My Best Friend Is Fighting For Her Life

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:06 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:

Timber rattlers are protected in Massachusetts because they're fairly rare.
Still, I think the trooper's response was more than understandable
and the punishment excessive.

He shoud have gotten a bonus,
and a medal for sharpshooting.

This was a clear case of self defense.
The government's reaction was unAmerican;
the Founders woud have been aghast.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:16 am
@Dogz,
Congratulations on Jade 's survival, Dogs.
I wish u and her success and happiness.

Maybe periodic snake hunts on your acreage
(we have the same unit of measure in America) is appropriate ?
I imagine that shotguns are probably the instruments of choice
for killing snakes.

The last time I went snake hunting (the only time),
I was 9 years old. I did not have a shotgun; took along a .30-30 rifle
and a .38 revolver; did not find any snakes.

Good luck !

David
0 Replies

TrinaTrina

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 04:31 pm
@Dogz,
Hi, Dogz. Haven't been on the site for a while, & just saw this thread.

Jade is gorgeous, & I hope her recovery goes well & without any problems. Crises like what you've been through are so scary, and it's such a relief when all is finally well. Hope you'll keep us updated till she's completely out of the woods.

All the best from Kansas to Oz,
Trina
Izzie

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 04:37 pm
@TrinaTrina,
Hey Dogz...

How's Jade doing now?

Hoping she's doing much better now. Posivibes for yer dawg coming your way.

0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:52 pm
Dogz
Where did you go? I hope you and Jade are okay. Anxiously waiting for some good news.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:23 pm
One other thing which would work....

Because of the way snakes are built and move, it would not be terribly hard to make something which would cause them to complete an electric circuit as they attempted to slither across it. One or more of the electrical engineers in the audience could probably fill in the details.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:40 pm
@gungasnake,
If there is grass that conceals snakes' presence,
u might cut it or burn it to protect the pooch.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:33 am
uh... there may be easier methods to catch or kill snakes that don't involve firearms. I'd call a state conservation office of some sort to get their advice. They would know best considering they are most familiar with the animals in their region.

T
K
O
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 03:38 am
According to herp news, an Eastern Brown of Australia is quite a disagreeable critter. It is aggressive, easily agitated and will openly attack with little provocation. Other very venomous snakes of Australia (like the TAipan or sea snakes) are much more docile.
Id say that, unless you really know what your doing, dont **** with em. Avoidance can be difficult especially with critters that can be easily acclimated to humans moving into their habitats. I see a sort of industrial opportunity to develop some sort of environmental screen to place around properties.
I wonder whether mongooses can be used to control big browns?

The only gun Id reccomend would be a shotgun pistol with a severely open choke, and itd have to be capable of firing 6 or lower shot(you want instant stopping power without a lot of collateral damage)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:01 am
@Diest TKO,
Is there a reason to find a way to protect the subject pooch
that don 't involve firearms ?

Is " a state conservation office of some sort " TRUSTWORTHY ?
It may well bear greater loyalty
to the local law than it does to defending the said pooch.

It may be of questionable wisdom to trust a government or its evil spawn.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:07 am
@farmerman,
That makes sense to me, Farmer.

I particularly accept your sexual advice.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It may be of questionable wisdom to trust a government or its evil spawn.

Were gonna let you deliver your own mail David. And also you can test your own food to make sure its not laced with melamine. All wars in the future will be fought by a militia that will be convened by Om Sig David and his cohorts.

All for free.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:24 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

Were gonna let you deliver your own mail David.

Does that mean I have to stop using Fed Ex, UPS or email ?

Quote:

also you can test your own food to make sure its not laced with melamine.

No more FDA ?

Quote:

All wars in the future will be fought by a militia that will be
convened by Om Sig David and his cohorts.

I 'm too old, fat n ugly to do much fighting,
but I must admit that I 've used that argument
against anarchists, in the past (during the Third World War).

I 'm not an anarchist;
just a humble libertarian Originalist Conservative

David
0 Replies

emmakate

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
MESSAGE FROM DOGZ. AWAY FROM HOME & CAN'T LOG IN.
Hi everyone. Jade is now home and settling back into the quiet life. I had some problems on the home front, and wasn't able to get online the past few days, so my apologies. Jade is back to her usual self, and I'm trying hard to keep her quiet for the next 2 weeks.

Farmerman, your posts are great for cheering someone up. The playful bantering between yourself, Gungasnake and OmSigDavid are leaving a smile on my lips everytime I read them. On a serious note though, you are right about the aggression factor in Eastern Browns. I know of a lady nearby who's husband killed one a few days ago with a garden shovel. I am too afraid I wouldn't land a fatal blow and instead it would strike me. So I just try to steer clear of them.

As for firearms...I don't know a single person who owns a gun. It is very rare over here to own a firearm. I imagine it would be a lot harder to obtain one in Australia than it is for Americans. I'm sure Dutchy could fill us in on whether it's as easy process or not. I have never seen a real gun, except in the holster of a policeman. Never seen a rifle/shotgun except in pictures.

Finally, thank you to everybody for your kind wishes, prayers, and thoughts for me and my girl. I feel so lucky to have her back. I still cannot believe she looked death in the eye and made it through. I hope one day I can repay the favour, and offer my words of support should anything this awful happen to you. Lots of kisses from Jade, and me.
margo

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:56 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
an Eastern Brown of Australia is quite a disagreeable critter. It is aggressive, easily agitated and will openly attack with little provocation.

I'll drink to that - while I can.

At my previous house, I was sitting on the edge of the verandah, pulling some weeds out of the garden beside it, with a cat sitting beside me, when I heard a rustling in the grass - and around the corner of the house, at my level, came a bloody brownie! And he was ready to strike! Head up and waving. I jumped up and yelled, kicked the cat away, as she was going to have a look at it, and ran inside. Through the window, I could see that snake was still on the verandah, with head up and looking around. Stayed for a minute or so and then slithered off..

Scary, I tell you. I was just sitting there - so no provocation at all. Even the cat was just sitting beside me as I weeded.

2 dead cats later, I moved closer to the city!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:28 pm
@emmakate,
Great news about Jade. Good luck keeping her mellow during her recovery. Can you seduce her into relaxation with any special treats?

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:39 pm
Great news, indeed. Welcome back to the land of the living, Jade!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:46 pm
@farmerman,
There are two or three kinds of shotshell pistols with rifled barrels believe it or not; a rifled barrel will spread shot out in a bigger hurry than any choke could.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:46 pm
Very happy about Jade! Ssssshh, Jade, relax now..

Margo, that's terrible!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:51 pm
One other possible approach...

ANY member of the weasel family will kill snakes up to reasonable limits in size and there are other animals which will as well including Javelinas (collared peccaries) which some people in Texas keep as pets expressely for that purpose.
0 Replies