Not Even the Pretense of Impartiality

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:03 pm
Certain liberal news organizations are barely putting a veneer of impartiality on their reporting of the presidential campaign, as when the "New York Times" printed an op ed piece by Obama and then refused to print an answer submitted by John McCain. Oh, they said that if he re-wrote it the way they wanted, they might print it, but he wisely refused.

If a liberal newspaper is going to print an article slanted towards Obama, they certainly should label it as an opinion piece, and not as news. Here is the latest almost unbelievable pro-Obama piece presented as news. You like cute kids, right? Well cute kids want you to vote for Obama. From CNN:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-131234

By selective under- and over-reporting of the news, they've probably been very effective at supporting the Obama campaign. Unfortunately, many people just believe some kind of average of what they hear. My feeling is that news organizations should be rigorously impartial when presenting something as news. If they want to support a candidate, they should label the article as commentary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,655 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:06 am
@Brandon9000,
Turn about is the way I see it. Bush had an uncritical pass from the media perhaps six years of the time he served. The wheel turns. New cycle of tolerance. Shrug.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:38 am
@Brandon9000,
The impartiality of Brandon is in question...

He seems to cherry pick news accounts that support his claim that his candidate is being treated unfairly. He also ignores the incompetence of McCain's campaign which has done much to hurt his narrative (and thus the media coverage of his narrative).
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:44 am
@ebrown p,
When ya got lemons, sell lemonade. When ya got nothing, sell blather.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:06 am
@Brandon9000,
You realize that isn't real news, right Brandon? It says so right at the top of the page:

Quote:
iReport.com is a user-generated site. That means the stories submitted by users are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only stories marked "On CNN" have been vetted for use in CNN news coverage. Learn more »

It is a place on the CNN site that is set up for people to post their own news. That's why it's called ireport... as in "I Report."

Make your own news and upload it to the sight. Then provide us a link.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:23 am
So what if the media is partial to Obama? A doddering old man and a whack job bitch that are practically indistinguishable from the assholes that have fucked us for 8 years and you want impartiality? When some person or situation sucks is it not the job of the news media to report about that in it's true light?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:41 am
the problem is not that individuals or organizations that run media try to push their views, as this has always been true...the problem is that journalism is rarely practiced well anymore. Corporate control is the problem, as the only concern is ratings. When this is the case media individuals do what they believe the audience wants, they no longer practice journalism.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@Brandon9000,
It would seem that the Fox cable network is being the formal agent of the Republican Party right wing during this election cycle so it seem to balance out in my opinion.
hamburger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk wrote :

Quote:
Corporate control is the problem, as the only concern is ratings.

i agree with you , hawk .
however on of the problems of the newspaper business is that nowadays they have a lot of competion - so how are they going to find the money to fund their operations ?
i understand that most newspapers - particulaly the independend ones - have to struggle to stay afloat .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7000036
Baldimo

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:08 pm
@BillRM,
You call one news channel against three balanced? Where did you learn to do math. CNN, CNBC and MSNBC all pull for Obama and don't do any real reporting on him. Fox News has been the only channel that has done some reporting on Obama that didn't present him as a Saint. The rest of been in the bag.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:46 pm
@ebrown p,
Almost not worth the energy to refute, but:

ebrown p wrote:

The impartiality of Brandon is in question...

No, it's not. I'm pro-McCain, but that neither makes my claim correct nor incorrect.

ebrown p wrote:
He seems to cherry pick news accounts that support his claim that his candidate is being treated unfairly.

Not too suprising, since I chose two examples specifically to make this point.

ebrown p wrote:
He also ignores the incompetence of McCain's campaign which has done much to hurt his narrative (and thus the media coverage of his narrative).

True, but irrelevant. My assertion was that the liberal print and TV news media are selectively under and over reporting events, and presenting commentary as news in order to support Obama, in a manner completely inconsistent with what's considered proper behavior for news organizations.

Geez, you're supposed to have some brains. Can't you do any better than this?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

You realize that isn't real news, right Brandon? It says so right at the top of the page:

Quote:
iReport.com is a user-generated site. That means the stories submitted by users are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only stories marked "On CNN" have been vetted for use in CNN news coverage. Learn more »

It is a place on the CNN site that is set up for people to post their own news. That's why it's called ireport... as in "I Report."

Make your own news and upload it to the sight. Then provide us a link.

And CNN doesn't choose which submissions to show on the front page, right?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

So what if the media is partial to Obama? A doddering old man and a whack job bitch that are practically indistinguishable from the assholes that have fucked us for 8 years and you want impartiality? When some person or situation sucks is it not the job of the news media to report about that in it's true light?

It's the job of the news media to report the facts without prejudice, or else label the articles as commentary.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 02:01 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Oh suh-NAP!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:24 pm
@hamburger,
Quote:
i agree with you , hawk .
however on of the problems of the newspaper business is that nowadays they have a lot of competion - so how are they going to find the money to fund their operations ?
i understand that most newspapers - particulaly the independend ones - have to struggle to stay afloat .

we don't have a model for how to fund journalism that does not make journalists slaves to the corporate interests. At one time papers were run by individuals and families that operated them as civic assets as well as a means to a living. TV corporations operated news divisions as civic assets as well, subsiding them out of potential profits. Papers are dying and there will be no saving them, and periodicals and TV are run by corps which consider the former journalistic outlets as profit centers, so Journalism can not happen in those places to any great degree.

Ideally a Bill Gates would set up a foundation to run a Internet based Media operation that did not take any advertising income, thus free journalists to operate outside of the shackles of needing to generate ratings. To date this has not happened.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 05:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
so they should have said " a large wind and a lot of water went through new orleans" and let it go at that?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:29 pm
@Baldimo,
It what the free market is calling for and you right wingers just love the free market.
0 Replies