The 83rd Save Rain Forest Thread

Stradee

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:14 am
Good earthturn, wildclickers

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:47 am
@Stradee,
The WildClickers have supported 2,920,760.8 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 218,267.7 square feet.

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,448.7 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,634,044.5 square feet.

~~~

All of my favourite harvest/autumn veggies are arriving in the stores ... hooray! I came home yesterday with three kinds of onions, three kinds of potatoes (or mebbe five <peering into kitchen>), a couple of squash, pretty pretty carrots, cauliflower, two or three types of mushrooms, brussels sprouts, bok choy, turnips ... and then there were gorgeous apples and pears and Christmas clementines ... and for some reason, lots of pretty avocadoes. mmm hmmmmmm mmmmmmm my favourite time of year, harvest veggie season
alex240101

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:49 pm
Clicked. Tired. Late evening yesterday. Wife is over working me. Were not opening up a B and B. O.k, done complaining.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, ehBeth. Harvest time is the best time. And congratulations on the new job!

Here is food for thought:

Top Scientist Rails Against Hirings
Bush Appointees Land Career Jobs Without Technical Backgrounds

By Juliet Eilperin and Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, November 22, 2008; A03

The president of the nation's largest general science organization yesterday sharply criticized recent cases of Bush administration political appointees gaining permanent federal jobs with responsibility for making or administering scientific policies, saying the result would be "to leave wreckage behind."

"It's ludicrous to have people who do not have a scientific background, who are not trained and skilled in the ways of science, make decisions that involve resources, that involve facilities in the scientific infrastructure," said James McCarthy, a Harvard University oceanographer who is president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. "You'd just like to think people have more respect for the institution of government than to leave wreckage behind with these appointments."

His comments came as several new examples surfaced of political appointees gaining coveted, high-level civil service positions as the administration winds down. The White House has said repeatedly that all gained their new posts in an open, competitive process, but congressional Democrats and others questioned why political appointees had won out over qualified federal career employees.

In one recent example, Todd Harding -- a 30-year-old political appointee at the Energy Department -- applied for and won a post this month at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. There, he told colleagues in a Nov. 12 e-mail, he will work on "space-based science using satellites for geostationary and meteorological data." Harding earned a bachelor's degree in government from Kentucky's Centre College, where he also chaired the Kentucky Federation of College Republicans.

danon5

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:24 pm
@sumac,
Hi sumac and all, thanks for the info.

All clicked down south in NE TX.
sumac

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:24 am
@danon5,
clicked here for the day. Hi all.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:43 am
Good day all ~

Interesting, sue. Thanks

Autumn veggie shopping! Yum

Alex - {giggling} Why not???

Late today getting started for work, etc.

Great day Dan and all Wildclickers

Clicked

alex240101

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@Stradee,
Clicked.
Hope everybodys Monday went well.
Stradee. How many beds does a one couple house need?
ehBeth. Are you getting slammed with all the snow I see Canada has been getting? Nice way to start out your new commute. Slow and easy.
Hello sumac and danon5.
I'll talk to you folks tomorrow.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:43 pm
@alex240101,
alex240101 wrote:
How many beds does a one couple house need?

mmm
looks around
counts

two beds, two sofabeds, two sets of mattresses in the basement for my friend's son and his friend, an air mattress bed, and enough lounger pads to sleep 3 more

two adults, no kids ... but sometimes there's a pile o company
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:45 pm
@Stradee,
The Autumn Wildclickers have supported 2,920,871.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 218,319.6 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,634,103.7 square feet.

~~~~

a bit of snow here, nothing like the Maritimes though - or like Tai Chi's been getting Shocked

my friend (and occasional a2k poster) brendalee went up to visit her daughter last week - apparently they've had something like 80 cm of snow since then - that's getting close to three feet of snow!

danon5

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Three feet!! As we say down South - "Hell, that ain't nothin." Grin.. While in Fairbanks, AK I and all the neighbors had our autos covered with snow. The lot was level and white. Took all day to dig them out.

Still creakin down here.
sumac

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:23 am
@danon5,
Creaking here too, especially when I first get up in the morning. Clicked here.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:49 am
@alex240101,
Alex, at least 4. Visualize your new garden - and cooking breakfast for eight people each day. (i'm not helping, am i)

The rush for Thanksgiving shopping began Monday, and won't end until late Wednesday evening. Hectic

Rain today, hurray, and snow for Tahoe.

Stay safe while commuting and traveling, Wildclickers.

Beth ~ the hostess with the mostest Autumn veggies on the planet. Smile

Sue and Dan ~ all creaked

alex240101

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
@Stradee,
Hello. Tuesday today. I can almost smell the turkey. Stomach stretching exercises.
Stradee. No. You are not helping, but, the point is mute, because, I will fib to my wife, and say that my good ole buddy ole pals on the computer agree with me one hundred and ten percent.
ehBeth. The above statement includes your sleeping capacity.
Hello danon5 and sumac. Hope all is well.
Good day.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:18 pm
@alex240101,
hehehehehe

we won't be mute, but the point is moot Very Happy

~~~~

Food-obsessed WildClickers and their friends have supported 2,920,975.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 218,371.4 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,634,155.5 square feet.
danon5

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:34 pm
@ehBeth,
WE, here in the down south, NE, TX are having - Duck..........!!

With all the great trimmings you could think of............!!!!

Try and guess!!!!!!!

Awaiting - !!!!!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:37 pm
@danon5,
duck should have red cabbage and definitely potato dumplings and something green for health or is it for good luck? Wink

we're going to have a Thanksgiving meal for Set on the weekend. I'm only sure of two things - grilled salmon and home made New England clam chowder. Everything else is up for negotiation.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:27 am
Wild brown rice and chutney.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:29 am
Traditional Thanksgiving here with one guest for company. Thanksgiving alone is no fun.

The following is no surprise, but I'm glad to see it reported so prominently.

Ex-Interior Official Charged With Taking Payments

By Derek Kravitz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 26, 2008; A04

A former Interior Department official has been charged with accepting payments from business leaders in exchange for arranging meetings with government officials in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Edgar A. Johnson, 59, of Bowie, who left his position at Interior's Office of Insular Affairs last year, was charged Monday in U.S. District Court in Washington with one count of honest services wire fraud, a felony, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, a $250,000 fine or both. An arraignment date has not been set.

Johnson, who held federal jobs for nearly 30 years, most recently was director of the technical assistance division, which provides funding to U.S. territories and private companies to increase self-sufficiency and encourage private-sector investment.

Prosecutors allege that Johnson, whose annual salary was $121,000, used his position to obtain illegal payments from businesses seeking deals with the Virgin Islands. He accepted $10,000 during a meeting on Aug. 21, 2007, in exchange for introducing unnamed business leaders to senior government officials, "so those individuals could pitch insurance business," according to court documents.

He also expected to get a cut in future business deals, prosecutors allege.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 01:33 pm
Good earthturn all ~

Alex, point mooted...LOL

Thanksgiving's taking place Saturday at daughters. Family and friends decided that mommie {thattabe me} shouldn't sit in traffic four hours. So, i'll be home with my three babies and new puter and will celbrate the feast with family and friends Saturday - but am preparing a small feast for me and the babes.
Veggies {how did anyone guess} garlic mashed potatoes, and hot apple pie. Smile

Clicking for the last time on old puter ( saved for posterity} and will be online again this evening {hopefully}

Wishing all a good day ~