Media announces my company is laying off thousands

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:37 am
This happened several days ago. There has been no communication at all for the company. In the past, when such rumors or even truthful items are mentioned in the media, the company immediately responds by notifying the employees (either via email or department meetings) what is going on. This time nada.

The other day, it was announced that this huge technology project was being dumped. From what I have gathered for those involved in the project, nothing more has been said. These people working on the project are now just sitting around doing nothing. No one word was said to them on what is happening to them.

Should I be worried?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,344 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:00 am
@Linkat,
yes....and my sympathies...
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:15 am
@Linkat,
I'd say it'd be better if your were angry at their Bad communication instead of worried. That way you're not turning in on yourself over something you cannot control.

If you can, do not worry. There's this Asian saying: "Waiting is knowing."

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:18 am
@Cliff Hanger,
I am (we are - as in co-workers) - there has been a change at a high level - where the of our division has retired - this is typically where the communication has come from in the past. So it is difficult to determine if the lack of communication is due to this change or due to the company is determined who and how many at this point in time.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:24 am
@Linkat,

if you haven't already done so, this would a good time to update your resume...
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yeah it would, however, there are very limited jobs in the industry due to the economy. Most companies I know are freezing their job requistitions.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:49 pm
@Linkat,
If you hear about it in the media, worry. If senior management holds meetings to assure there are no problems, panic.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:54 pm
@roger,
Some of it is known in a sense, stuff has been outsourced to India, so obviously people will be let go at some point, just the number is more large than anyone would have thought.
dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:35 pm
@Linkat,
Just wishing the best to you and everyone else in your company Linkat.

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:18 pm
@Linkat,
Have you already relocated? Will this totally put a crimp in your plans?
jespah

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:59 am
Oh man I wonder if some of it is the project I had worked on last year (I know for sure it's the same company; I don't work there any more). I should call my friend M___.

Linkat, best to you. I hope things go smoothly for you, whether it's to stay or to go.
squinney

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 05:54 am
I'd mark it up to the new guy not wanting to take a bunch of flack before deciding who goes. I can't imagine having it announced on the news without any warning from my boss. Very rude. Not good for moral even for those not on the short list.

But, worrying won't help. Spend your energy taking positive "just in case" steps.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
@FreeDuck,
Still trying to sell -not sure how this would effect us - but if I did relocate, my guess I would be better off - it is expensive to employ in Boston, much cheaper in TX.

They only thing I am worried is they have been very good about extending my position here locally (in 2 or 3 month increments) - I wonder with stuff like this, they will say at the next increment, move or leave.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:53 am
@jespah,
thanks - yeah the people currently that are working on the project are just sitting around doing nothing - no one has told them what the plan is - I don't think anyone knows.

The sad thing is this high up guy was very recently hired - I like to refer to him as the slasher - He was hired at my previous company and he cut everything - things as small as plant service and hot chocolate.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:54 am
@squinney,
I agree - I'm doing what I can - the good thing is that my job is something that is legally required - so unless they outsource some one has to do it - it just might be that a few people are booted.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
And its not looking good for finding another job either, here is our local news:

State may lose 7,200 jobs in finance
Some of the state's largest employers are considering job cuts, including banks undergoing mergers and mutual fund firms whose assets have fallen with stock market declines.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:16 pm
Seems like it is not a rumor - announced today they will begin layoffs starting with the beginning of this month. Not sure if anyone was actually laid off yet as a result of this, but I haven't seen it yet. They expect to continue until March or so of next year.

I do expect that there will some of our group come toward the tail end - since we have and continue to move work to India. But I think my group is safe for a little while.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:37 am
@Linkat,
lol, this is the ultimate result of any government power.

greed leads to disintergration.

hopefully we survive this economically speaking.

Sad
jespah

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:08 am
@Linkat,
I know of one person from my project who's gone, but I think it was before the big layoff announcement. Still dunno about my other buds who are still there.

Hang in there, Linkat.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:34 am
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
lol, this is the ultimate result of any government power.

Have you ever heard of deregulation? That is what the policy has been for the last 20 years.

Quote:
greed leads to disintergration.

Maybe the government should keep an eye on corporate greed.

Linkdat, I hope the jobs gods will smile upon you and all will work out for the best.
0 Replies