Boy Scouts/Discrimination

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:18 am
@Foxfyre,
No you didn't

You made an idiotic claim about the marital status of child molesters that apparently had no source other than your own prejudice.

I haven't seen where you posted any evidence about whether the boy scout leaders molesting kids were married or not.

Good Christian married men have some nasty habits-- you do remember Ted Haggard, right?
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:22 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

No you didn't

You made an idiotic claim about the marital status of child molesters that apparently had no source other than your own prejudice.

I haven't seen where you posted any evidence about whether the boy scout leaders molesting kids were married or not.

Good Christian married men have some nasty habits-- you do remember Ted Haggard, right?

My comment re married men was related exclusively to scout leaders in charge of boy scouts. My source gave some pretty credible statistics re the incidents of heterosexual sexual misconduct as compared to homosexual misconduct where children are concerned. Working with the boy scouts at the local and district levels, including serving on the board, hubby saw all the data re the various reported incidents, lawsuits, etc. etc. when the Scouts were having all their troubles. There was no incident of sexual misconduct involving a married scout leader and the boy scouts in his charge among all that data.

That was some years ago, however, and if you can find a credible source that says otherwise, go for it. Otherwise, you could just admit you don't want to believe it but you have absolutely nothing on which to base your opinion other than your own prejudices.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

just because something is in a formal study done to the standards
of such studies does not mean that either the conclusions or facts
are guarantee to be correct and that information outside such
sources are not in fact automatically of lesser worth.

I was trying to bring out that point.

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:38 am
@Foxfyre,
I'm curious about your thoughts on littlek's statistics, especially the line she highlighted.
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 11:44 am
@majikal,
majikal wrote:
You don't seem to realize, Bill, that that most predators are actually heterosexual males, even those who prey on children of the same gender as them.

What basis do you have for that statement? Can you back that up?

(EDIT: In case the nickel hasn't dropped for you yet, the ludicrous nature of your claim is that heterosexual men are more likely to abuse male children.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

. . . the ludicrous nature of your claim is that heterosexual men
are more likely to abuse male children

We don 't ofen agree,
but we can agree on this
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
This is the claim which Fox made:

Quote:
And the Boy Scouts finally had to implement their no gay scoutleaders policy as the incidents of sexual misconduct by heterosexual family men was virtually nil.

To emphasize, " . . . incidents of sexual misconduct by heterosexual family men was [sic] virtually nil."

The source Fox quotes does not support that statement.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:04 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I'm curious about your thoughts on littlek's statistics, especially the line she highlighted.

More important to the issue of scout leaders are lines that she didn't highlight:

i.e. Eighty-eight percent had a prior relationship with their victims;
and
Three out of four prisoners who victimized a child reported the crime took place in their own home or in the victim's home

These statistics are almost certainly on target but mostly relate to sex crimes committed by family members or close friends of the molested kids. That is a totally different issue from the issue of pedophiles who integrate organizations in order to have access to kids and what policies best protect the children. The source I cited showed that pedophiles do seek out such organizations.

Certainly there are cases of married scout leaders molesting scouts and I could google up two or three of such cases with no trouble at all as any of you. There is nothing to prevent a man with such tendencies from getting married of course. But the fact is, the incidents of sexual misconduct in the Boy Scouts dropped off to near--not absolute but near--zero once they implemented a policy that weeded out the most likely offenders. Background checks have helped too.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
. Working with the boy scouts at the local and district levels, including serving on the board, hubby saw all the data re the various reported incidents, lawsuits, etc. etc. when the Scouts were having all their troubles

So we are to understand that your husband was a married heterosexual male who worked with the Boy Scouts?

Hmmmm.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:40 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
. Working with the boy scouts at the local and district levels, including serving on the board, hubby saw all the data re the various reported incidents, lawsuits, etc. etc. when the Scouts were having all their troubles

So we are to understand that your husband was a married heterosexual male who worked with the Boy Scouts?

Hmmmm.

Yes. You cannot only assume that but you can know that to be a fact. And not only a scout leader but at different times a counselor at church camp, Sunday school teacher of Junior High kids, Little League umpire, organizer of Junior Olympics, and greatly popular among all the kids in the family and friends. And yes, when the church (and Scouts) implemented a policy that all staff and also all volunteers working with kids would undergo extensive background checks, both he and I willingly submitted to that.

So tell me ebrown, why is it that you seem so eager to protect and defend pedophiles and/or promote policies that make it much easier for them to get at the kids? Hmmmmm?
ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

So tell me ebrown, why is it that you seem so eager to protect and defend pedophiles and/or promote policies that make it much easier for them to get at the kids? Hmmmmm?

I fully support any policy that keeps you or your husband from sexually abusing kids. I have no problem with background checks.

Your husband is a heterosexual married man working with a kids organization. The categorical denial that "heterosexual married men" ever abuse kids sounds kind of suspicious.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

The categorical denial that "heterosexual married men" ever abuse kids sounds kind of suspicious.

I didn't make a categorical denial that 'heterosexual married men" ever abuse kids. You still seem to have a reading comprehension problem as well as any ability to put things into their proper context. Have you thought about getting help for that?
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I didn't make a categorical denial that 'heterosexual married men" ever abuse kids.

You did, however, state (and this is a categorical statement), that, and i quote: "And the Boy Scouts finally had to implement their no gay scoutleaders policy as the incidents of sexual misconduct by heterosexual family men was virtually nil." Which is a statement for which you did not provide any evidence. When people have challenged you on it, you have insisted that they prove you wrong. As you have not proven your claim, no one here is obliged to make any attempt to disprove the claim.

As usual, Dear, you're stumbling badly, and attempting to imply that you've proven a point which you have not proven, and that others are obliged to disprove your claim. That is typical of your work here.
Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:17 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
More important to the issue of scout leaders are lines that she didn't highlight:

and
Three out of four prisoners who victimized a child reported the crime took place in their own home or in the victim's home

I think that's a fair objection.

About the Boy Scouts' "no-gays" policy: Do the Girl Scouts have a corresponding "no-lesbians" policy? What level of abuse, if any, do they observe?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:24 pm
@Thomas,
Did thay have problems with lesbians ?
McGentrix

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I didn't make a categorical denial that 'heterosexual married men" ever abuse kids.

You did, however, state (and this is a categorical statement), that, and i quote: "And the Boy Scouts finally had to implement their no gay scoutleaders policy as the incidents of sexual misconduct by heterosexual family men was virtually nil." Which is a statement for which you did not provide any evidence. When people have challenged you on it, you have insisted that they prove you wrong. As you have not proven your claim, no one here is obliged to make any attempt to disprove the claim.

As usual, Dear, you're stumbling badly, and attempting to imply that you've proven a point which you have not proven, and that others are obliged to disprove your claim. That is typical of your work here.

So find statistics that prove otherwise.

I see nothing here beyond the typical bullshit that you guys do to every single post Fox makes and it's still tiresome. If they wish to challenge her statement, it should be pretty easy to do, otherwise, STFU.
Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know. That's why my question contains the these two words: "If any".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:00 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

and

I think that's a fair objection.

About the Boy Scouts' "no-gays" policy: Do the Girl Scouts have a corresponding "no-lesbians" policy? What level of abuse, if any, do they observe?

I'm not sure. Other than in cooperative kinds of things, I haven't had any significant dealings with the Girl Scouts since my daughter was a Brownie and then decided not to continue. I am fairly certain the the Girl Scouts do require their leaders to undergo extensive background checks, including checks on prior sexual misconduct, just like everybody else does these days. In truth, though most gay men would never harm a child, I believe there is still a much higher percentage of gay men who are pedophiles than there are lesbians who commit sex crimes. I don't know, but I am guessing that the percentage of lesbians who commit sex crimes are probably no higher than the percentage of heterosexual women, or at least very little difference would be found. And as previously posted statistics show, women overall have a much lower percentage of sex crimes than do men overall.

There has not been the history of Girl Scouts being molested by scout leaders as we have seen in the Boy Scouts of America.

When I was head of a large YWCA, my second in command was a lesbian woman who I would have trusted with anybody's kids or my life and did. She was a remarkable woman and I would have been far less successful in my job without her.

The only objection I've ever heard about lesbian scout leaders is that there is a tendency to promote the lesbian lifestyle, and I do know some mothers who have requested that their child's scout leader be straight for that reason. I honestly don't know if there is any real basis for that, however.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
The biggest misunderstanding many people have is that pedophilia and homosexuality are one and the same. But to say that all homosexuals are pedophiles, or that all pedophiles are homosexual, is like comparing apples to rat poison. "They certainly are two distinct things," says James Hord, a psychologist in Panama City, Fla., who specializes in treating sexually abused children.

Hord explains that while some pedophiles may prefer boys over girls, or vice versa, it's not so much about gender as it is about age. For homosexuals, Hord says, sexual preference is "simply not linked to the age." If a man, for instance, is attracted to other adult males, he is a homosexual. A man who is sexually attracted to male children is not considered a homosexual: He is a pedophile.
Insecurity at Heart of Pedophilia

As with all things sexual, however, it's not always so simple. Heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual men and women may become sexually attracted to children even though they're also attracted to adults. When this happens, it's usually because of insecurity or stress in an adult relationship, says Anthony Siracusa, a psychologist in Williamstown, Mass., who specializes in treating abused kids and sexual offenders. http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/explaining-pedophilia
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 04:32 pm
@littlek,
I've never said otherwise though littlek even though you are referencing me here. In fact I have been quite careful to continue to express certainty that most gay men would never harm a child and I think lesbian women overall present no more danger to kids than do heterosexual women overall and neither are anywhere near as likely to prey on children as are men whether those men are going after boys or girls.

Straight or gay, I define a pedophile as somebody who intentionally preys on children for purposes of sexual gratification. I don't attach a sexual orientation to that. It is quite reasonable, however, to assume that pedophiles seeking out young boys are far more likely to be gay than heterosexual. Can we at least agree on that?