things were great, but she has backed off...

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:02 pm
Hi,

My first time in this forum, I have been dating a widow and am running up against something that has confused and frustrated me. I am hoping that some of you might have insight or advice to share.

Her husband died three years ago, and she has dated several other men since. I met her a few months ago, and we really hit it off. Great connection in every way, and really had fun with each other. Lots of feedback from her that she felt this way too, and that our relationship was way better than any other she has experienced. She seems very straightforward and honest, bright and emotionally healthy, and ready to date. No issues talking about her husband, nor the grieving process she has gone through, etc. FYI, she has two young kids.

We became intimate physically after about a month (so that you know, I was not her first sex partner since her husband.) The several times we were intimate seemed to be very much mutually enjoyable experiences- trust me on this. Then abruptly, about six weeks ago, she told me that she was uncomfortable with something that had happened in the bedroom. I will try to avoid TMI here, and just say that the issue in question seems minor (trust me on this, too- no freaky business, and something that I think would be easily resolved by two mature adults)- in short, it doesn’t add up. After some discussion, some tabling of the discussion, and continuing to see each other- though no sex- she said that she doesn’t think she can get past it, a key phrase being “it was just a little too much reality”. I let it be for a week, and when we did talk again I told her I would still like to see her, but recognize that we probably progressed too fast. I proposed that we just go out on dates and have fun, enjoy the things about each other that we did initially, and not resume the physical part. Well, she said yes, sort of (yea!), but not for a while, she wants to take some time apart (boo!). I left well enough alone, and didn’t press for justification or timing. Since then we have traded a short e-mail or two on unrelated matters, but I am not getting any warm fuzzies. I am thinking that this will be tougher to put back together as more time passes, but really don’t want to try too soon.

So, what do you think? What tipped this? I am guessing there could well be issues of guilt (about dating, even though she had dated others since her husband's death), fear (of losing someone again), kid stuff (are they ready for this?), ... or maybe it is exactly what she says it is (the most disappointing of the alternatives for me). Any ideas on how to proceed, timeframe, etc? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

RB

View best answer, chosen by RBlaine2
jespah

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:38 pm
@RBlaine2,
Hi and welcome to A2K.

I'm not sure how much I can help you except that my gut feeling is that she got scared and is using the bedroom thing as an excuse for that. E. g. it's just sort of a general scare (things are getting too serious too soon, or I'm revealing too much to this man too soon, or I'm too comfortable and having serious orgasms too soon or whatever) but it's being projected into that one thing.

Hope that makes some sense.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:02 pm
@RBlaine2,
RBlaine2- Welcome to A2K!

You can't get inside this woman's head. One might speculate that whatever was done hit some kind of nerve within her. Whatever it was, it rattled her enough that she reacted by backing away from you.

If you care for her, take it slow and easy. Invite her to non-threatening situations...................like lunch. There is no way of knowing whether your relationship can be repaired, but if she is important to you, there is no harm trying. Good luck!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
Best guess: using the poker analogy, she is not ready to throw her heart onto the table again, she might never be willing to do it again. She did it once and the dude died on her, maybe it is best to play it safe. She was fine playing with you so long as the stakes were low, so long as it was just for kicks.

Can you take a break and then go back to "being friends", back the relationship down from the sexual intimacy energy level to the friends energy level? I doubt it, I think that this almost never happens, though people argue the point with me. If it were me I would tell her something to the effect of " I want you, I want all of you, if you decide that you might want me in the same way please call" . The odds are that she will not call. But is she does watch out for sparks.

0 Replies

RBlaine2

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:42 pm
@jespah,
thanks to all of you. I think I am discovering what most widows/ers go through, and how that impacts their dating relationships. The observations and advice are most helpful.
RB
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:39 pm
@RBlaine2,
"go through" implies emergence, which is misleading. Not all get over the death of a spouse enough to start a new life with another. Rationally, waiting and hoping that her heart becomes available is a fools bet......it very well may never happen and even if it does it might not be for years. Love is not rational however.
RBlaine2

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye,
thanks for your thoughts. Actually, I did not mean to imply an emergence, it seems that some never do get past it, and of those who do the timing and process varies greatly from person to person. But all do certainly "go through" a process, some just never emerge. As for me, I care for her a lot, and can certainly wait a while, but am living my life. If things start to work out, great. If not, I will move on.
cyphercat

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:35 am
@RBlaine2,
Hi RBlaine, welcome to a2k!

I just thought I'd toss this out there--my mother-in-law lost her husband two years ago, and she recently started to think about dating. She even met a guy and started e-mailing. But then, quite suddenly, she sort of swung backward, from feeling ready to meet new people, to feeling totally freaked out and overwhelmed by the thought. I imagine it might be pretty common to think you're ready to move on and then abruptly feel that it's too much to handle....the healing process is such an untidy, non-linear, unpredictable thing. Sad It's a shame that you ended up getting hurt by it.
RBlaine2

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
@cyphercat,
thank you for your insight. Yes, it seems a very non-linear process. Glad that I have been able to discover that fact. As for me, just disappointed, not heartbroken.
sullyfish6
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 05:45 pm
@RBlaine2,
Well everything was going well and:
"Then abruptly, about six weeks ago, she told me that she was uncomfortable with something that had happened in the bedroom."

Believe me, it was probably much more than just that!

Sometimes a "something " can be a huge something. Apparently, it was much more to her than to you. Did you talk about it? You said it could have been resolved, but you don't say that you two actually talked about it.

Please explore this before it happens again. You got cut off and seem clueless about what really happened!
0 Replies