cetera ...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:00 pm
A little sumpin' for the humanities geeks:

Alex, The Postmodernist
by MARK LEYNER

JENNY JONES: Boy, we have a show for you today! Recently, the University of Virginia philosopher Richard Rorty made the stunning declaration that nobody has "the foggiest idea" what postmodernism means. "It would be nice to get rid of it," he said. "It isn't exactly an idea; it's a word that pretends to stand for an idea." This shocking admission that there is no such thing as postmodernism has produced a firestorm of protest around the country. Thousands of authors, critics and graduate students who'd considered themselves postmodernists are outraged at the betrayal. Today we have with us a writer-a recovering postmodernist-who believes that his literary career and personal life have been irreparably damaged by the theory, and who feels defrauded by the academics who promulgated it. He wishes to remain anonymous, so we'll call him "Alex."

JENNY JONES TO ALEX: Alex, as an adolescent, before you began experimenting with postmodernism, you considered yourself--what?

[Close shot of ALEX. An electronic blob obscures his face. Words appear at bottom of screen: "Says he was traumatized by postmodernism and blames academics."]

ALEX (his voice electronically altered): A high modernist. Y'know, Pound, Eliot, Georges Braque, Wallace Stevens, Arnold Schoenberg, Mies van der Rohe. I had all of Schoenberg's 78's.

JENNY JONES: And then you started reading people like Jean-Francois Lyotard and Jean Baudrillard--how did that change your feelings about your modernist heroes?

ALEX: I suddenly felt that they were, like, stifling and canonical.

JENNY JONES: That is so sad, such a waste. How old were you when you first read Fredric Jameson?

ALEX: Nine, I think.

[The AUDIENCE gasps.]

JENNY JONES: We have some pictures of young Alex. ... [We see snapshots of 14-year-old ALEX reading Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari's "Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia." The AUDIENCE oohs and ahs.]

ALEX: We used to go to a friend's house after school--y'know, his parents were never home--and we'd read, like, Paul Virilio and Julia Kristeva.

JENNY JONES: So you're only 14, and you're already skeptical toward the "grand narratives" of modernity, you're questioning any belief system that claims universality or transcendence. Why?

ALEX: I guess--to be cool.

JENNY JONES: So, peer pressure?

ALEX: I guess.

JENNY JONES: And do you remember how you felt the very first time you entertained the notion that you and your universe are constituted by language-that reality is a cultural construct, a "text" whose meaning is determined by infinite associations with other "texts"?

ALEX: Uh, it felt, like, good. I wanted to do it again.

[The AUDIENCE groans.]

JENNY JONES: You were arrested at about this time?

ALEX: For spray-painting "The Hermeneutics of Indeterminacy" on an overpass.

JENNY JONES: You're the child of a mixed marriage-right?

ALEX: My father was a de Stijl Wittgensteinian and my mom was a neo-pre-Raphaelite.

JENNY JONES: Do you think that growing up in a mixed marriage made you more vulnerable to postmodernism?

ALEX: Absolutely. It's hard when you're a little kid not to be able to just come right out and say (sniffles), y'know, I'm an Imagist or I'm a phenomenologist or I'm a post-painterly abstractionist. It's really hard-especially around the holidays. (He cries.)

JENNY JONES: I hear you. Was your wife a postmodernist?

ALEX: Yes. She was raised avant-pop, which is a fundamentalist offshoot of postmodernism.

JENNY JONES: How did she react to Rorty's admission that postmodernism was essentially a hoax?

ALEX: She was devastated. I mean, she's got all the John Zorn albums and the entire Semiotext(e) series. She was crushed.

[We see ALEX'S WIFE in the audience, weeping softly, her hands covering her face.]

JENNY JONES: And you were raising your daughter as a postmodernist?

ALEX: Of course. That's what makes this particularly tragic. I mean, how do you explain to a 5-year-old that self-consciously recycling cultural detritus is suddenly no longer a valid art form?

JENNY JONES: Tell us how you think postmodernism affected your career as a novelist.

ALEX: I disavowed writing that contained real ideas or any real passion. My work became disjunctive, facetious and nihilistic. It was all metastatic irony, a pernicious banality palimpsest of media pastiche. I found myself indiscriminately incorporating any and all kinds of pop kitsch and shlock. (He begins to weep again.)

JENNY JONES: And this spilled over into your personal life?

ALEX: It was impossible for me to experience life with any emotional intensity. I couldn't control the irony anymore. I perceived my own feelings as if they were in quotes. I italicized everything and everyone. It became impossible for me to appraise the quality of anything. To me everything was equivalent--the Brandenburg Concertos and the Lysol jingle had the same value.... (He breaks down, sobbing.)

JENNY JONES: Now, you're involved in a lawsuit, aren't you?

ALEX: Yes. I'm suing the Modern Language Association.

JENNY JONES: How confident are you about winning?

ALEX: We need to prove that, while they were actively propounding it, academics knew all along that postmodernism was a specious theory. If we can unearth some intradepartmental memos--y'know, a paper trail-any corroboration that they knew postmodernism was worthless cant at the same time they were teaching it, then I think we have an excellent shot.

JENNY JONES wades into audience and proffers microphone to a woman.

WOMAN (with lateral head-bobbing): It's ironic that Barry Scheck is representing the M.L.A. in this litigation because Scheck is the postmodern attorney par excellence. This is the guy who's made a career of volatilizing truth in the simulacrum of exculpation!

VOICE FROM AUDIENCE: You go, girl!

WOMAN: Scheck is the guy who came up with the quintessentially postmodern re-bleed defense for O.J., which claims that O.J. merely vigorously shook Ron and Nicole, thereby re-aggravating pre-existing knife wounds. I'd just like to say to any client of Barry-lose that zero and get a hero!

The AUDIENCE cheers wildly.

[Dissolve to message on screen: If you believe that mathematician Andrew Wiles's proof of Fermat's last theorem has caused you or a member of your family to dress too provocatively, call (800) 555-9455.]

[Dissolve back to studio. In the audience, JENNY JONES extends the microphone to a man in his mid-30's with a scruffy beard and a bandana around his head.]

MAN WITH BANDANA: I'd like to say that this "Alex" is the single worst example of pointless irony in American literature, and this whole heartfelt renunciation of postmodernism is a ploy -- it's just more irony.

[The AUDIENCE whistles and hoots.]

ALEX: You think this is a ploy?! [He tears futilely at the electronic blob.] This is my face!

The AUDIENCE recoils in horror.

ALEX: This is what can happen to people who naively embrace postmodernism, to people who believe that the individual -- the autonomous, individualist subject -- is dead. They become a palimpsest of media pastiche -- a mask of metastatic irony.

JENNY JONES (biting lip and shaking her head): That is so sad. Alex -- final words?

ALEX: I'd just like to say that self-consciousness and irony seem like fun at first, but they can destroy your life. I know. You gotta be earnest, be real. Real feelings are important. Objective reality does exist.

[AUDIENCE members whoop, stomp, and pump fists in the air.]

JENNY JONES: I'd like to thank Alex for having the courage to come on today and share his experience with us.

Join us for tomorrow's show, "The End of Manichean, Bipolar Geopolitics Turned My Boyfriend Into an Insatiable Sex Freak (and I Love It!)."
DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:29 pm
From Fark: Best Code Comment Ever

Quote:
// At this point, I'd like to take a moment to speak to you about the Adobe PSD format.
// PSD is not a good format. PSD is not even a bad format. Calling it such would be an
// insult to other bad formats, such as PCX or JPEG. No, PSD is an abysmal format. Having
// worked on this code for several weeks now, my hate for PSD has grown to a raging fire
// that burns with the fierce passion of a million suns.
// If there are two different ways of doing something, PSD will do both, in different
// places. It will then make up three more ways no sane human would think of, and do those
// too. PSD makes inconsistency an art form. Why, for instance, did it suddenly decide
// that *these* particular chunks should be aligned to four bytes, and that this alignement
// should *not* be included in the size? Other chunks in other places are either unaligned,
// or aligned with the alignment included in the size. Here, though, it is not included.
// Either one of these three behaviours would be fine. A sane format would pick one. PSD,
// of course, uses all three, and more.
// Trying to get data out of a PSD file is like trying to find something in the attic of
// your eccentric old uncle who died in a freak freshwater shark attack on his 58th
// birthday. That last detail may not be important for the purposes of the simile, but
// at this point I am spending a lot of time imagining amusing fates for the people
// responsible for this Rube Goldberg of a file format.
// Earlier, I tried to get a hold of the latest specs for the PSD file format. To do this,
// I had to apply to them for permission to apply to them to have them consider sending
// me this sacred tome. This would have involved faxing them a copy of some document or
// other, probably signed in blood. I can only imagine that they make this process so
// difficult because they are intensely ashamed of having created this abomination. I
// was naturally not gullible enough to go through with this procedure, but if I had done
// so, I would have printed out every single page of the spec, and set them all on fire.
// Were it within my power, I would gather every single copy of those specs, and launch
// them on a spaceship directly into the sun.
//
// PSD is not my favourite file format.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:36 pm
@Shapeless,
shapeless, that was a hoot.

In my mind, the old Monty Python gang was doing it
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:45 pm
@Shapeless,
Wonderful!!!!

Quote:
ALEX: Of course. That's what makes this particularly tragic. I mean, how do you explain to a 5-year-old that self-consciously recycling cultural detritus is suddenly no longer a valid art form?

Quote:
ALEX: Absolutely. It's hard when you're a little kid not to be able to just come right out and say (sniffles), y'know, I'm an Imagist or I'm a phenomenologist or I'm a post-painterly abstractionist. It's really hard-especially around the holidays. (He cries.)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 01:31 am
Evolution of Arithmetic Tests
1960s Arithmetic Test:

"A logger cuts and sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is four-fifths of that amount. What is his profit?"

'70s new-math test:

"A logger exchanges a set L of lumber for a set M of money. The cardinality of set M is 100. The set C of production costs contains 20 fewer points. What is the cardinality of Set P of profits?"

'80s "dumbed down" version:

"A logger cuts and sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost is $80, his profit is $20. Find and circle the number 20."

'90s version:

"An unenlightened logger cuts down a beautiful stand of 100 trees in order to make a $20 profit. Write an essay explaining how you feel about this as a way to make money. Topic for discussion: How did the forest birds and squirrels feel?"
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 04:15 pm
@Shapeless,
Quote:
It was impossible for me to experience life with any emotional intensity. I couldn't control the irony anymore. I perceived my own feelings as if they were in quotes. I italicized everything and everyone. It became impossible for me to appraise the quality of anything. To me everything was equivalent--the Brandenburg Concertos and the Lysol jingle had the same value.... (He breaks down, sobbing.)

That's amazing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 05:45 pm
http://imgur.com/nb3e3.png
nimh

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:23 pm
http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/pics/274.gif