The 83rd Save Rain Forest Thread

alex240101

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:15 am
@Stradee,
Tomato, cheese, fresh bread. Let me go out to the garden, and pick a fresh tomato, oh wait, tomato plants don't grow in the snow. I like your recipe Stradee. Especially the fact that the bread is baked, not grilled.
ehBeth. Neat song. Never heard it before.
The cheese: http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Products/ProductInfoDisplay.aspx?SiteId=1&Product=2100061250
The bread: http://arnold.gwbakeries.com/product.cfm/upc/7341000200
Clicking. Have a nice day everyone.
sumac

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:30 am
Hi all. Dusting of snow this morning. Will go click now.
Stradee

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:49 am
Epic Whale
Navy can use sonar despite risk of whale harm, says Supreme Court

In a big setback for whales and environmentalists, the U.S. Supreme Court has yanked restrictions on sonar use in Navy training exercises near the California coast. The court, which split 5-4, didn't quibble with the Navy's own estimates that sonar can lead to substantial and irreparable harm to whales. However, the majority opinion stated that those concerns are "plainly outweighed by the Navy's need to conduct realistic training exercises."

"realistic"???

a sharp eye mates for enemy subs lurking near the coast of California

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:27 am
@alex240101,
Alex, you can also prepare the recipes using a toaster oven as well.

Open face Penini sandwiches also - a good hot lunch in just a few minutes prepared in a toaster oven. French Garlic Cheese bread sliced: mayo, mustard {or whatever sandwich spread preferred} then place on each slice of bread the condiments, the deli meats, then cheese, and place openfaced on the oven rack. When the cheese is melted and the bread toasted, then top with salad greens. There are quite a few variations for Penini. Advocado toppings, marinated morzarella, bell peppers; garlic or Italian seasoned sauces. A good hearty sandwich especially during winter months.

Hi there mz Sue! Glad you're back on line! Smile

Weathers still very mild for the foothills. 70 degrees for today. There's snow in Tahoe though at the higher elevations. Hoping for more rain soon.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:44 am
@sumac,
Good news from American River....

World's Largest Dam Removal Project Announced
After more than six years of leading the fight, American Rivers and our partners reached a historic milestone last week that will result in the world's largest dam removal project. Following years of negotiations, PacifiCorp has agreed to remove four dams on the Klamath River as part of a broader effort to restore the river and revive its ailing salmon and steelhead runs, and aid fishing, tribal, and farming communities.

http://www.americanrivers.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=12025

danon5

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:01 am
@Stradee,
Ok. Here is a tasty snack - sort of hummussy.

Place a can of drained Chick Peas in blender.
Begin to blend - add olive oil little at a time till it's like heavy cream.
Add dash of lemon juice and garlic to taste.
Blend a little to mix everything.
Pour in serving dish and then dip it with pieces of Pita bread ripped off the bread.

Clicked.

Oh, Stradee, I've flown the entire length of the Klamath river as part of a photo job my Seattle company had with the Army Corps of Engineers. I fact I flew and photographed every inch of all the waters edges for the entire state. Big job. But, fun flying.
Stradee

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:42 am
@danon5,
Good holiday recipe, Dan. Thanks

California and Oregon have some of the most awsome waterways - the Rouge River, Klamath, American River, etc. Shasta's wild habitat, Lassens old growth forests. Restoration and improvements {sans frankentrees} for future generations is so important, imo.

What a great job, Dan! Interesting, fun, their airplane! How cool is that!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
Bush’s last rule-making hurrah article a well of info - where you can find the list of last minute regs - who to write during the public comment period, and how to find regs nobody's even heard of yet!

The boy's catering to special interest groups per usual - mostly energy and oil company buddies - and hoping the new laws will be etched in stone so Obama will have difficulty tossing the most damaging to the enviornment laws out.

politics

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20081121/pl_ynews/ynews_pl158

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:55 pm
@Stradee,
The WildClickers have supported 2,920,642.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 218,223.3 square feet.

American Prairie habitat supported: 68,448.7 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,633,970.4 square feet.

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
<clap, clap, clap!!>

Well done, WildClickers!

Take a bow!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:07 pm
@msolga,
from April 2005

You and your 283 friends have supported 1,815,379.9 square feet!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:11 pm
@ehBeth,
September 2004

http://able2know.org/topic/33597-2#post-903228

when we moved the WildClickers completely over from Abuzz to A2k
danon5

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:15 pm
@Stradee,
Today, I watched an old movie titled, 'Lies and Crime.'

My first thought about the title was George W. Bush and VP Cheney. Both the biggest thieves of our money in the history of the USA. In our world with internet related sets of sites and blogs - they will NEVER get away with what past presidents have done to hide their wrong doings. History will have to over ride the blessings that "Dubya" will have in his liberry - as he would pronounce it. What idiots we were to re-elect him - on second thought, we didn't. His father did. In the background - with the help of the Scull's, and his rich friends.

Glad that's over.

I do believe our next president will be the best president within decades of our past. He is soooooo much more intelligent and smarter than Bush that even rednecks down here can tell the difference.
sumac

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:09 am
@sumac,
Good news re the dam, Stradee. Bad news for endangered species in other respects though. See below.

New Rule Would Discount Warming as Risk Factor for Species

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 21, 2008; A03

The Bush administration is finalizing changes to the Endangered Species Act that would ensure that federal agencies would not have to take global warming into account when assessing risks to imperiled plants and animals.

The proposed rule changes, which were obtained by The Washington Post, are under review by the Office of Management and Budget and are close to being published in the Federal Register.

The main purpose of the new regulations, which were first unveiled in August, is to eliminate a long-standing provision of the Endangered Species Act that requires an independent scientific review by either the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of any federal project that could affect a protected species. Under the administration's proposal, individual agencies could decide on their own whether a project would harm an imperiled species.

The latest version of the rule goes further than the language Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne issued in August by explicitly excluding climate change from the factors that would trigger an interagency consultation. The move is significant because the administration has listed polar bears as a threatened species under the act on the grounds that their sea-ice habitat is shrinking, but Kempthorne has repeatedly argued that this move should not trigger a federal curb on greenhouse gas emissions linked to the melting of sea ice.

The rule states: "Federal agencies are not required to consult on an action when . . . the effects of such action are manifested only through global processes and (i) cannot be reliably predicted or measured at the local scale, or (ii) would result at most in an extremely small, insignificant local impact, or (iii) are such that the potential risk of harm to species or habitat are remote."

John Kostyak, director of wildlife conservation and global warming at the National Wildlife Federation, said not only would the rule block federal officials from considering a carbon cap to help preserve the polar bear's habitat, "you have to question whether this is going to stop us from looking at the loss of snowpack and its impact on salmon."

The interagency consultations matter, Kostyak argued, because they sometimes avert federal projects that might have a devastating effect on vulnerable species, as in the case of a limestone mine that was blocked in 2004 because it would have harmed the Florida panther's habitat.

"The agencies that are pushing these projects through are inherently biased, because they want to get these projects through at a minimal cost and they don't like delays associated with endangered species," he said.

Interior Department spokeswoman Tina Kreisher said the administration is close to issuing a final rule but is still reviewing the language for potential changes. Interior has classified the proposal as "a minor rule," which means the government has determined that it would not have a major economic impact. It will take effect 30 days after being published in the Federal Register.
Quote:
Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
OMG - so good reading the posting from wildclickers who still check the threads occasionally - and CLICK!

We're the #1 team four years now! Amazing work, WildClickers! Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:59 am
@danon5,
Dan, restoring American credibility, getting rid of gwb's administration and especially the Department of the Interior's oil company cronies. There is so much work to be done, and you're correct. Obama is up for the task, and so far his administration choices are right on {except maybe Leiberman - but who knows why} Obama just may be able to create a good balance and that's all we can hope for. Enviornmentally, we're looking at green jobs and the restoration of the economy. I predict that by Spring of next year, we should begin seeing a change for the better.

gwb and cheney are outta here!!!

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:44 pm
@sumac,
sue, every president leaving the wh passes regs {or attempts to} and many are overturned immediately when the new president takes office. We saw what bush did within the first 10 days.

Quote:
"The agencies that are pushing these projects through are inherently biased, because they want to get these projects through at a minimal cost and they don't like delays associated with endangered species," he said.

IF that rule should be enacted - lets hope that Obama's choices for those agencies are people who care for the enviornment and actually read impact studies {and arn't owned by the energy and oil companies} people that were dismissed by gw for standing up for the enviornment and habitat at the BLM and Fish & Game. Every Federal Agency house needs cleaning, imo.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:48 pm

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
danon5

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 04:26 pm
@Stradee,
Thanks, sumac and Stradee for the interesting reads.

I'm confident that our now lower gas prices will soar right after Obama takes office. The gas giants are all in HW's pocket and he's doing this for some personal reason - IMHO

More trees asmilin today.
Stradee

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
@danon5,
In the county where i live, there are 800 families eating meals at the Salvation Army and other charitable organizations. The majority of folks had jobs, and drove to work just a few months ago.

I honestly can't see the price of gas increasing when people can't afford to buy food, shop, pay for child care, home maintenance, rents, mortgages, etc. When people begin cutting expenses by eliminating services, then the entire community is affected.

0 Replies