Effigy of Sarah Palin hanging by a noose creates uproar in West Hollywood

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:24 am

A West Hollywood Halloween display showing a likeness of Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin hanging by a noose has caused a furor among some residents who reported it as a hate crime, authorities said Monday.

But Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said the mannequin sporting a beehive hairdo, glasses and a red coat does not rise to the level of a hate crime because it was part of a Halloween display.

"I'm not defending this; I'm not criticizing it. It doesn't rise to the level of hate crime," said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, who said he went out to the house himself to look at the display this morning.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-palineffigy28-2008oct28,0,541630.story

What a load of crap. So there is an apparent double standard working in California. If this was Obama hanging, do you think the reaction would be different?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:25 am
@Woiyo9,
I wonder how a Halloween display of O-boy with a bunch of watermelons instead of pumpkins would go over?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:28 am
@Woiyo9,
If someone hung Michelle Obama in effigy, would that constitute a hate crime, Mr. Whitmore?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:42 am
@Woiyo9,
The two guys that put up this display used a dress and wig from their personal wardrobe.
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:47 am
@H2O MAN,
JTT and Cyclo?
revel

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:57 am
@Woiyo9,
It is a hate action towards Palin and is despicable. However, if you were honest you admit that since not too long ago in the history of our country; blacks were hanged all over the country by the KKK and seeing Obama hanging by a noose represents that fact in history making it a statement towards blacks as a race.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:00 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

JTT and Cyclo?

Laughing
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:02 am
@revel,
If you look back in history you will see that women have not been treated kindly of the years.
They have been burned at the stake, hung and attacked by Bill Clinton.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:06 am
@revel,
When exactly will the statute of limitation expire on that "black" issue?

Many people still "mock" American Indians. Is that a hate crime?

Please, get serious.

Acknowledge the double standard for what it is. Acknowledge that only Blacks seems to have a standing as the only minority with cause for "reparations" in this country.

I for one am tired of it and you all need to get acknowledge it and get over it.
revel

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:15 am
@Woiyo9,
People mock blacks and that is not a crime either. I am not even sure having a effigy of Obama or Sara Palin or anyone else is a crime. The statement between the two are merely different.

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:51 am
@revel,
So do I understand you to be saying that if Obama was "hung", the comment from the Police would be no hate crime?
revel

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:16 am
@Woiyo9,
This already happened, woiyo and the police said that wasn't a crime.

Quote:
Fairfield City and school district leaders have "condemned" the actions of a Fairfield resident who last week displayed a ghost with Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama's name on it " hanging from a tree by a noose.

Local 12 Reporter Shawn Ley was the first to speak with Mike Lunsford last week about his display, which Lunsford says was first intended to be a Halloween decoration. Lunsford later decided to write "Hussain" in green marker on it, misspelling Obama's middle name. He also attached part of a campaign yard sign with Obama's last name to his ghost decoration.

Lunsford refused to speak to Local 12 on camera, saying he was worried his views could hurt his employers business ... but he says make no mistake: He doesn't want an African American running the country. Lunsford says he believes Barack Obama is not a "full blooded American." And he says the United States is a white, Christian nation - and only with white Christians should be in power. Lunsford also says he's motivated by the national media which he says is pro-Obama.

Fairfield police received calls from neighbors and passersby but decided Lunsford had not committed any crime. Our partners at the Journal News spoke with Fairfield Police Chief Mike Dickey, who says a Secret Service investigation determined there was no threat to the presidential candidate and is protected under the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=39c3f3ee-24f8-4126-9ea8-f8b18ef1c2d1

http://wkrc.img.cdn.dayport.com/img/dp_thumbs/thumb_1224242185499_0p1978446474928825.jpg
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:17 am
@revel,
OK. I stand corrected.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:29 am
Whoever this is to me doesn't matter - these bozos claim freedom of speech - yes we have freedom of speech, but there are limits such as yelling fire (when there is not fire). Often times, I refer to common sense in such instances - common sense would dictate that this is wrong.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:39 am
@Woiyo9,
Obama is hung....he's black ya know
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:33 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Go wipe your chin!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:07 am
jeezuzz, dudes... cj already started a thread about this days back.

it's right here; http://able2know.org/topic/124591-1#post-3453331

that hard up for something to hate on obama about that you're retreading the same stuff?

Laughing too funny.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:21 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Whoever this is to me doesn't matter - these bozos claim freedom of speech - yes we have freedom of speech, but there are limits such as yelling fire (when there is not fire). Often times, I refer to common sense in such instances - common sense would dictate that this is wrong.
flyboy804

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:26 pm
@flyboy804,
Common sense might help you determine right or wrong but not legal or illegal.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:52 pm
@flyboy804,
Most of our laws are based on common sense and/or based on what a reasonable person would do.
0 Replies