will/would

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:06 am
We know a successful deployment of a biological weapon, whether it's spread over a city or injected into our water, will/would cause millions of deaths.

I would like to know which word in bold should be used. I think that 'will' should be used because of the underlined words, especially 'successful deployment'.

Am I correct?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 6
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:26 am
@tanguatlay,

No. Would. It's conditional.
Francis

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:32 am
@tanguatlay,
I'm not talking about grammar but from a logical point of view I would say the word is would.

As it never happened before (millions of deaths), one can only assume it will happen, although we are not sure.
If there's a probability, but we are not completely sure, we should use the word would.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:35 am
@McTag,
Oy, a very skilled native speaker replied already!

Hi, McT!
McTag

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:38 am
@Francis,

And briefer than that Frenchman.

Hi, Francis, long time no see!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 04:43 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I'm not talking about grammar but from a logical point of view I would say the word is would.

As it never happened before (millions of deaths), one can only assume it will happen, although we are not sure.
If there's a probability, but we are not completely sure, we should use the word would.

Grammar doesn't determine word choice, Francis. Grammar is dictated by logical points of view, what it is that a speaker wants/needs to say.

You're right that would would be the most likely choice but that certainly doesn't exclude will. If a speaker wants to give the feeling that this situation is imminent, that it could happen, say and idiot like Bush ranting about Saddam, then will would be fine.

It all depends on what the speaker views and the impression the speaker wants to leave.

And it isn't that it is conditional. will can easily be used in a conditional fashion.

If I go to London, I'll be sure to give McTag a call. =

Upon the condition that I go to London, ...

0 Replies

Ajames

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:54 am
@tanguatlay,
Will
0 Replies