Ya can dress her up but why would they let her out?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:15 am
let's be generous here folks...let all that free clothing be a consolation prize for losing the election.... she can wear that stuff when she comes in runner up in her next beauty pageant....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:16 am
@Miller,
Well now Kak I'm sure that to you it would be like throwing a Sequoia into the Grand Canyon......
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:17 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Are coming out of Michelle's closet, Miller? How would you know what's in there?

For those of us living in civilized cities of the World, it usually means reading fashion magazines. For those who live on farms, there's always the Sears catalog .
JPB

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:20 am
@sozobe,
Soz, how do donations to the candidate as described above differ from donations to the party. It appears that the funds in question are funds spent by the RNC. Do the same limitations apply?
sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:24 am
@JPB,
I have no idea. Marc Ambinder asked for feedback and I bet he'll get something more definitive soon... I'll keep an eye out.

The part about the clothes going to charity once the election is over from the official statement on this had me suspicious right off the bat. (I don't know if that adequately covers their asses or not but it made me think that there might be some legal and not just PR-related ass-covering going on.)
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:44 am
@Miller,
Why? I've read the New Testament but I can't change water into wine and you reading Vogue won't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:46 am
@sozobe,
HA! Remember the slime from the Right about Clinton claiming charitable donations on his taxes and the comments about the value of his donated underwear?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 09:50 am
from Soz' reference

Quote:
(2) Conversion
For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--

(B) a clothing purchase;

If Governor Palin had needed the clothes for purposes other than a federal election campaign, then there might be an argument against the RNC purchase. Seems to me that anything required for the campaign is fair play, based on this reference. An extra stroller could be covered under the same clause.

I'd expect that campaign wardrobe expenses for the Obama, Biden and McCain families would be covered the same way.
JPB

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:06 am
@ehBeth,
But how can something like make-up sessions be anything other than personal use? She can't donate those to charity and unless she can demonstrate that she never wore makeup and couldn't apply it herself, which is doubtful, then it couldn't be a necessity of the campaign irrespective of the candidate's election campaign.

Also, one of the points made in the original Yahoo article is that no such expenditures exist on the DNC or Obama campaign.

Quote:
A review of similar records for the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee turned up no similar spending. yahoo

I love the attempt to deflect the question by the RNC...

"With all of the important issues facing the country right now, it’s remarkable that we’re spending time talking about pantsuits and blouses," said spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt. "It was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign."
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:14 am
@JPB,
From what I've seen of Governor Palin's mayoral and gubernatorial debates, she'd definitely have had to learn more about television and stage make-up ... and how to cover up what appears to be tattoed lipliner.

And honestly, I'm suspicious of campaign wardrobe items not appearing on the Obama side.

~~~

Stupid thing to have been brought up from either side. In this case, makes me think less of Democrats on two counts.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
@JPB,
but Edwards haircut...Kerry's Botox....Hillary's pantsuits....newsworthy.... if your candy ass can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:25 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Stupid thing to have been brought up from either side. In this case, makes me think less of Democrats on two counts.

I'm under the impression this is a media investigation, not the Dems. Although I'm sure they're getting a good chuckle out of it. The same with the $21,000 in potentially illegal "first family" travel expenses.

Both would really piss me off if I was a contributer and/or Alaska tax-payer.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm
Speaking of makeup and returning items so it doesn't trigger the gift tax...

How is McCain going to return all this makeup to the RNC so he doesn't have to pay taxes on it?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/10/mccains_american_idol_make-up.html

Quote:
McCain's American Idol Make-Up Artist Makes Big Bucks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/10/21/PH2008102100881.jpg

Remember last month when Republican presidential nominee John McCain got made up by the American Idol make-up artist?

Well, it wasn't a one-shot deal. The make-up artist to the wannabe-stars is getting paid beaucoup bucks to make McCain, 72, more telegenic.

Tifanie White, who reportedly has done makeup for the shows "So You Think You Can Dance" and "American Idol," was paid a total of $8,672.55 in September by the McCain-Palin campaign, according to the campaign's latest monthly financial report filed this week with the Federal Election Commission. She was paid $5,583.43 the previous month, records show.

We asked McCain campaign spokesman Brian Rogers whether McCain was happy with the American Idol make-up artist's work, and whether Ms. White also does makeup for McCain's naturally telegenic vice presidential running mate, Sarah Palin. Rogers replied via email, "No comment."

We refrained from asking whether McCain might have a future on "American Idol" if things don't break his way two weeks from today on Election Day. But at least he has an in if he so chooses.

The straight-talk express could use a few tips from Jamie Lee Curtis and the Dove Girls about just being yourself, flaws and all.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm
see? she really is a reformer.

she reformed campaign money into shopping money. for herself, her husband and all the little palins. and reformed taxpayer's money into family vacations.

a reformer and family values. how could we go wrong? Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
scrape it off and use it to rebuild the New Orleans levees...there should be enough
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@JTT,
It's good for the economy, stupid.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:34 pm
Meanwhile...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/22/9355/4279/150/638528

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 01:31 pm
@sozobe,
Update from Ambinder (someone wrote to him saying):

Quote:
I work in campaign finance on the Democratic side and I would say re: Palin's wardrobe --- this is kind of shaky ground for them but just like there is an automobile exemption if it is for campaign use I would guess they will be fine as long as they can demonstrate that it is really a campaign wardrobe and not enhancing her personal wardrobe with campaign funds. There is not an explicit exemption for clothing but that seems to be the spirit. The real questions there are a) where are the clothes kept?

As you raise online.... are they lining Palin's suitcases and closet, or are they kept on campaign buses, planes, advance staff as part of her wardrobing and event advance? and b) what happens to the clothes after the campaign? If they remain with the RNC and are disposed of like other RNC property then I thnk they are ok. If Palin keeps them, it seems like a clear violation.

Hence going to charity after the election.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 01:57 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Hence going to charity after the election.

to the family of a newly unemployed governor?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 05:23 pm
I think Palin should spend some money on some better lipstick.