My Best Friend Is Fighting For Her Life

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:58 am
@Dogz,
Oh Dogz .... I am so very sorry! I lost a dog last year. I feel your pain. Lots of prayers for Jade and you.

No better buddy than a beloved pet.

Here with you.....waiting.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:44 am
my prayers to you and your dog.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:32 pm
No further news? I hope no news is good news. Dogz must be in Austrailia because (years ago) I was taught that the only venomous snakes in the US are the various kinds of rattlesnakes, water moccasins, coral snakes, and copperheads. Unless the brown snake is another name for copperhead.

Anyhow hoping for the best for you and your friend Dogz.
High Seas

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 02:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
One more person in the US anxiously awaiting news of Jade..... Love and best wishes to her and to her whole family.....
0 Replies

Dogz

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:47 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Thank you to everybody for your thoughts and prayers. I still have 2 hours until the vet opens this morning, but I did get to see her yesterday afternoon. I rang to see how she was and they said I could come and see her. She was beautiful...bandages on both arms, bloodshot and droopy eyes, legs splayed outwards...yet as soon as she heard my voice she tried in vain to stand and come to me. I sat in the pen with her, patting her and talking to her (blubbering, more like it, but she didn't mind), and whenever I stopped stroking her head, she would paw me for more.

The vet is optimistic as her clotting time was down to 2.5 minutes, which was a good sign...still prolonged but a step in the right direction.

Merry Andrew, I am starting to believe in the power of prayer, so thank you, and everyone else who is praying for her. The past has taught me to question the existence of a "higher power", but last night I saw my 7 year old praying. I asked him about it, and he learnt in religious education at school to pray for good things.

BBB and JustBrooke, I am so sorry for your losses. When my Staffy passed, I didn't think I would get over it as it was my first experience of grieving. Having no extended family, the death of a loved one was foreign to me. Thank you for your thoughts.

Dutchy, Imur, Jespah, and everybody who took the time to write, thank you. It's touching to know you are all there, biding the time with me. I will let you know when I hear something. Thank you again, everyone.
JustBrooke

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:24 pm
@Dogz,
Dogz ....... Sweet! That's definitely some promising news. We'll keep the prayers going your way. And please continue to keep us up to speed!

Thank you

(((( Dogz ))))

PS - Animals are so faithful. It breaks off a big chunk of our hearts to lose them or see them suffering. Stay strong, Dogz.
jespah

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:53 pm
@JustBrooke,
'Course we're here. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Brooke, I didn't know about your loss, hon. You're right, they do grab a chunk. We both still have pics of Jake the dog on our nightstands, and think of him often.
Dogz

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 05:45 pm
@jespah,
UPDATE time. Jade made it through the night! She managed to get up to pee this morning, but has no strength and is still out of it, according to the vet. The boys (aged 4 and 7) want to see her, as do I, but the vet is a bit worried about her heart and said the excitement may be too much for her, so wait until tomorrow. They are pushing a lot of fluids through the IV throughout today and tonight, and the vet will ph tomorrow morning with another progress report.

I feel so relieved, yet still have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I think things are finally looking up. I left my shirt with Jade yesterday so she has something with my scent on it while she is in unfamiliar surrounds, so I hope that is bringing her some comfort.

Thank you again everyone. I am glad I posted. I usually only post in the trivia and crossword threads, although I peruse all discussions. I just needed some "doggy" people to talk to and I am overwhelmed by the words of comfort from you all.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:33 pm
I think the news is encouraging. That is supposedly one of the 10 most venomous snakes on earth.

There will probably be a period of extreme caution during which constant vet care is warranted. I hope she continues showing small improvements each day.

I was initially quite pessimistic, ButIll bet that she wasnt envenomated as much as you thought .

Encouraging thoughts. Keep it up doggy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:49 pm
@Dogz,
That is encouraging news, Dogz.

My two old dogs got some extra snuggle time today thanks to Jade.

I'm glad you were able to see her at the vet's yesterday, and hope that you'll have more good news soon.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:01 pm
@Dogz,
I knew Jade would pull through - we're good at pulling together and make the
impossible happen, just by thinking good thoughts, or praying in some cases.

Stay optimistic Dogz, and soon we want to see a picture of Jade. You owe us
at least that! Wink
Dogz

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ, consider it done. I will have to search thru archives to find out how to upload pics though, so may be a day or two. This morning I saw 2 Dobes at the local bakery. I'm sure the owner thought I was a weirdo when I asked if I could pat them. It was bittersweet.

My Staffy didn't pull through because he was bitten on the tongue by the brown. Jade is a lot luckier. Maybe it was a smaller snake, or it got her somewhere harder to penetrate like the paw or leg. Either way, I feel very lucky. Still a long road to recovery, but as long as it's uphill and not down, I am prepared for it.
littlek

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:01 pm
@Dogz,
Dogz, I've been reading along for a while now. I was biting my nails with the others, but just a little more quietly. I know what having a sick animal can mean to owners who love them. I'm routing for your buddy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:30 am
Great news, Dogz. We are all so glad to hear it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:43 am
I somehow missed this thread. Yikes.

I'll get in the line of Jade wishes, and for you too, dogz.

I'm a bit of a dobie lover, as my corgi's best pal was a sweetie dobie.

So, more Jade wishes sent to you.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 04:56 am
@Dogz,
Wow, Jade must be a cat in disguise! Thanks for the update, Dogz. Posivibes (thanks Izzie!) from the Emerald Isle.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:07 am
@Dogz,
Still thinking about you and Jade and hoping for the best.
Dogz

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:37 pm
@TTH,
Jade is improving. The vet let me have another visit with her this morning. She still has the IV, and they will offer her food today to see if she is interested. She is still very weak. I noticed something a little odd about her behaviour though, and mentioned it to the vet nurse. He said she was "still out of it", so I hope that's all it is.

Thank you to everybody for your kind thoughts. I will hopefully have a picture of my girl on soon, for you all to see (thanks to Dutchy for the assistance). I'll let you know when she comes home. Until then...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:57 pm
@Dogz,
Thank you for the update, Dogz.

It's good that you were able to visit with Jade again. She's had quite a shock to her body, so it really would not be surprising if she was 'out of it' for a while.

Love her up when you can, and as she'll let you.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:28 pm
@Dogz,
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7691/jadekv6.png
Meet Dogz's lovely girl "Jade".