My Best Friend Is Fighting For Her Life

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:35 pm
@Dutchy,
Awwww...

I'm so glad to see they didn't clip her ears or, presumably, tail.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:37 pm
@Dutchy,
that girl has personality plus+
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:39 pm
I suspect Jade's not quite out of danger yet. The problem persists for a while.

I've lost 2 cats to brown snakes - one rallied but just couldn't pull through and gave up after a couple of days.

Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:40 pm
What a beautiful dog Jade is and the name fits her so well. Looks like she
has a great personality too!
0 Replies

Dogz

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Thanks Dutchy! She is beautiful Very Happy

Merry Andrew, ear cropping is illegal in Australia, so she has her normal floppy ears. As for the tail, she is docked. Tail docking has only recently been outlawed in Australia, so until about a year ago the Dobe breed standard consisted of a docked tail.

2 hours until my next call to the vet for a progress report. I am not worried anymore...more just anxious to see her and cuddle with her. (I get more affection from her than my husband, just quietly! Shocked )
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
@Dogz,
Wonderful dogface Jade.

Hang in there, dogz.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:41 pm
My sympathies to people with these kinds of snake problems...

I see several kinds of snake traps on the net including one or two specifically meant for brown snakes:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/amme/wetlands/wetland_tour/live_bait_snake_trap_lg.jpg
Dutchy

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 09:51 pm
@gungasnake,
Gungasnake all Snakes are protected by law (Nature Conservation Act 1980) in all states and territories of Australia and may not be killed unless they threaten life. Offences under the Act carry severe penalties.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:58 pm
@Dutchy,
My gut reaction to that is to say, "Well, good on the Aussies!" But in sober retrospect I have mixed feelings about such legislation. In the US -- unless a wide-spread species is classified as "threatened" -- the protection of various forms of wildlife is left up to each individual state. There was an incident in my state of Massachusetts quite a number of years ago that left me scratching my head. A trooper on horseback was patrolling a state park not far from the city limits of Boston (The Blue Hills ). He shot and killed an Eastern Diamondback Timber Rattlesnake that had suddenly raised its head and was about to bite his horse's foreleg. He said later that it had been an almost reflexive action to protect his mount. If I remember correctly, he not only lost his job but had to go to court and pay a hefty fine. Timber rattlers are protected in Massachusetts because they're fairly rare. Still, I think the trooper's response was more than understandable and the punishment excessive.
TTH

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:34 pm
@Dutchy,
Dutchy that was sweet of you to post Jade's picture. Dogz, Jade is a beauty. I love her colors. Still hoping everything turns out okay.
Dogz

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 12:14 am
@TTH,
Thanks TTH. I think so too, but I may be a little biased!

Merry Andrew, that seems extreme punishment for the trooper. Had it bit the horse, he probably would have been spooked and reared, perhaps bucking the trooper off and endangering his life with a snake there on the ground. Of course it's gut instinct to protect loved ones, be it human or animal. He should have got a bravery medal, in my book.

As for the law over here in Oz, sorry Dutchy, but if I saw the snake responsible for getting Jade, I would not hesitate in chopping it into pieces. It was only after I saw Gunga's post that I searched for the traps online. There are some available over here, but very expensive. Also, I live on 2 acres (don't know the US equivalent measurement, but the average residential site is less than 1 acre), and it wouldn't be feasible to lay traps everywhere, even if I could afford to. I know I chose to live on acreage, and therefore have to put up with snakes and the like, but I still hate them with a vengance, especially now.

Jade is to spend another night in hospital, the vet just told me. That's ok though. Apparently the toxins from the venom are still in her body, and she is susceptible to cardiac arrests over the next few weeks so I need to keep her as close to me as possible (perfect excuse for pampering and cuddles...I don't need to be told twice!).

17 hours until tomorrow morning's update...but who's counting Embarrassed
gungasnake

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 03:35 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
Gungasnake all Snakes are protected by law (Nature Conservation Act 1980) in all states and territories of Australia and may not be killed unless they threaten life. Offences under the Act carry severe penalties....

If that's the case then you've got a significantly worse problem than toxic snakes. You need to fix your political system and THEN get rid of the toxic wildlife.

But make no mistake, the toxic snakes and spiders you see in Australia are creatures of Pandora's box and not anything which God or Chuck Darwin put there for anything resembling a rational reason. God gave us cats to keep the lid down on mice and rats. Cats kill mice and rats, cuddle and purr for us, and prevent our children from having allergy problems or asthma; you don't read about cats POISONING children very often.

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 03:57 am
@gungasnake,
so, it appears that gungas bio-logic has no clue about biogeography.
EVer wonder why all these toxic species exist in Australia and nowhere else? Howd they get there gunga?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 03:59 am
sorry dogz, but Ive got this running amusement with gungasnork. Please dont judge the rest of the people by my above testy behavior. Im generally quite harmless
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 04:07 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
Re: gungasnake(Post 3451704)
Gungasnake all Snakes are protected by law (Nature Conservation Act 1980) in all states and territories of Australia and may not be killed unless they threaten life. Offences under the Act carry severe penalties.

I saw a film on TV of thousands of cattle being de-horned with bolt-cutters before being shipped to Asia from one of your ports. And packed in like sardines on the boat. How they were slaughtered at the destination wasn't shown.

Which rather makes it look as if snake protection is more about some bleeding-hearts getting their names in the paper than any concern for animal welfare.
jespah

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 04:23 am
Dogz, Jade's a beautiful gal. I hope the waiting goes quickly.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 04:24 am
@Dogz,
Still thinking about you & Jade. I talked to my dog, pictured below, and she sends her best wishes.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5184/bestfriendms0.jpg
I know if she could talk she would want to meet Jade Smile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 05:33 am
@spendius,
Quote:

I saw a film on TV of thousands of cattle being de-horned with bolt-cutters before being shipped to Asia from one of your ports. And packed in like sardines on the boat. How they were slaughtered at the destination wasn't shown.

Which rather makes it look as if snake protection is more about some bleeding-hearts getting their names in the paper than any concern for animal welfare.

You got it. Something like 99% of all the animal species ever to walk the Earth are now extinct, including the smaller raptors and numerous other things which would have killed and eaten any of us on sight. I know for sure I don't miss any of them and I wouldn't miss the brown snake or the funnel-web spider if I were living in Australia and they were to join the velociraptors.

High Seas

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 01:35 pm
@spendius,
Thank you for that post, Spendius. We also saw the "packed-like-sardines" cattle on trucks (some with broken legs, in horrifying pain) getting shipped on lorries, and we saw the brave English woman who was crushed by one of those trucks when she tried to stop it. We also do our best here, but we're behind the Brits, and most Europeans, in that respect.

Dogz - so glad to make your acquaintance, and of course that of Jade as well Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:58 am
@gungasnake,

Quote:

You got it. Something like 99% of all the animal species ever to walk the Earth are now extinct,
including the smaller raptors and numerous other things which would have killed and eaten any of us on sight.
I know for sure I don't miss any of them and I wouldn't miss the brown snake or the funnel-web spider if I were living in Australia and they were to join the velociraptors.

Yes.
SO STIPULATED

I include flies and authoritarian leftists among
my wishes for extinction.
0 Replies