https://new.uschess.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Chess-Lesson-Books.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 08:14 am

https://i.imgur.com/yRkqicD.jpg
chai2

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 01:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
I only get bothered by that when it's one of those big Texas pickup trucks behind me, and the driver is being all macho. It doesn't matter if you're in the slow lane, and they have plenty of space to pass. They just want to tailgate everybody.
I just flip the lever on my review mirror to the night position and go on my way.

How it works...

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 09:17 am

https://i.imgur.com/TDaCARY.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 09:25 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I only get bothered by that when it's one of those big Texas pickup trucks behind me, and the driver is being all macho. It doesn't matter if you're in the slow lane, and they have plenty of space to pass. They just want to tailgate everybody.

I encourage them to go around by turning the slow lane into the slower lane....
chai2

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 10:43 am
@DrewDad,
Nah. That's just being passive aggressive. Not into that.

Also, not into that making the other person potentially escalate against me, or someone else in 5 minutes because now they're all ragey.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 12:05 pm
@chai2,
If they escalate, you escalate. The key is to stay one step ahead. After they pass me I speed up right behind them with my high beams on.

Once they realize that I am nastier and more insane then they are, they back down.

I have found that serving from side to side in my lane helps sell my point that I am crazier than they are.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 01:34 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Nah. That's just being passive aggressive. Not into that.

Also, not into that making the other person potentially escalate against me, or someone else in 5 minutes because now they're all ragey.

I don't think it's escalating.

If you want someone to pass you, you pull over to the side of the lane as much as you can and slow down so it's easier for them to pass you.

This is true on a 2 lane road and on a freeway.
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 02:45 pm
@maporsche,
I agree about the pulling over, but that's done less and less in the US, and I've seen signs about not driving on the side of the road. So there is a legal aspect to it.

I had never seen people do that until I moved to Texas over 20 years ago, and by that time it was only the old timers who did it. It's gone by the wayside, no pun intended. I think here people are also afraid to run over something and puncturing their tires.

Now in Mexico, the pulling over thing is not only a constant thing, but many people simply drive with their cars halfway across side line, so that only half of their car is in the actual road. I do it now down there as well, and just pull over to the left to pass, and move back over. In addition, if you're passing someone on the left, you leave your blinker on all while you're doing it, so the cars behind you know you are in passing mode, and will be moving back to the right momentarily.

Lastly, if you're going to make a left hand turn when you're on a well traveled highway, you pull All the way over to the right, onto the side of the road, with your left turn signal going, and you sit and watch for a break in the traffic both ways, then cross over. Doing as we do in the States, stopping in the middle of the road to turn left, even with your blinker going, is a sure fire way to get plowed into from behind.

Because of all the above, tailgating is basically non existent.

In my personal opinion, I think Americans are afflicted with a bad case of the "I'll show you's"

I'll show you for going slower than I want you to, and tail gate you.
I'll show you for tailgating me, and slow down, and not even think about if you have the opportunity to pass.
I'll show you for needing to pull in front of me so you can turn off the road
And so forth.
Our egos are so stupidly bound up in this driving experience, and having the control, when all we're really doing is going from point A to point B, and tailgating, speeding, passing or preventing someone from passing will not get us to point B any faster, or if it does, by literally only a minute or 2.

Then, when we get there, we'll sit in our cars checking our texts for the time we "saved"

In any event, it doesn't matter what the driver slowing down so the other can pass is feeling, it's all about How the person tailgating you is interpreting it.

They are already "showing you" to not drive slower than they want by being on your ass. I don't have to wonder much how they will interpret you slowing down.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 03:03 pm
Wondering if some peeps here might need their geek licenses suspended for awhile. There's a distinct lack of nerdiness or humor in this thread right now. Confused Surprised

Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 03:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
It doesn't make much difference to this average IQ senior citizen who doesn't understand "geek and nerd" people, although I have many friends who are very intelligent. Amongst them are college professors, rocket scientist, physicist, doctors, and businessmen and women. The average IQ of PhD/MD degree recipients is about 125, which is higher than 95 percent of the general population.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 03:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Wondering if some peeps here might need their geek licenses suspended for awhile. There's a distinct lack of nerdiness or humor in this thread right now. Confused Surprised

Wink

Sorrrrrryyyyyyyy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2018 06:52 pm
Well I'm not sure this one counts (could go in dogs or bad jokes, but Steven seems needy Wink )

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/5b/59/23/5b592324e833c221b11adee909d7c505.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:58 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Well I'm not sure this one counts (could go in dogs or bad jokes, but Steven seems needy Wink )

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/5b/59/23/5b592324e833c221b11adee909d7c505.jpg

Crying or Very sad (✿ ♥‿♥) Crying or Very sad (´▽`ʃƪ)♡ Crying or Very sad
((happy tears a flowing))
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 08:31 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I'll show you for tailgating me, and slow down, and not even think about if you have the opportunity to pass.

More along the lines of "that's not a safe distance."

Also, I've never done this where they don't have a choice of lanes, or if they seem to be in a genuine emergency. I've given folks honking and flashing lights the benefit of the doubt.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:11 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/15/ac/ae/15acae5d317df7cc43969b98c3a1b188.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 10:14 am
@hingehead,
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2018 04:28 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d3/53/92/d35392668226666eaac2032822987dcd.jpg
cicerone imposter