California Voters Approve Gay-Marriage Ban

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:46 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Why do you oppose dictatorship? People oppose lots of things just because that's the way they feel.

Opposition to dictatorships doesn't stem solely from emotion. I can point to all kinds of negative effects that come with dictatorships.

You can't point to any material negative effects stemming from gay marriage.

I am not sure you can make a case that would survive challenge that dictatorship cannot work. Anyway, I believe that most people oppose dictatorship and enact laws against it because they feel that it's bad.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

I do get a vote. The law states, quite properly, that everyone is equal under the law. This doesn't obligate me to let someone do something he wants to do, provided it is equally forbidden to everyone else. I support keeping same sex marriage illegal for everyone.

Unless you can show the harm that is done by it - which you once again, cowardly, have refused to do in any detail - you have no basis for forbidding people to take action. That is how our laws work.

Cycloptichorn

Sorry, but that isn't the way our laws work. The law is anything that's passed, unless it violates a higher law, such as the Constitution, which can itself be changed to be anything people want it to be.

Also, let's not let the personal adjectives creep into this discussion. It doesn't help.

It helps me and everyone else here, for I believe bigots and cowards deserve to be told what they are to their face. Repeatedly. I challenge you to overcome your cowardice and describe how gay marriage 'corrupts' something you love, in detail. I am betting that you, bigot, cannot do this.

As for the meat of your post, you are simply incorrect. Laws are not based on 'whatever people want them to be,' because we get self-contradicting laws that way. This is why judicial interpretation is as equal a branch of government as the other two...

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I explained exactly how above. It corrupts something I think is beautiful. You keep wanting me to say that it will make my house fall down or something. I think it legitimizes something that is an anomaly and that is contrary to something I think is beautiful. Period.

Lemme get this straight: you oppose gay marriage on esthetic grounds? Well, that's certainly a new one.

No, it's an old one. Ultimately, most laws can be traced back to principles that cannot be supported by anything but aesthetics, religion, or practicality, and many, many ultimately trace back to aesthetics. That is, if I get someone to take the reasoning behind a law back to earlier and earlier causes, ultimately he will get to a point where he has to say, "I just feel that way."
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Sorry, but that isn't the way our laws work. The law is anything that's passed, unless it violates a higher law, such as the Constitution, which can itself be changed to be anything people want it to be.

So could we pass a law putting slavery back in place if the majority of people wanted to?

T
K
O
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:52 am
@Brandon9000,
If you're discussing amending the Constitution (which is quite a different prospect from passing a law), then in a sense you are correct.

The Constitution could, theoretically, be amended to ban gay marriage.

But amending the Constitution is a massive undertaking, and I don't see that as being politically possible for gay marriage.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:54 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I explained exactly how above. It corrupts something I think is beautiful. You keep wanting me to say that it will make my house fall down or something. I think it legitimizes something that is an anomaly and that is contrary to something I think is beautiful. Period.

Lemme get this straight: you oppose gay marriage on esthetic grounds? Well, that's certainly a new one.

No, it's an old one. Ultimately, most laws can be traced back to principles that cannot be supported by anything but aesthetics, religion, or practicality, and many, many ultimately trace back to aesthetics. That is, if I get someone to take the reasoning behind a law back to earlier and earlier causes, ultimately he will get to a point where he has to say, "I just feel that way."

I've rarely seen such a blatant defense of intellectual laziness.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Really? Okay, suppose the voters pass a law with no reason other than the fact that they like it that way. On what grounds will the courts throw it out?

Uh, geez. How can you not know this?

Because our legal system isn't built on the basis of opinion, Brandon. Opinions of citizens are immaterial to legality in the eyes of the law.

Alright, then please answer. The citizens pass a law just because they want it that way and it doesn't contradict a higher law. On what grounds will the courts throw it out?

Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is purely incorrect:

Quote:
You can't decide what's right or wrong based on anything but emotion (or religion of you have one, which I don't), or reference to some simpler ethical principal, which is itself based on emotion (or religiion).

Logic is not beholden to either Religion or Emotion. You ought to give it a whirl sometime.

Cycloptichorn

Let's see if you're right. Please give me an example of an explanation for why something is right or wrong that is based on logic, and isn't proven by reference to a prior idea of right and wrong which itself is based on emotion or religion.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I am not sure you can make a case that would survive challenge that dictatorship cannot work.

I never attempted to make that case. But I maintain that my general opposition to dictatorship is based on evidence beyond a mere "I don't like it".

Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyway, I believe that most people oppose dictatorship and enact laws against it because they feel that it's bad.

So what? We're not discussing what "most people" do or think. We're discussing the moral, ethical, and legal repercussions of gay marriage.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Really? Okay, suppose the voters pass a law with no reason other than the fact that they like it that way. On what grounds will the courts throw it out?

Because you can't restrict someone else's behavior "just because." That would be a dictatorship.

Generally, our system of limited government prevents unnecessary intrusion into our private lives.

Deaf? I said on what grounds will the courts throw it out (assuming it doesn't contradict a higher law such as the Constitution).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:58 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The citizens pass a law just because they want it that way and it doesn't contradict a higher law. On what grounds will the courts throw it out?

Give us an example of such a law. Gay marriage certainly ain't it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:00 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Alright, then please answer. The citizens pass a law just because they want it that way and it doesn't contradict a higher law. On what grounds will the courts throw it out?

The law cannot stand unless you show that the group you are looking to limit is causing harm to someone. You can't pass laws which discriminate against groups without providing compelling reasons why. Thus, you couldn't pass a law that doesn't allow Civic drivers to use the fast lane, just b.c you and others FELT like it; you would have to show compelling reason WHY, or the courts would likely throw that law out.

Quote:
Let's see if you're right. Please give me an example of an explanation for why something is right or wrong that is based on logic, and isn't proven by reference to a prior idea of right and wrong which itself is based on emotion or religion.

Murder. It is not wrong because of my opinion of it, or because of some invisible dude in the sky's opinion, but because it causes major harm to individuals (and not just the victim himself) and instability to society as a whole. That's not based on emotion, but Practicality. You don't need to know a thing about history, religion, or ethics to see the practical reason for this law.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

I do get a vote. The law states, quite properly, that everyone is equal under the law. This doesn't obligate me to let someone do something he wants to do, provided it is equally forbidden to everyone else. I support keeping same sex marriage illegal for everyone.

Unless you can show the harm that is done by it - which you once again, cowardly, have refused to do in any detail - you have no basis for forbidding people to take action. That is how our laws work.

Cycloptichorn

Also, let's not let the personal adjectives creep into this discussion. It doesn't help.

It helps me and everyone else here, for I believe bigots and cowards deserve to be told what they are to their face. Repeatedly. I challenge you to overcome your cowardice and describe how gay marriage 'corrupts' something you love, in detail. I am betting that you, bigot, cannot do this.

As for the meat of your post, you are simply incorrect. Laws are not based on 'whatever people want them to be,' because we get self-contradicting laws that way. This is why judicial interpretation is as equal a branch of government as the other two...

Cycloptichorn

I love marriage because it is an expression of heterosexual love, which I think is beautiful. Allowing same sex marriage legitimizes something which is contrary to that. If you keep asking, I can keep telling, except that I think I've expressed myself clrearly enough already.

As for "laws based on what people want," I'll refer you to the other posts in which I asked you to tell me the grounds on which such a law would be overturned if it didn't contradict a specific principle in a higher law.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:01 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

So could we pass a law putting slavery back in place if the majority of people wanted to?

T
K
O

Not without amending the Contitution first, and I would certainly vote against such a thing.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Frankly, I doubt that very much. But then even if that's true, that doesn't provide a rationale for defending those laws -- unless, of course, you're content with defending an "I just feel that way" law by saying that you just feel that way.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If you're discussing amending the Constitution (which is quite a different prospect from passing a law), then in a sense you are correct.

The Constitution could, theoretically, be amended to ban gay marriage.

But amending the Constitution is a massive undertaking, and I don't see that as being politically possible for gay marriage.

A law which is passed, not just a Constitutional amendment, just because most people want it, doesn't violate anything if it doesn't specifically violate a higher law, and the idea that it does is not just false but also anti-democratic.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:05 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I love marriage because it is an expression of heterosexual love, which I think is beautiful.

OK. Has nothing to do with anything, though.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Allowing same sex marriage legitimizes something which is contrary to that. If you keep asking, I can keep telling, except that I think I've expressed myself clrearly enough already.

But your argument comes down to "I find it distasteful". That's not a good enough reason to restrict someone else.

I don't like pickled eggs. Should we outlaw them?

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for "laws based on what people want," I'll refer you to the other posts in which I asked you to tell me the grounds on which such a law would be overturned if it didn't contradict a specific principle in a higher law.

Provide an example of such a law. Don't expect us to do your work for you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I've rarely seen such a blatant defense of intellectual laziness.

Cycloptichorn

On the subject of laziness, I note that you didn't offer any sort of disproof or counter-example.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
A law which is passed, not just a Constitutional amendment, just because most people want it, doesn't violate anything if it doesn't specifically violate a higher law, and the idea that it does is not just false but also anti-democratic.

Except the highest law of the land most specifically excludes you from passing a law "just because most people want it".
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:09 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I am not sure you can make a case that would survive challenge that dictatorship cannot work.

I never attempted to make that case. But I maintain that my general opposition to dictatorship is based on evidence beyond a mere "I don't like it".

Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyway, I believe that most people oppose dictatorship and enact laws against it because they feel that it's bad.

So what? We're not discussing what "most people" do or think. We're discussing the moral, ethical, and legal repercussions of gay marriage.

You've forgotten the thread of discussion. You said, "So basically, you oppose gay marriage because you oppose it." I responded, "Why do you oppose dictatorship? People oppose lots of things just because that's the way they feel." I was showing that laws are commonly based on feelings.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
The citizens pass a law just because they want it that way and it doesn't contradict a higher law. On what grounds will the courts throw it out?

Give us an example of such a law. Gay marriage certainly ain't it.

You said that laws cannot be based on just what people want to pass. I said that you are wrong and asked you on what basis such a law would be nullified. If you cannot, then your assertion carries no weight.