word to describe weakening religious faith

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 08:24 am
If a believer's faith in a religion has become weaker, what is the word to describe this state? Can I say "He has backslid"? If not, what is the correct word to use?

Many thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,288 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 08:31 am
@tanguatlay,
Maturing?
Waking up?
Wising up?
Seeing sense?
Using his brain?
Realisation?
Epiphany?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:05 am
@tanguatlay,
"He is backsliding" is a good expression, but as a rule usually used amongst Baptist. If he is a Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican or member of a mainstream church the word backsliding would as a rule not be used.
"His faith is getting weaker" would be better.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:15 am
it may be said that "he has sobered up and is becoming drug free"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
Doubt.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
I hope our overseas poster understands our sense of humor.

Brain patient recovers from brain damage. Now believes in UFOs instead of religion.

BBB
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
Be careful what expressions you use to a foreigner regarding word to describe something in your language. What is fun amongst Americans can be very much misunderstood by a foreign person and he/she might get into trouble.
To say a person is maturing because his religious faith is weakening is an opinon and not a fact. We do not know the rest of the story.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:26 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
If a believer's faith in a religion has become weaker, what is the word to describe this state? Can I say "He has backslid"? If not, what is the correct word to use?

It's a good question. I'm not familiar with a single word which summarizes a state of "weakening faith".

However, the terms Disenchanted and Disillusioned apply in a more general sense, and come the closest in meaning.

You could say, "He has become disenchanted with his religion", or "He is becoming disenchanted with his religion".

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:38 pm
@tanguatlay,
Look up the word 'apostasy.' It might fit what you have in mind. An apostate is a person who once embraced a faith but has 'backslid' and no longer believes. In the old days in Europe, an apostate would be burned at the stake for his/her apostasy.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:41 pm
I like Drewdad's "doubt": "He's beginning to doubt his faith", and so on...
0 Replies