California Voters Approve Gay-Marriage Ban

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:31 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Well Cyclo--I raised at least three questions.

1--That one single judge, who it has been said is a homosexual, not by me, can overturn a democratic vote which was well publicised. And a judge seeming to me to garner power over the ultimate jury is hardly a surprise either. And one who likes publicity and being headline news fulfills such ridiculous ambitions by his own decision. That's three reasons for him being partial. And each single one a powerful motive.

None of those matter in the slightest; they don't show how anyone was harmed by allowing gays to marry, and what more, your opinions regarding whether or not judges should be able to overturn laws passed by the legislature or body politic are directly contradicted by the fact that our Constitution grants them power to do exactly this. This is the judge's job - to determine whether or not laws are consistent with the Constitutions guarantee of equal rights. Your opinion, and mine even, is immaterial.
Quote:

2- That the language is being denuded of meaning in the sense that the whole constellation of words, phrases and jests surrounding the married state are involved in this radical alteration in the meaning of the word "marriage" just as has happened with the word "gay". I gave examples and I quoted Orwell.
One can no longer sing along with heterosexual integrity to Kalman's Gay Hussars and even those beautiful Sari Viennese waltzes would be a laughing matter if performed by two eyebrow tweezed chaps in tight trousers. The last stage of the Gay Gordon's is where the partners polka romp round the room with whoever they are with when the music stops.

The mind boggles just dipping a toe into the water of that constellation being rendered ambiguous. It's stupifying. Where are America's English Literature teachers?

This is some of the dumbest **** I've ever read. Use the term 'Gay' however you like; nothing stops your ability to do so.

Quote:
3- That heterosexual married couples have a right to the particular distinguishing title "married" and do not want it associated with homosexual activities.

They do not in fact have this 'right.' It is not enumerated or written anywhere in any of our legal documents. It's just something you made up. And it's bullshit homophobia.

Quote:
And, presumably, voted to say so. That they feel it demeans them which lowers their self-esteem and thus harms them.

Aw, are we hurting their poor widdle Feewings? I wouldn't want that to happen! Rolling Eyes They'll get over it.

Quote:
We are in that zone which Shakespeare draws attention to wherin lies have an infinite range of expression and truth is inexpressible. Cordelia in Act I Scene I of King Lear.

I submit, your reverences and worships, that the assertion that there is no harm done is false and therefore the argument that proponents of Prop 8 have no standing in an appeal is also false.

You are wrong on both counts; your arguments are specious and truthfully ridiculous. They have no logical consistency and rely on unsourced assertions for support. In short, you have no actual legal understanding of what 'harm' means, you just don't want to see gays have equal rights and are casting out for ways to justify that opinion. Why not just save time and label yourself a bigot? Much less typing that way.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:31 pm
What do you call a heterosexual? A "lark" from "as gay as a lark".
parados

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:37 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
1--That one single judge, who it has been said is a homosexual, not by me, can overturn a democratic vote which was well publicised. And a judge seeming to me to garner power over the ultimate jury is hardly a surprise either. And one who likes publicity and being headline news fulfills such ridiculous ambitions by his own decision. That's three reasons for him being partial. And each single one a powerful motive.

1. on his alleged homosexuality. If you disqualify for homosexuality then you also have to disqualify for heterosexuality. Who does that leave you with for a judge spendi?
2. judges rule on the law. They have the power based on the Constitution to do so. Your argument is moot since it ignores the facts of what a judge does.
3. You allegation the he likes publicity is unfounded. He didn't chose the case nor can you show a record of the judge trying to get in the news.

Each "powerful motive" is not a motive at all spendi when examined.
old europe

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
That heterosexual married couples have a right to the particular distinguishing title "married" and do not want it associated with homosexual activities. And, presumably, voted to say so. That they feel it demeans them which lowers their self-esteem and thus harms them.

So if a majority of same-race couples didn't want to be associated with interracial activities, and if they felt that allowing interracial marriage demeans them, lowers their self-esteem and thus harms them, then interracial marriage should be illegal?

Should minorities only be granted rights if it doesn't lower the self-esteem of the majority?
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
None of those matter in the slightest; they don't show how anyone was harmed by allowing gays to marry,

The argument is about the word "marry" Cyclo. Your assertion is fatuous. I set out to show harm. To democracy, to the language and to heterosexual couples. You have not contradicted my arguments--you have blurted.

Quote:
Aw, are we hurting their poor widdle Feewings? I wouldn't want that to happen! Rolling Eyes They'll get over it.

What about the feelings of others when certain words are used to refer to them? And that they'll get over it is the precise point. Yes they will and great swathes of literature and folk-lore will be demolished. It is me who is thinking of the situation when they've got over it. You're flavour of the month. What will they do when it is normal to draw attention to themselves. They did look a bit full frontal exhibitionist in the Gay Pride demo in Liverpool last week and on CBS News last night kissing and snogging for the cameras.

It's too late to worry about things like your post. You have obviously got over using English properly and assume everybody else has.
parados

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:57 pm
@spendius,
So, are you going to disinherit us spendi because we don't express our feelings using the words you want spendi? Perhaps you are missing the deeper meanings in Lear.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:02 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
None of those matter in the slightest; they don't show how anyone was harmed by allowing gays to marry,

The argument is about the word "marry" Cyclo. Your assertion is fatuous. I set out to show harm. To democracy, to the language and to heterosexual couples. You have not contradicted my arguments--you have blurted.

You have failed to show how any of those were harmed, at all.

Judges overturning laws for being inconsistent with the Constitution is the heart of Democracy itself. It is inherent to our system.

Language is not a person and cannot be harmed under the law. It has no standing to contest people using terms however they want. You can't argue on behalf of a non-person when discussing harm.

You haven't shown how heterosexual couples are ACTUALLY harmed by allowing gays to marry - you have only asserted that it would 'hurt their feelings' somehow. Neither the law, nor I, give a **** about their feelings one bit.

Your arguments all fail for lack of logic and lack of understanding of the US governmental system.
Quote:

Quote:

What about the feelings of others when certain words are used to refer to them?

**** 'em. I don't care what their 'feelings' are about it. That isn't equal to others enjoying rights.

Quote:
And that they'll get over it is the precise point. Yes they will and great swathes of literature and folk-lore will be demolished.

No, it won't, this is just ridiculous.

Quote:
It is me who is thinking of the situation when they've got over it. You're flavour of the month. What will they do when it is normal to draw attention to themselves. They did look a bit full frontal exhibitionist in the Gay Pride demo in Liverpool last week and on CBS News last night kissing and snogging for the cameras.

So what? I don't care if two men or women kiss or go naked. Nothing could be less important. Why do you care?

Quote:
It's too late to worry about things like your post. You have obviously got over using English properly and assume everybody else has.

We have, here in the States. The language is evolving. You should get used to it. Not that it will matter, as you will be dead soon enough, and we will just keep right on going.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
They continue to make claims they cannot prove. How can one gay couple's marriage in California harm somebody living in, say, England?
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:21 pm
@parados,
Quote:
. If you disqualify for homosexuality then you also have to disqualify for heterosexuality.

Wait a minute. I am talking about overturning Prop 8. If the judge is homosexual then he does have a special interest. I agree the heterosexual judge does also but I submit that the latter is not as politicised about the matter. Not as likely to be militant. It's no use arguing about that because it's an opinion. Our law is to an extent based on what the man on the Clapham Omnibus thinks.

Quote:
Who does that leave you with for a judge spendi?

The celibate of course. (Get out of that.)

Quote:
2. judges rule on the law. They have the power based on the Constitution to do so. Your argument is moot since it ignores the facts of what a judge does.

My comprehension skills are insufficient to embrace the meaning of that. And you have evaded my point about the legal profession garnering power to itself. Do you wish to be ruled by judges.

Quote:
3. You allegation the he likes publicity is unfounded. He didn't chose the case nor can you show a record of the judge trying to get in the news.

Come on mate. Pull the other one it has bells on. They're celebrity mad. He could end up with a career.

And why have Prop 8 in the first place if it had to be ratified by a member of the administrative class. That bursts the separation of powers dogma assunder. Now that is seriously unconstitutional.

That's the big problem here with the European Courts of Justice eroding British sovereignty. Or that of any other EEC member.

There is a hidden motive under every pebble on the beach. It is so naive to think otherwise that it is irrational.

What caused the judge to set aside his stay? What had changed?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:22 pm
@spendius,
spendi, It's not about "special interest;" it's about our Constitution.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They continue to make claims they cannot prove.

For the love of all heaven ci. can you not show why they have not been proved. Asserting it is pointless. You don't read my posts so what the **** do you know about what I set out to prove?

Quote:
How can one gay couple's marriage in California harm somebody living in, say, England?

Why did the French government refuse to ease its restrictions on American movies at a GATT negotiation even when it was offered some juicy quid pro quo to do so? If you read the thread you would know that we get what you do after about a 5 years delay. That's what it has to do with somebody living in England. Only a dickhead would keep asking questions which have already been answered. And a double D cup when continuing with stupid assertions like the first one.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:48 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
So if a majority of same-race couples didn't want to be associated with interracial activities, and if they felt that allowing interracial marriage demeans them, lowers their self-esteem and thus harms them, then interracial marriage should be illegal?

In a democracy if they voted for that yes. But a Christian democracy wouldn't do. It would strike at the foundations of Christianity. It's an entirely different case. Interracial marriage is called "miscegnation". It is still in the dictionaries. As is "mesalliance". So is polygamy and we haven't heard yet why polygamous people should not be allowed to use the word "marriage". That's on Ignore.

You must realise that the more arguments you put on Ignore or blurt assertions against the less likely you are to win your case if it does get to the USSC. I hope: for your sake's.
parados

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:02 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I agree the heterosexual judge does also but I submit that the latter is not as politicised about the matter. Not as likely to be militant.

An interesting argument since it was politicized by heterosexuals introducing Prop 8.

Quote:
The celibate of course. (Get out of that.)

Ah.. and you have no evidence that the judge isn't celibate. Only rumor that he is gay. That means any judge would be disqualified simply on the basis of rumor.

Quote:
And you have evaded my point about the legal profession garnering power to itself. Do you wish to be ruled by judges.
We aren't ruled by judges. We are ruled by laws which judges are by law given the power to make judgements on the law. Do you wish to change the US constitution? If so then pass an amendment. Otherwise your argument is moot because the judge acted within the law and the power given to judges by the law.

Quote:
Come on mate. Pull the other one it has bells on. They're celebrity mad. He could end up with a career.
He has a career. A rather long one it seems without attempts to garner publicity. Your argument is nothing other than speculative nonsense on your part.

Quote:
What caused the judge to set aside his stay? What had changed?
If you have to ask that question then you don't understand the ruling at all. The judge only stayed for a week to allow for an appeal and stay by the appeals court.

Quote:
There is a hidden motive under every pebble on the beach. It is so naive to think otherwise that it is irrational.
And that is why your argument is suspect in motivation as well as having a dearth of facts.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:03 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
In a democracy if they voted for that yes. But a Christian democracy wouldn't do. It would strike at the foundations of Christianity.

So.. Southern US states weren't Christian until the 1960s? That seems an odd argument, don't you think spendi?
parados

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:05 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
So is polygamy and we haven't heard yet why polygamous people should not be allowed to use the word "marriage". That's on Ignore.

You were told why. You are the one that put the argument on ignore. It's settled law when it comes to polygamous marriages. The courts already decided.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:08 pm
@parados,
Quote:
So, are you going to disinherit us spendi because we don't express our feelings using the words you want spendi?

I'll never do that. I've been fascinated by the USA since I was a kid. I think we all are to an extent. But I'm a particularly bad case.

Quote:
Perhaps you are missing the deeper meanings in Lear.

If I told you what they are I do believe you would go howling home and hide yourself under the table. There's supposed to be 600 odd nose jokes in the Complete Works. I think I got that from Frank Harris. An American citizen of Irish birth and English education.

I have tangled with an Anne Hathaway myself. There's been a lot down the years.

Quote:
But were it to my fancy given
To rate her charms, I'd call them heaven;
For though a mortal made of clay,
Angels must love Anne Hathaway;

She hath a way so to control,
To rapture the imprisoned soul,
And sweetest heaven on earth display,
That to be heaven Anne hath a way;

She hath a way,
Anne Hathaway,–
To be heaven's self Anne hath a way.

Not like Elton John's stuff is it?

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's not about "special interest;" it's about our Constitution.

From 1787 you mean?
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:16 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Southern US states weren't Christian until the 1960s?

They certainly were not. But they could call themselves that. If calling themselves that influenced anybody it would prove how dangerous a false designation can be.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:21 pm
@spendius,
No; it and all the amendments approved since then.

Quote:
The Fourteenth Amendment (Amendment XIV) to the United States Constitution was adopted on July 9, 1868 as one of the Reconstruction Amendments.

Its Citizenship Clause provides a broad definition of citizenship that overruled the decision in Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857), which held that blacks could not be citizens of the United States.

Its Due Process Clause prohibits state and local governments from depriving people (individual and corporate) of life, liberty, or property without certain steps being taken. This clause has been used to make most of the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, as well as to recognize substantive rights and procedural rights.

Its Equal Protection Clause requires each state to provide equal protection under the law to all people within its jurisdiction. This clause later became the basis for Brown v. Board of Education (1954), the Supreme Court decision which precipitated the dismantling of racial segregation in the United States.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:24 pm
@parados,
Quote:
You were told why. You are the one that put the argument on ignore. It's settled law when it comes to polygamous marriages. The courts already decided.

Give over. It was settled law that homosexuals couldn't marry from 1787 to recently. I put nothing on Ignore that I'm involved in.

I don't see how the rights of 2nd and more "wives" are any different, on your own arguments, in relation to being officially titled "married" than homosexuals are. The settled law argument is a non starter. The argument is about what settled law should be here. In 45 states it is settled law that homosexuals can't marry.

Is Cal. trying to attract the world's best off homosexuals? Now that would be an argument I wouldn't dispute. Like Nevada with gambing and prostitution laws.

Bath time. Take a time out boys.