• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 748 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:14 am
@tanguatlay,
Of is more common in American English.

It is possible, though not likely, that from would give someone the impression that the graduate comes from West Point, which is different from being a graduate of a school in West Point.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:07 pm
Shapeless has hit upon a significant point. The United States Military Academy is located at West Point, New York. In the American language, we would usually say that someone were a graduate of such-and-such an institution. But we might also refer to the place, in which case you would not be incorrect to say "from."

So, Douglas MacArthur graduated from West Point, and was a graduate of the USMA.

You could actually use either, but "of" would be more commonly used.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:20 pm
@Setanta,
What happened, Set? Decide retirement wasn't for you?
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:47 pm
@roger,
Naw . . . just got a little bored with my video games . . . i've also been avoiding all the election related lunacy and slime fest . . .

Hope you're well enchanted with your land these days, Boss . . .
kuvasz

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:15 am
@Setanta,
nice to see ya' again, my friend, been partying since 10 last night with the phillies winning the series.

btw our old friend from abuzz, Olddog is quite ill and he's having surgery friday, pass some good vibes his way.
contrex

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:40 am
@kuvasz,
I have noted the remarks about the American language, and can only add that in the English language, one is also a graduate of an educational institution, but in order to attain that status, one has to graduate from it.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:25 pm
Cheers, Kuv . . . i haven't thought of Olddog in years, i do hope all will be well . . .
0 Replies