correct phrase/punctuation

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:02 pm
I really appreciate the culture of Ying Wa(,) which does not only emphasize / not only emphasizes academic performance but also the whole person's development. The learning atmosphere in the school also impressed me very much.

Is the comma needed? Should I use 'does not emphasize' or 'not only emphasizes'?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,471 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:05 am
@tanguatlay,
I really appreciate the culture of Ying Wa, which not only emphasizes academic performance, but also the whole person's development. The learning atmosphere in the school also impressed me very much.

See above. I've added a comma at the end of performance.

Here's an excellent grammar/style manual you may be interested in:

http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/style.html

It's called The Elements Of Style by Strunk and White

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:58 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Thanks, Cliff Hanger.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Cliff Hanger,
Strunk and White's book is not one that an ESL, or even an ENL, should be going to for advice on grammar.

G Pullum, one of the authors of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language says of it,

"... Strunk and White's toxic little compendium of bad grammatical advice ..."
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 08:38 am
@Cliff Hanger,

I really appreciate the culture of Ying Wa, which not only emphasizes academic performance, but also the whole person's development. The learning atmosphere in the school also impressed me very much.

With due respect to Cliff Hanger, I would like to know whether a comma is really necessary after 'performance'. I have always thought that it should be 'not only ... but also'. (no comma).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 05:22 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Cliff Hanger,
Strunk and White's book is not one that an ESL, or even an ENL, should be going to for advice on grammar.

G Pullum, one of the authors of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language says of it,

"... Strunk and White's toxic little compendium of bad grammatical advice ..."

You're welcome to your opinion and I take it this is a Brit critisizing Strunk and White?

I've found Strunk and White to be useful in stripping away a lot of the excess and getting straight to the point.

I don't see why it couldn't assist someone in learning English. Especially when they are self-motivated.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 05:28 am
@tanguatlay,
Mr. Tang, Strunk and White will go into the explanation of why you ought to use commas when putting "which" into a sentence.

0 Replies