Can we start calling conservatives "unpatriotic"?

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:57 pm
I mean, I'm reading stuff about taking down their American flags down from their house and all....

George

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:23 pm
@Ferostie,
I'm only reading about one.
He has struck the colors and turned his back on his country.
I call him a whole lot worse than "unpatriotic".
JTT

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:26 pm
@Ferostie,
That is simply a return to sanity.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:40 pm
@Ferostie,
No, don't go there. We are all Americans and we ought not to act with malice towards those who feel that they lost their home in America in the election, because while I thought that I had lost mine in 2000 and 2004, I never lost faith that my country would come home to me, which it now has done.

Quote:
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

http://www.readyaiminspire.com/images/last_lincoln.jpg

If the leader of the winning side in a civil war that cost this country 600,000 people could extend his hand in generosity and conciliation towards the losing side, who are we to do otherwise in less angry times?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:41 pm
@Ferostie,
Ferostie wrote:

I mean, I'm reading stuff about taking down their American flags down from their house and all....

If we start painting stereotypes with the same wide brush, how will we know which of us are the conservatives?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:45 pm
@George,
Quote:

I'm only reading about one.
He has struck the colors and turned his back on his country.
I call him a whole lot worse than "unpatriotic".

That is because u don 't understand the words that u use.
Ignorant.
George

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That is because u don 't understand the words that u use.
Ignorant.

I understand them quite well.
And they fit you equally well.
You do not deserve to live in this country.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:50 pm
@George,
George, please don't quote him. It defeats the purpose of the ignore feature. Thanks.
George

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, I know what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Dave...

yer swingin' at air...

go bed, and in the morning, give yer gun a hug.

(and take some extra meds, yes???)

hugs,

rocky
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:05 pm
@Ferostie,
Quote:
Can we start calling conservatives "unpatriotic"?

Feel free.
kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:02 pm
@gungasnake,
i don't and won't.

perhaps, that is what separates us as americans.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:10 pm
@Ferostie,
Ferostie wrote:

"We" could do all manner of dumb things.

Personally, I think that
a. Patriotism is silly.

b. Using stupid wanne-be insults that extreme conservatives misuse against others against them is stupid squared.

c. I think rococco uber-patriotic dramatic shows like flags on houses are dumb anyway, so taking them down is a nice, tasteful thing to do and should be applauded.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:28 pm
@gungasnake,
As gunga says, "Feel free".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:37 pm
Feel free, while u still can
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:53 am
By using terms similar to those folks, you bcome them and Im sure thats not what you wish to convey. Letting the disatisfied individuals posture and kvetch for a time is what we are about.
I find it more of a learning xperience to see how the thinking of several folks is affected by this loss. They hadnt suffered a "culture" defeat in several presidential elections yet they are failing to recognize that the problem is theirs . (They didnt have a great candidate, and the one they had couldnt differentiate himself from the hated regime that everyone recognizes had gone totally the wrong way).
So now, whenever they suffer a setback, they seem to want to fall on their swords rather than getting back up and going back to their basic beliefs to help solve the problems that even they agree , exist in our land.

I posed a thought yesterday that DAve is demonstrating classic Kubler Ross stages of grief (as if he discovered he had a terminal illness). The way I see it Dave is in stage 3 (stages are denial, anger, bargaining, depression,acceptance). He is doing a demo of anger transition ing to Bargaining right now. Its fascinating seeing these stages manifest themselves in an election result.
I suppose that the conservatives really believed that their support of McCain was a "majority view". After finding out that their candidate was repudiated, they are looking for some really bizarre reasons for their loss.

MAybe a simple analysis re: McCains electability was simply
1He is so out of touch with whats going on in the US now

2He tried to pose himself as an "Instrument of change".

3His judgement facilities had to be questioned, especially with hi choice of a VP candidate.

4. He was a "faux conservative" who tried to renounce his moderate views. That was a bad decision

0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:06 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

George, please don't quote him. It defeats the purpose of the ignore feature. Thanks.
what is the ignore feature?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:43 am
I recall a few individuals threatening to move 4 years ago when Bush was elected. I don't remember any of them following through with it. Taking down a flag is the same thing. It is simply a knee-jerk reaction to something they do not like. For 16 years now, we have endured two presidents who for whatever reason have polarized us to extremes. I think it is past time that we bury the hatchet and whether we voted for Obama or for someone else, stop the ridiculous hatred of the other party's president simply because he has a different belief of the direction our country should travel.

I'm not saying one side should lay down and let the other side run roughshod over us. I am saying it is past time to argue policy, discuss ideas, etc. and not descend to the depths of hatred that will tear us apart.

I did not vote for Obama. I did not wish him to be president. I do however hope and pray that he does a good job as president. I will continue to oppose his ideas with which I disagree. That is a given.

Ok, enough posturing on my part. My son always says I tend to get into lecturing mode everytime I have a serious discussion with him. That may explain why I don't often get too serious here on a2k. And now y'all know why. Wink

As Kuvasz said, we are all Americans. It is my hope we will act like it for the next 4 years.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:54 am
@CoastalRat,
By George, despite a few noodnicky posts, I actually think we will endure as a nation!! Excellent post there CR.
0 Replies