Times Refuses to Release Tape of Obama Praising Controversial Activist

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:10 am
Quote:
Times Refuses to Release Tape of Obama Praising Controversial Activist

Video of farewell party for alleged PLO worker shows Obama toasting 'friend and dinner companion' with questionable past.

The Los Angeles Times is refusing to release a videotape that it says shows Barack Obama praising a Chicago professor who was an alleged mouthpiece for the Palestine Liberation Organization while it was a designated terrorist group in the 1970s and '80s.

According an LA Times article written by Peter Wallsten in April, Obama was a "friend and frequent dinner companion" of Rashid Khalidi, who from 1976 to1982 was reportedly a director of the official Palestinian press agency, WAFA, which was operating in exile from Beirut with the PLO.

Click here to read the original LA Times story: 'Palestinians See a Friend in Barack Obama.'

In the article -- based on the videotape obtained by the Times -- Wallsten said Obama addressed an audience during a 2003 farewell dinner for Khalidi, who was Obama's colleague at the University of Chicago, before his departure for Columbia University in New York. Obama said his many talks with Khalidi and his wife Mona stood as "consistent reminders to me of my own blind spots and my own biases."

Khalidi is currently the Edward Said professor of Arab Studies at Columbia. A pro-Palestinian activist, he has been a fierce critic of American foreign policy and of Israel, which he has accused of establishing an "apartheid system" of government. The PLO advocate helped facilitate negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians in the early '90s, but he has denied he was ever an employee of the group, contradicting accounts in the New York Times and Washington Times.

The LA Times told FOXNews.com that it won't reveal how it obtained the tape of Khalidi's farewell party, nor will the newspaper release it. Spokeswoman Nancy Sullivan said the paper is not interested in revisiting the story. "As far as we're concerned, the story speaks for itself," she said.

The newspaper reported Tuesday evening in a story on its Web site that the tape was from a confidential source.

"The Los Angeles Times did not publish the videotape because it was provided to us by a confidential source who did so on the condition that we not release it," the Times' editor, Russ Stanton, said. "The Times keeps its promises to sources."

In recent months Obama has distanced himself from the man the Times says he once called a friend. "He is not one of my advisers. He's not one of my foreign policy people," Obama said at a campaign event in May. "He is a respected scholar, although he vehemently disagrees with a lot of Israel's policy."

But on the tape, according to the Times, Obama said in his toast that he hoped his relationship with Khalidi would continue even after the professor left Chicago. "It's for that reason that I'm hoping that, for many years to come, we continue that conversation -- a conversation that is necessary not just around Mona and Rashid's dinner table ... [but around] this entire world."

A number of Web sites have accused the Times of purposely suppressing the tape of the event -- which former Weather Underground terrorists Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn reportedly attended.

Sullivan said she would not give details of what else may be on the tape, adding that anyone interested in the video should read the newspaper's report, which was its final account.

"This is a story that we reported on six months ago, so any suggestion that we're suppressing the tape is absurd -- we're the ones that brought the existence of the tape to light," Sullivan said.

The Los Angeles Times endorsed Obama for president on October 19.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/28/la-times-refuses-release-tape-obama-praising-controversial-activist/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,433 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:18 am
@Brandon9000,
Seems to me their job is to report, not repress, the news.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:37 am
"Professor attends other professor's farewell party, gives a toast in which he calls him 'friend'. Friend is 'alleged' to work for the PLO". Shocking!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:04 pm
@Thomas,
When do Obama's associations with terrorists become relevant?

When they amount to six or eight?

When they include a right-wing terrorist association?

McCain attends the farewell party of a fellow former military officer. He toasts the person as a "friend."

Big deal, right Thomas?

Even if the "friend" was a former officer in the military of Pinochet or Baby Doc Duvalier?

Undoubtedly we could rely upon you to poo-poo allegations as respects such McCain hypotheticals.
JTT

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: "I come here not to praise McCain but to bury him."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There is a difference between a former officer in Pinochet's military and an "alleged" former officer.

Khalidi is "alleged" to have worked for the PLO but the evidence is pretty non existent.
Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Excuse me, was there a point behind your innuendo? If so, could you please state it again in plain English?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:55 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Rashid Khalidi

Well, the guy had a funny name. Of course he was a terrorist, and everybody should have known!
parados

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:13 am
@DrewDad,
OMG, Drew..

When I was at Sears just the other day, the salesperson was named Rashid. Not only did I consort with a terrorist, but Sears is now hiring them it seems.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:43 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

OMG, Drew..

When I was at Sears just the other day, the salesperson was named Rashid. Not only did I consort with a terrorist, but Sears is now hiring them it seems.

Straw man. There's no evidence that anyone is accusing him of PLO ties because of his name. Just as possessing that name doesn't make someone a terrorist sympathizer, possessing that name doesn't mean that he isn't.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:53 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Dr. Khalidi was a director of the official PLO press agency WAFA in Beirut from 1976 to 1982. During this time the US State Department considered the PLO a terrorist organization and the PLO was involved with terrorist attacks. WAFA was not an independent, unaffiliated news organization.

Quote:
Dr. Khalidi, notwithstanding his current work, cannot pretend he was some outsider with no ties to the policies and practices of the PLO in the late 70s.

Quote:
I am not questioning nor challenging Dr. Khalidi’s academic credentials. He is a real professor and has written real books. But he is not some neutral observer.

Quote:
And Khalidi has direct ties to Obama. These are not imagined. Before getting his job at Columbia University Rashid Khalidi was a Middle East professor at the University of Chicago, where he befriended none other than US presidential candidate Barack Hussein Obama. In 2000 Khalidi held a successful fundraiser for Barack

Quote:
Barack also played a role in getting funding for Khalidi’s Arab American Action Network during his tenure on the board of the Woods Fund.

Quote:
Khalidi said the following about the Washington Institute:

By God, I say that the participation of the sons or daughters of the Arabs in the plans and affairs of this institute is a huge error, this Israeli institute in Washington, an institute founded by AIPAC, the Zionist lobby, and that hosts tens of Israelis every year. The presence of an Arab or two each year can’t disguise the nature of this institute as the most important center of Zionist interests in Washington for at least a decade. I very much regret the participation of Arab officials and non-officials and academics in the activities of this institute, because in fact if you look at the output of this institute, it’s directed against the Palestinians, against the Arabs, and against the Muslims in general. Its products describe the Palestinians as terrorists, and in fact its basic function is to spread lies and falsehoods about the Arab world, of course under an academic, scholarly veneer. Basically, this is the most important Zionist propaganda tool in the United States.

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/02/18/more-on-rashid-khalidi-and-the-risks-for-obama/

Quote:
A glance at Khalidi's work shows why this is a step in the wrong direction for Columbia University. His writings and statements routinely cross the line from education into a political advocacy that is not just extremist but often factually wrong. Four examples:

On American foreign policy. Following Saddam's 1990 invasion of Kuwait, Khalidi called the widespread resistance to this act of aggression an "idiots' consensus" and called on his colleagues to combat it. After 9/11, he admonished Washington to drop what he called its "hysteria about suicide bombers."

Khalidi asserts that the U.S. government has "yet to support the independence of Arab Palestine," despite open endorsement by President George W. Bush of a Palestinian state, and nearly $1 billion in direct U.S. aid to the West Bank and Gaza since 1993.

And beware anyone who disagrees with Khalidi! He throws reckless accusations out against them, such as calling Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz "a fanatical, extreme right-wing Zionist."

On Palestinian violence. Khalidi glorifies anti-Israel violence as contributing to "political enlightenment" and unsurprisingly admires those who carry it out. His loyalty to Palestinian terrorist groups run so deep that he actually dedicated his 1986 valentine to the PLO, Under Siege, to "those who gave their lives . . . in defense of the cause of Palestine and independence of Lebanon." The book whitewashes PLO violence against Israelis and Lebanese, as well as the Syrian occupation.

On media coverage. When Palestinian violence garners unfavorable publicity, Khalidi's response it to blame the messenger, not the murderers. Thus, in response to Palestinians lynched two off-duty Israeli officers on October 12, 2000, Khalidi did not critique the perpetrators of this crime, but railed against the "prostitute" and "cynical" media that dared to show Palestinians triumphantly displaying bloodied hands after the killings. In like spirit, he faults not those Palestinians who erupted in joyous street celebrations at the murders of 3,000 Americans on 9/11, but the media for having the temerity to report these occurrences.

On Israel as a U.S. ally. In Khalidi's fevered imagination, Israel is not a democratic ally but an "apartheid system in creation" and a destructive "racist" state. In his efforts to indict the Jewish state, Khalidi is quite prepared to make up accusations, such as his claim that Israel's army has "awful weapons of mass destruction (many supplied by the U.S.) that it has used in cities, villages and refugee camps." This is a plain lie. That so few Americans agree with his bizarre reading of Israel's democracy as a menacing enemy state causes him to dismiss them as "brainwashed."

http://www.campus-watch.org/article/id/590

When is an operative and unabashed supporter of a terrorist organization not a terrorist?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:53 pm
@Thomas,
What innuendo did you perceive Thomas?

Please explain in plain English.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:56 pm
@parados,
That's a particularly inane post - even for you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 12:00 am
The LA Times could, without compromising its journalistic ethics, release a transcript of the tape.

Why would they refuse to do so?

0 Replies